One child

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the advent of Vista Print, business cards are so cheap .... I have some with that black line oval and inside the oval it just says MYOFB

These can be handed out on numerous occasions from conversations about parenting or drinking or sports or education or politics, and invariably down here in the Bible belt - theology

and they are reusable - after I give you mine you can regift it to someone like your boss or your mother in law

With the advent of Vista Print, ... black line oval and inside the oval it just says MYOFB

I like this idea. My kids are 9 and 7 now and people think they are so helpful when they suggest things we should be doing. I think I'd like have a few of those cards printed.

But to be fair, 'only children' are definitely "different" than kids with siblings. You can spot 'em pretty easily in school and extracurricular activities.

OP - Good luck with your child.

My kid is going to grow up in Queens. He's going to have playmates and people over out the nose. I think we've made a good compromise.

Nutty, in what way? My daughter is an only child and behaves herself.

Its just something one can see in interpersonal interactions and reactions. I'm not going to define it in negative terms because that would be unfair and prejudicial. They are just a bit different.

I like this idea. My kids are 9 and 7 now and people think they are so helpful when they suggest things we should be doing. I think I'd like have a few of those cards printed.

But to be fair, 'only children' are definitely "different" than kids with siblings. You can spot 'em pretty easily in school and extracurricular activities.

OP - Good luck with your child.

I think the blanket statement you made in the 2nd paragraph is part of what bothers some of us "only" parents. ALL kids are definitely "different", singling out our children is exactly what we'd ask you not to do.

If my child was easily spotted as an only in school and extra-curriculars, I'm getting way too many questions about her "siblings" from parents I meet. She's far better adjusted then many of her schoolmates regardless of their respective sibling situations.

Well, being as I generally don't give a damn about 'nice' when it comes to family...

Nutty, feel free to kiss my ass, and stick your armchair psychology where the sun doesn't shine. Stating that 'you don't want to define it in negative terms' means you just did.

There's nothing 'different' in any child that doesn't have siblings.

If you're inferring that they might be 'spoiled', I have met *many* children that had brothers and sisters that were about as rotten as 3 month old milk and many only children that were well behaved.

I am an only as is my daughter and I would have it no other way. My daughter is both well mannered and well adjusted socially.

Personally I don't care how many kids other people have. Why should I? On the other side of it don't ask me why I only have one.

FYI - regarding the "only child syndrome" stuff, they've disproven that theory. Only children do not suffer from any kind of social anomie. I'll see if I can find the articles my wife and I were reading when we were deciding what we wanted to do.

Our daughter will probably be weird, but mostly because her mom and I are weird. We're pretty juvenile/immature by most people's standards. So our daughter will have quirks and skills that other kids don't. I don't see that as a negative trait at all.

It's like you can always tell the kids that come from a well-read and wealthy home... but ****, I wanted to be those kids when I was young and poor :p

There is no guarantee that sibs will be friends with each other and sibs born more than about three or four years apart are also likely to be sociologically speaking "singletons" so you can have a family with two or three (or more) single children at least in terms of how they play and interact with one another

Well, being as I generally don't give a damn about 'nice' when it comes to family...

Nutty, feel free to kiss my ass, and stick your armchair psychology where the sun doesn't shine. Stating that 'you don't want to define it in negative terms' means you just did.

There's nothing 'different' in any child that doesn't have siblings.

If you're inferring that they might be 'spoiled', I have met *many* children that had brothers and sisters that were about as rotten as 3 month old milk and many only children that were well behaved.

Easy does it there, D'artagnan.

I found myself wondering why the OP and wife chose to have a child if any, when they have minimal time with all their hobbies.

OP you can be a bit more respectful with your responses and just end a conversation with "we chose to only have one."

I do get you were fired up when you posted and it is all good.

There is no guarantee that sibs will be friends with each other and sibs born more than about three or four years apart are also likely to be sociologically speaking "singletons" so you can have a family with two or three (or more) single children at least in terms of how they play and interact with one another

My brother is 4 years older than me and we did not spend much time together then or now and we are both in our 30's. My friend I grew up with is more of an uncle to my kids.

When my wife and I got together, we knew we wernt going to have children. I really didnt want a child due to how ****ed up this world already is, and she had already been dx with cervical cancer and had part of her cervix removed. Basically she was told she couldnt have children. We then became pregnant.

Our son is now 15 months old, smart as a button, and we wouldnt change him for anything in the world. As for having multiple children, people are free to do their own thing, but dont impose it on others. People often tell me that I need to have another, and I tell them Im fixed (@ 27 years old). They scoff and I tell them how hard my wifes pregnancy was, because it was a nightmare, and then they realize "ok, one is enought". But it should have to be explained. children are expensive.

My wife and I both work in healthcare, and let me tell you, there are a lot of people who shouldnt have kids. I, unfortunately, work at a facility with a dedicated childrens hospital. I say unfortunately, bc I have seen the ****ed up **** that happens to kids and I dont wish to see all the time. Kids who have to be sedated with ketamine bc their parents did meth while she was a fetus. The kids who always come in with cuts and bruises from the "daycare" after they picked them up. Hell, the kid who was shot twice in a drive by last month. The list could go on.

If you have one kid and thats your preference, then thats your preference. Spoil then, raise them right, and so on. That is your choice, not others. Tell them to **** off and have as many kids as they wish...

Latest posts

Back