On Our Own

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Today, our youngest (23) moves out and into his own place. He did not go to school, he has a slight learning disability and some other challenges. But for the past three years, he has been working his way up within UPS, starting with loading trucks at 4 am, and is now a full-time, permanent driver - and a Teamster. So he's able to support himself. He'll be close by, about 3 blocks away, but its his own place. Last weekend, we went to IKEA and bought him a bunch of stuff.

The one bedroom apartment he's moving into is being vacated by his 25 year old brother and fiance, who are moving into a nicer and bigger place, now that her graduate degree is finished. They are moving even closer to us - literally across the street.

But for us, it will be a big change to not have any children at home. Next week, I'll be out of town the entire week, so Nancy will be by herself at home entirely. I think she's looking forward to it!

Today, our youngest (23) moves out and into his own place. He did not go to school, he has a slight learning disability and some other challenges. But for the past three years, he has been working his way up within UPS, starting with loading trucks at 4 am, and is now a full-time, permanent driver - and a Teamster. So he's able to support himself. He'll be close by, about 3 blocks away, but its his own place. Last weekend, we went to IKEA and bought him a bunch of stuff.

The one bedroom apartment he's moving into is being vacated by his 25 year old brother and fiance, who are moving into a nicer and bigger place, now that her graduate degree is finished. They are moving even closer to us - literally across the street.

But for us, it will be a big change to not have any children at home. Next week, I'll be out of town the entire week, so Nancy will be by herself at home entirely. I think she's looking forward to it!

It'll be a change for sure, being "empty nesters" and all. I know that in our case, it was an adjustment because our kids went from being with us full-time to gone, sort of that fast. I hate to admit it, but after the adjustment period, we felt free and happy. :)

The hard part for me now is that my son used to live in the same town for several years after he got his own place, and I saw him often but haven't seen him since he moved to Georgia and I do miss him so much.

I'm excited for R to be out on his own for the first time- that's a huge step and a positive one for sure. Maybe Nancy will be lonely next week, but I bet she'll do just fine without her men around. :ban:

The hard part for me now is that my son used to live in the same town for several years after he got his own place, and I saw him often but haven't seen him since he moved to Georgia and I do miss him so much.

I hear that. We are fortunate that our children, while out of the home, are very close by. And I do think about the time when that won't be the case. You have my sympathy, it must be very hard.

Nice to meet you Pappers_, I'm sure it'll be an adjustment (I'm only 28 so I wouldn't know yet, although my parents would), but at least everyone is still quite close by! Easy to visit. And more time/space to homebrew ;)

Nice to meet you Pappers_, I'm sure it'll be an adjustment (I'm only 28 so I wouldn't know yet, although my parents would), but at least everyone is still quite close by! Easy to visit. And more time/space to homebrew ;)

The cool thing is that I brew most of the time with my oldest - it gives us something to do together.

18485827_10212339829707813_2301503062631265808_n.jpg

Good for him, and good for you, Pappers...

Mine are younger (9/7/4), so it's a ways away for me. But your mention of your son's learning disability got to me a bit as my middle child has autism. Although he's only 7, I worry about his future ability to live independently and look forward to the day that he can be on his own, even if he's only 3 blocks away and still needs some support.

Enjoy the peace and quiet!

Congratulations to both your sons on their success! You and the wife should give yourselves a pat on the back. If not for proper rearing they would not have succeeded.
And I just like to point out that's not so much of a "Brew Room" as it looks like a BREWERY!

My son and his girlfriend bought a house together last year though he had moved out 4 years prior. They live about 20 minutes away, but like everything in life we
probably only see them once a month if that much. Though the wife and I have been enjoying a quiet house with just the cats.

@Yooper , I know how you feel. Our daughter lived close by until her husband got a job offer in Baltimore that couldn't be passed up.
Where in GA is your son?

Congratulations to both your sons on their success! You and the wife should give yourselves a pat on the back. If not for proper rearing they would not have succeeded.
And I just like to point out that's not so much of a "Brew Room" as it looks like a BREWERY!

My son and his girlfriend bought a house together last year though he had moved out 4 years prior. They live about 20 minutes away, but like everything in life we
probably only see them once a month if that much. Though the wife and I have been enjoying a quiet house with just the cats.

@Yooper , I know how you feel. Our daughter lived close by until her husband got a job offer in Baltimore that couldn't be passed up.
Where in GA is your son?

My son is in Flowery Branch, not far from Atlanta. I'm hoping to get down to visit him this fall.

Pappers' son is the best dressed brewer in the world. He even had a tie on when I brewed with them. Snazzy dresser, that boy.

. . .
And I just like to point out that's not so much of a "Brew Room" as it looks like a BREWERY! . . .

www.chaosbrewclub.net CHAOS is the only brewclub in the country (that we've found, at least) that has built out and maintains a brewhouse for its members. We're mostly urban dwellers, for whom space to brew and ferment would be an issue at home. Four natural gas brew bays, with all the equipment you need, plus a walk-in ferm room and three large fermentation or lagering fridges. Big stainless double sinks. Most importantly, a concrete, slanted floor so you don't have to worry about spills at all.

Not a business, a volunteer club. Just finished a term as the club's treasurer.

And very close to Lake Lanier!

What's your Son doing there?

He was working at a factory, making pipes(?), driving a fork lift. He moved there on a whim a couple of years ago, being tired of cold weather but the Hotlanta weather has made him miss the UP.

I'm hoping to visit him this fall, if all goes well.

So the more of your kids that leave home, the easier it gets? ;) Our oldest (daughter) left for school last yr and it was pretty tough on the wife and I. There is a feeling of being proud that you raised your child to be self sufficient, but there is also a feeling of uncomfort knowing that your child isn't home safe every night and being 'properly cared for' if that makes sense. Our daughter is home now for summer, and it makes us so happy just watching her eat a whole plate of food or sleeping soundly in her own bed.

My 3 kids are all out of the house now. I love it. I love when they come home too. I was made for the solitude, and having it back after so many years is refreshing. I know that doesn't sound very cool, but hey it's true.

Haha. I don't think it sounds bad at all. It is something that I do look forward to in a way just because the wife and I aren't getting any younger and for over 20 yrs now it's all been about raising the kids.

My 3 kids are all out of the house now. I love it. I love when they come home too. I was made for the solitude, and having it back after so many years is refreshing. I know that doesn't sound very cool, but hey it's true.

I'm really glad my daughter moved 1.5 miles away. That way she doesn't need to come for a visit, and just stops by.

However, one of the best things about her living 1.5 miles away means we get the grandsons all the time, whenever we want. One slept overnight last night, and then I took him home this morning. Then, they both came over about 11 AM and had lunch and a quick swim. Then I took them home. Then they came over a little while ago to drop off something. Then I took them home.

Wait, I'm seeing a pattern here! I keep taking them home. AND THEY KEEP COMING BACK!!!!! :D

And we are on our way to their house for dinner and a visit, and then we get to come home and enjoy the solitude. It's the best of both worlds.

Latest posts

Back