One mash, two boils?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JZehr

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am well setup to do 5 gal AG batches in my apartment, but.... I want MOAR! I only have a 9 gal BK and a 7.5 gal HLT, so I can't really do a full boil of a 10 gallon wort. I am thinking about doing a large mash (1.056 or so APA, 10 gal cooler), collecting the runnings into the 15 gal conical fermenter I have, mixing it well and doing two 6ish gallon boils with the same hop schedule, cooling, combining the two and fermenting in the 15 gallon conical.

I realize there will be some minor differences in hop utilization and gravity, but I will be blending the "two" beers anyway. Any serious issues I am not thinking of here?

Thanks for your input!
JZ

i was thinking of doing something fairly similar.... I am looking to really refine my stout recipe so my plan is to do a 10g mash with the base recipe that I have and do 3 3.3(ish)g boils but ferment them all separately.... that way I can play with hop schedules, different yeasts, spices, ect. Dose any one else do this to really refine one recipe but splitting the batches???

+1 on the 15 gallon conical wish!!

You guys will hate me. The company I work for was doing corn ethanol research and they had some lab scale fermentation work going on. Once the project was over, they were going to throw away all of the gear they weren't going to use anymore... so I got a SS 15 gal for really cheap! :rockin:

Back