One food you have never had... but are curious

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh man, whoever said chicken & waffles needs to try it. Dense crispy/fluffy Belgian waffles, good fried chicken, hi q syrup and hot sauce... It's one of those things I get a raving for every month. The wife too.

I would love to try fresh sea urchin.

I wonder if anybody has used wafle batter to batter fried chicken, or pound chicken breast flat enough to cook it in a waffle iron, after being dipped in waffle batter of course. Hhhhhmmmmmm...

dinosaur catered our Wedding at Letchworth and most of the Southerners were very happy. Now, thats the Bless your Heart politeness of a wedding though. I thought it was good but then again we had been drinking flying bison and blueberry mead for 10 hours. You know you turned southern when you're standing at the grill with the chef at your own wedding.

Your not quite there you where drinking @ a wedding ;):tank:

I have had quite a few different kinds of game

beef
deer
Gator
kangaroo
camel
rattle snake
Elk
bison
Turkey
wild Turkey
frog
chicken
pheasant
duck
goose
quail
goat
lamb/mutton
Moose

one of the few on the list I would like to try is bear.

traveling for work I have experienced some rather diverse cuisine, though nothing truly "weird".

I always try to sample at least some of the local offering when I get somewhere, but I also don't go out of my way for outrageous foods either.

fir fir and kitfo in Ethiopia
Various dishes in the middle east I don't remember the names of.
Singapore doesn't really have anything unique to them, the whole country is kind of a hodge podge.
Ireland, Germany, France, England, and Canada all had pretty "normal" food.

Ever had wild boar? It's pretty good, somewhere between regular pork and beef. I've never had bear, but I hear it's greasy.

I've not had wild boar. I'd be willing to give it a try though. boar and hogs aren't a problem in MN, thankfully. It sounds like they are quite the headache.

I've heard bear is one meat that really needs proper care from field to plate to be any good.

I've not had wild boar. I'd be willing to give it a try though. boar and hogs aren't a problem in MN, thankfully. It sounds like they are quite the headache.

I've heard bear is one meat that really needs proper care from field to plate to be any good.

I haven't had an opportunity for Camel from your list.
I had Boar when I lived in south Carolina and Georgia.
Inland bear is fine, Spring or Fall; but along the coasts and salmon streams I don't Fall bear, when they're on the Salmon, the meat is very strong and unpleasant. I really like Spring bear and we usually treat it similar to the way we treat any wild meat, dress it, clean it, cool it quickly, age for a couple of days, package and freeze.

I live in pa and have had bear on quite a few occasions... I've had it and it was awesome and had it when it was awful... If you don't cook it right its tough and greasy

I live in pa and have had bear on quite a few occasions... I've had it and it was awesome and had it when it was awful... If you don't cook it right its tough and greasy

makes sense. deer is the same way. treated well and it is awesome. leave it on the back of a truck all weekend while showing it off to everyone and it tends to get nasty.

This is one reason why I process my own. After field dressing it goes into a cooler. It stays on ice until it is butchered. Then it goes into the freezer.

It sounds like some bear hunters are even worse when it comes to showing off.

Are bears so plentiful that hunting them doesnt have ecological ramifications? Seems to me, assuming one finds bear meat palatable, that one bear could provide weeks worth of fresh, frozen, and smoked meat not to mention a giant pelt, a trophy head etc.

If there are lots of bears, that sounds awesome and something I would want to be a part of. If killing off a few puts their population at risk... not so much.

Are bears so plentiful that hunting them doesnt have ecological ramifications? Seems to me, assuming one finds bear meat palatable, that one bear could provide weeks worth of fresh, frozen, and smoked meat not to mention a giant pelt, a trophy head etc.

If there are lots of bears, that sounds awesome and something I would want to be a part of. If killing off a few puts their population at risk... not so much.

We definitely have quite a good population of bears, Blacks and Browns. In fact, the river here in my town, aptly called Eagle River, is a major Brown Bear highway. Our problem is that suburban Anchorage is spreading more and more into their territory and so there is more conflict.

Sailor, I get the feeling you have at least one bearskin rug, and an emergency supply of Barry White CDs/LPs. Amirite??

