Lament

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadjobrinus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Warning, to those who might get bored: this is long, and this is sentimental.

I guess it goes here. I'm putting it here because it wasn't my intent for this to be a subject of debate, including gun control, or how children are raised today, or any debate of any kind. Just an expression of such sadness.

Just got further news on something I find so damn tragic, and wanted to memorialize them.

Last week, I think it was, there was a double homicide a block from our home. A jogger doing an early morning jog happened on two bodies in a ditch, man and woman. Our PD tends to take a long time before releasing further information so they weren't even known to the public for a few days.

I don't want to give their names, though it's easy enough to find out. Man and wife. She was an MD, a GP, director of a clinic close to our home. Among other things, this angel made it part of her practice to see that underserved communities got access to medical care. This is a small town, for the main University of W location. We have 3 physicians, neighbors and friends, and they all know her well though none work at her clinic. She was universally beloved, from all reports. Her smile was broad and her goodness was evident.

He was an education consultant. I know less about him, but read that in his field he was very well respected.

The two were obviously, deeply, in love. They loved the outdoors and have photos of many places over this earth, exploring.

As it turns out, my son knows the shooter. They were not even acquaintances, but the kid was on the high school football team. No indication of any evil like this. Normal relationships, etc. His accomplice, who apparently didn't himself shoot, was fairly antisocial in high school.

The shooter, it turns out, was boyfriend to a girl who was foster daughter to these two victims.

The murderer and his girlfriend apparently refused to maintain safe-distancing, so much so that the husband and wife said they cannot live in their home any longer unless they did; the two refused, and the husband and wife paid for a B & B for them to stay in, until the all-safe was given.

The girl told her boyfriend, "they're rich. I know a way we can get a lot of money."

So, in cold blood, the boyfriend shot and murdered these two magnificent lives.

That same 24 hours, there were two other shootings in our city. One victim was an innocent bystander.

This, while 1000's of us are dying, and the world is creaking under the strain of so much hate.

Sometimes, I just wonder what's the point. I still say I'm deeply moved by Beethoven's 9th, which has the lyrics of Schiller's Ode to Joy:

Joy, beautiful spark of gods,
Daughter of Elysium
We enter, drunk with fire,
Heavenly one, thy sanctuary!
Thy magic binds again
What custom strictly divided;
All people become brothers,
Where thy gentle wing abides.

Whoever has succeeded in the great attempt,
To be a friend's friend,
Whoever has won a lovely woman,
Add his to the jubilation!
Yes, and also whoever has just one soul
To call his own in this world!
And he who never managed it should slink
Weeping from this union!

All creatures drink of joy
At nature's breasts.
All the Just, all the Evil
Follow her trail of roses.
Kisses she gave us and grapevines,
A friend, proven in death.
Salaciousness was given to the worm
And the cherub stands before God.

Gladly, as His suns fly
through the heavens' grand plan
Go on, brothers, your way,
Joyful, like a hero to victory.

Be embraced, Millions!
This kiss to all the world!
Brothers, above the starry canopy
There must dwell a loving Father.
Are you collapsing, millions?
Do you sense the creator, world?
Seek him above the starry canopy!
Above stars must He dwell.

-sung to Beethoven's vaulting symphony. It hits me deeply because it's such a beautiful cry; despair because we don't have it in us.

But I keep listening, and I admit, I keep weeping, because we, all living things to include the planet that sustains us, are all one.

It's hard on news like this.

Paul, thank you for sharing your angst. In times like these I find it important to remember that although horrible things like this do happen it is not the norm, and does not well represent most of the world in which we live. I too believe that we are all connected and sometimes the best that I can do is remain open to love and pray the universe will work things out. Awhile ago, my wife told me about a word "Gomzo", I don't recall the language, but it means all things work to the good. We often say gomzo to each other and remember that our spirits truly are united with all life, the good, the bad and ugly. I feel with you all the pain, heartache and damage these senseless acts incur and yet know to the core of me that there are more stories of love and grace in the world. I hope you find peace quickly. I was looking for an appropriate smiley, but there are none.

Paul, thank you for sharing your angst. In times like these I find it important to remember that although horrible things like this do happen it is not the norm, and does not well represent most of the world in which we live. I too believe that we are all connected and sometimes the best that I can do is remain open to love and pray the universe will work things out. Awhile ago, my wife told me about a word "Gomzo", I don't recall the language, but it means all things work to the good. We often say gomzo to each other and remember that our spirits truly are united with all life, the good, the bad and ugly. I feel with you all the pain, heartache and damage these senseless acts incur and yet know to the core of me that there are more stories of love and grace in the world. I hope you find peace quickly. I was looking for an appropriate smiley, but there are none.

Thank you cmac, for such a beautiful lift. I take your words in with gratitude.

I've long been a viewer of Datelines, 20/20s, a Current Affair, IDtv, etc etc. It always blew me away when stories about murdering parents floated on the tv. Especially for cash. I lost my father last Friday. I'd pay any amount to bring him back to watch just one last baseball game. I couldn't imagine trying to suppress my emotions if someone had stolen him from me in that way.

I know the shooting that your are referencing, and read a few different articles about it. I'm from MN, and as a neighbor its pretty heavily covered. It's always the good ones that are taken so quickly and violently.

I've long been a viewer of Datelines, 20/20s, a Current Affair, IDtv, etc etc. It always blew me away when stories about murdering parents floated on the tv. Especially for cash. I lost my father last Friday. I'd pay any amount to bring him back to watch just one last baseball game. I couldn't imagine trying to suppress my emotions if someone had stolen him from me in that way.

I know the shooting that your are referencing, and read a few different articles about it. I'm from MN, and as a neighbor its pretty heavily covered. It's always the good ones that are taken so quickly and violently.

Oh my god, Immocles. I wish words had a greater power to heal than they do. I cannot begin to express how sorry I am for the loss of your father. You are in such grief and dealing with the grieving of many others right now. It's my deepest hope you find your way to healing soon as you can, and well.

That was incredibly brave and generous of you to share at such a time of your new grieving. I hope you find strength in the love of others.

Condolences Immocles, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Especially for cash

spoiled brat rich people, scared of a days work make me scratch my head too.....i actually enjoy a days work, and to see people so scared of it, willing to kill their family members to get out of it is weird/laughable....

Back