On-demand smoothie sours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzybee

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My neighbor and I had some Wiley Roots smoothie sours this weekend, and want to try to brew one. I have a kegging setup. It looks like if I kegged one, I'd need to keep rolling the keg regularly to keep the fruit in suspension. I'd prefer to not do that, especially considering I may have to remove the pin from my poppet to keep it from getting clogged. Has anybody tried just doing on-demand smoothie sours? I could brew my big plain Berliner Weisse, carbonate it, and then puree fruit to order and mix in the base beer in my Vitamix. Obviously, I'd lose some carbonation in the blender (I'd add the beer on slow speed). What am I missing with this approach?

One idea might be to use a long diptube for the gas and each time you pour, when the gas came in it would stir up what was on the bottom, but you would want to have a check valve on the disconnect on the keg as well.

Adding all the nucleation potential of pureed fruit to carbonated beer then using a blender on the mix is likely going to release way more than "some carbonation"...

Adding all the nucleation potential of pureed fruit to carbonated beer then using a blender on the mix is likely going to release way more than "some carbonation"...
Even on just "stir"? What is the difference between this method and the "smoothie machines" breweries use for serving in-house?

I brewed a pretty standard sour base beer using Philly sour yeast and poured 4lbs of mango puree from orchard into my keg and racked on top purged and carbonated, didn't have an issue with the poppets clogging up and the fruit stayed mixed in to solution without having to shake the keg. It wasn't as "thick" as most smoothie sours but close enough without having to worry about being able to serve it out of the keg

I brewed a pretty standard sour base beer using Philly sour yeast and poured 4lbs of mango puree from orchard into my keg and racked on top purged and carbonated, didn't have an issue with the poppets clogging up and the fruit stayed mixed in to solution without having to shake the keg. It wasn't as "thick" as most smoothie sours but close enough without having to worry about being able to serve it out of the keg
Thank you! I may end up giving this a shot.

Back