I have a bearskin rug, actually wall hanging - Black Bear. I have not purposely hunted a Brown yet.
I have Caribou and Moose hides, several varieties of Fox, Wolverine, Wolf, lots of rabbit hides and from the States, I have Raccon, Possum, Woodchuck and others.
One of my favorite passtimes is of course; eating and I like variety.
One of my hobbies is Flytying, so hides and feathers offer me much in the way of material support rather than buying them in a Fly Shop.

all kidding aside I really appreciate the fact that you not only eat what you hunt but that you throw away very little.

I have and it wasn't bad at all and I usually make it into sausage, mild for the Wife and kids and spicy for me and a few others. We tend to prefer Moose, it is one of our favorite meats except I think Elk is the best meat I've eaten, even over Moose, but not by much. Although, Mountain Goat is pretty good and for that matter so is Dall Sheep - Dang it now I can't concentrate on work

Sweet onion chutney. I used to be a-ok with our Canadian neighbors until this moment... now that they are in between me and the bear jerky. Sounds uber good.

Creamy, if you ever get the chance, you need to try some Swan. We have friends out in Bethel AK and when she cooks up a fresh Swan from the Tundra, it is almost Heavenly! When we visit in the Fall, we get Swan, Sandhill Crane and other delights from our Yup'ik Friends. Up in Kotzebue, our friends have shared Seal, Sheefish and King and Opilio Crab. I am sure going to miss those meals when we move to the States next year.

I thought I had andouille before but im in NOLA and stopped at the market for some grill time. Now THAT is some damn andouille! Now its time to go crabbin and hunting crawfish, oh and of course that elusive catch they call buzz!!

Sea urchin is something I want to try.

one of the VERY few things i can't stand. i know the japanese love it, and i tend to really like japanese food and seafood especially, but it tastes to me like the blech that crawls up into the back of your mouth when you are just getting over the flu

Since the wife is out of town I was able to score some pork tails for $1.49. They roast up nice and crispy... but I pay for it the next morning.

Foie Gras. I love chopped chicken liver and organ meats in general.

I especially love fried chicken livers, but duck or goose liver makes chicken livers seem like garbage - that's just how good duck or goose liver tastes.

Now, if you knew how the French maximise the liver growth in their geese farming industry then you might not want to eat foie gras. They basically keep them in cages, force feed them daily then hold their throats so they can't cough/vomit it back out. But it does taste extremely good, and it's expensive.

I especially love fried chicken livers, but duck or goose liver makes chicken livers seem like garbage - that's just how good duck or goose liver tastes.

yep!

there is the 'wild' version of foie gras as well.
http://www.lapateria.eu/company.html
i have never had it but people rave about it. i am not a great fan of animal cruelty in general but i can easily get past a bit of gavage (force feeding). especially for goose foie gras...

Soooo... day before yesterday I go to the supermarket and see "Manager's Special! 1lb pork tails, $1.49!"

Score! The wife is away on business, I'm making these!

I ate them. They tasted good. And I got sick as a dog. Never again.

Soooo... day before yesterday I go to the supermarket and see "Manager's Special! 1lb pork tails, $1.49!"

You drunk yourself silly didn't you?
Don't blame it on the poor curlies now... ;)

CreamyGoodness said:

Most people attribute food poisoning to the wrong food. It usually takes about 16 hours for the colony to build up to toxic levels.

Further, if the ears were bad, that is the fault of poor food handling, not the food itself. It could have just as easily happened to chicken lips.

Most people attribute food poisoning to the wrong food. It usually takes about 16 hours for the colony to build up to toxic levels.

Further, if the ears were bad, that is the fault of poor food handling, not the food itself. It could have just as easily happened to chicken lips.

Eh, there was nothing pathelogical in the tails, Im sure, its just that they are so greasy as to make me feel ill.

Eh, there was nothing pathelogical in the tails, Im sure, its just that they are so greasy as to make me feel ill.

A buddy of mine has the same problem with roast goose, poor guy was puking Christmas night & the following morning; everybody else thought it was a tasty goose.
Regards, GF.

Latest posts

Back