OMEGA Tropical IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisctx

Reaction score
Who has used this yeast and whats the average attenuation you are getting, it states 85-100 so Im trying to figure out a good mash temp to keep my IPA from drying out

I used this yeast... once. (See Keg 3) Fermented at 76 - and stepped it up to 80 at the finish. Tasted like sangria. Not my palette. It did calm down after it aged out for a month to something drinkable.

It seems to be their version of WLP644 Sacch Trois - high attenutation is part of the deal, if you don't want to dry it out then you probably should be using a different yeast.

I brewed a vic secret ipa using this yeast, fermented at 75 (nervous to go higher) huge tropical aromas all throughout the fermentation. Just racked to keg and it smelled of ripe mango, great nose on it. Sample tasted really good (as far as samples go). It did ferment down to 1.006 but didn't taste overly thin, still had a decent mouth feel, hopefully that sticks around after it carbs.

I brewed a batch of @Braufessor 's famous NEIPA on sunday and pitched this yeast. How soon after pitching should I dry hop? I dont want to wait too long and miss out on the biotransformation window and I'm a little worried that this strain is going to finish real quick at 78f.

I brewed a batch of @Braufessor 's famous NEIPA on sunday and pitched this yeast. How soon after pitching should I dry hop? I dont want to wait too long and miss out on the biotransformation window and I'm a little worried that this strain is going to finish real quick at 78f.

I dry hop on day 2 for that style

I brewed a vic secret ipa using this yeast, fermented at 75 (nervous to go higher) huge tropical aromas all throughout the fermentation. Just racked to keg and it smelled of ripe mango, great nose on it. Sample tasted really good (as far as samples go). It did ferment down to 1.006 but didn't taste overly thin, still had a decent mouth feel, hopefully that sticks around after it carbs.

I'm thinking of brewing a mango habinaro ipa.
it sounds like this would be a good yeast for that.

if I can find it.

Better find it quick, I heard Omega has temporarily shut down due to Covid-19. Once you get your hands on a pouch, be sure to save enough of the yeast cake to start future batches.

I think i have some ordered. (last 1 so i'll see)
a little more expensive than other yeast.
hope it's worth it.
I normally do a 1 gallon test batch for new beers then use that for a full 10 gallon batch if I like it.
but yeah, good point.

If you’ve been following that thread, a lot of people (myself included) have moved to soft crashing after fermentation and then dry hopping.

This idea that dry hops have to be added (as opposed to all the hop compounds introduced during whirlpool) *edit* for biotransformation to occur *edit* is misguided.

An additional factor here, is that diastaticus yeast can take awhile to truly finish fermentation, so you risk sitting on dry hops for much longer of a time period.

Last edited:
If you’ve been following that thread, a lot of people (myself included) have moved to soft crashing after fermentation and then dry hopping.

This idea that dry hops have to be added (as opposed to all the hop compounds introduced during whirlpool) is misguided.

An additional factor here, is that diastaticus yeast can take awhile to truly finish fermentation, so you risk sitting on dry hops for much longer of a time period.
Ah damn. I added 6oz azacca yesterday as the bubbling was starting to slow down. There is almost 2" of green muck sitting on top of the beer now, as soon as it mostly drops I'll cold crash it then keg it with a spunding valve. I was going to hop it in the keg too since this is my first super hoppy beer and I wanted to go all out.

[...]An additional factor here, is that diastaticus yeast can take awhile to truly finish fermentation, so you risk sitting on dry hops for much longer of a time period.

Yeah, of all the trials and tribulations of dry hopping beers, dealing with diastaticus strains can be a real pita.
Definitely want to plan for it...

Cheers!

Yeah, of all the trials and tribulations of dry hopping beers, dealing with diastaticus strains can be a real pita.
Definitely want to plan for it...

Cheers!
Yeah, I bought it on a whim. The guys at my LHBS are always raving about it and it wasn't until a few days later that I went to read about it online. When I read that it is a diastaticus strain my colon tightened. My first ever AG batch was a farmhouse saison fermented with 3711+3724 on the advice of my LHBS, and not knowing anything of diastaticus, I suffered a string of over-attenuated batches and a whole lotta gushers... It took me a good while to realize what was going on and prompted me to sharpen up my sanitation practices.

I'm ordering more hops to brew this again and this time I'll go with a recommended strain.

It's a timing issue - some of those D+ strains just keep chewing away for freakin' evah which makes planning the last round of dry hops a challenge. Messes with my pipeline enough that I either opt to a different strain or wait 'til I have plenty of wiggle room...

Cheers!

So it came in.
however I just realized the freezer part of Ferm chamber in the basement (upright fridge) has extra frozen food and about 15lbs of hops.
my house isn't warm enough to get that tropical goodness.

gonna have to wait until I get another fridge so I can move stuff out of the freezer into that.

Back