Omega OYL-405 Helio Gazer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure what to do. I figured if it was bland I could keg hop but this crazy strong. Maybe adding kettle or whirlpool hops is a good idea to reduce some of the thiols. Right now I will let the keg sit and hopefully mellow out.
The lack of specificity of B-lyase isn’t ideal… Considering thiols are volatile, you could potentially blow it off by purging the head space repeatedly. Keg hop would work great too.

Any update on this recipe? I am debating whether to add a small dry hop charge this weekend to a pale ale fermented with this yeast.
I am also interested in hearing about the effect of no dry hop in these thiolized NEIPA recipes. Have a version of Scott Janish's Locksmith currently fermenting, and am debating skipping the dry hop charge.

I am also interested in hearing about the effect of no dry hop in these thiolized NEIPA recipes. Have a version of Scott Janish's Locksmith currently fermenting, and am debating skipping the dry hop charge.
Did you wind up skipping the dry hop charge?

a few occasionally-related thoughts on my experience with HG, and my future plans...
  • i brewed with HG once, split my brew into two 5-gallon batches.
  • i bought one pack of HG and used a starter to boost the cell count for the 2 batches. dunno if i over-pitched, but it was one of the messiest blow-outs i've had in a while... see photo below :D
  • i did all the thiol-precursor-boosting things: mash hopped Cascade, Phantasm in the whirlpool, generous amount of thiol-rich late hops. result: the jolly rancher/froot loops flavor was way over the top. i mostly enjoyed it, but it was a bit much.
  • you know how some folks OD on a certain alcohol once and then can't stand it anymore? (tequila seems to be a popular one for this.) well, i think i might have been similarly traumatized but to a lesser fashion by the distinctive "fake taste" of over-thiolized beer. New Belgium has two new(ish?) beers called Fruit Force and Juice Force and i'm certain that they use a thiolized yeast.
  • next time i use HG i'll be dialing down the precursors. or might just use Cosmic Punch instead, given its lower output of thiols.
HelioGazer-explosion.jpg

a few occasionally-related thoughts on my experience with HG, and my future plans...
  • i brewed with HG once, split my brew into two 5-gallon batches.
  • i bought one pack of HG and used a starter to boost the cell count for the 2 batches. dunno if i over-pitched, but it was one of the messiest blow-outs i've had in a while... see photo below :D
  • i did all the thiol-precursor-boosting things: mash hopped Cascade, Phantasm in the whirlpool, generous amount of thiol-rich late hops. result: the jolly rancher/froot loops flavor was way over the top. i mostly enjoyed it, but it was a bit much.
  • you know how some folks OD on a certain alcohol once and then can't stand it anymore? (tequila seems to be a popular one for this.) well, i think i might have been similarly traumatized but to a lesser fashion by the distinctive "fake taste" of over-thiolized beer. New Belgium has two new(ish?) beers called Fruit Force and Juice Force and i'm certain that they use a thiolized yeast.
  • next time i use HG i'll be dialing down the precursors. or might just use Cosmic Punch instead, given its lower output of thiols.
View attachment 820226
I’m don’t bother with mash hopping anymore with this yeast. Personally, the dry hop rate needs to be at least 1 oz/gal, otherwise I find that some of the more egregious thiols present too much in the final beer. Purging the headspace after packaging (kegs) is another way to dial it back. This yeast was the first starter in three years to make its way on to my floor. It’s a beast.

Personally, the dry hop rate needs to be at least 1 oz/gal, otherwise I find that some of the more egregious thiols present too much in the final beer.
^ THIS. there is some weird internet lore that claims that HG beers shouldn't be dry-hopped. i say eff that noise. a detail i forgot to include above is that the only difference between my two 5-gal batches is one was DH'ed while the other wasn't. the citra DH'ed batch was much tastier IMO. maybe it was because the citra melded with (or hid) the thiols well. regardless, i'll continue DH'ing my thiolized beers.

Purging the headspace after packaging (kegs) is another way to dial it back. This yeast was the first starter in three years to make its way on to my floor. It’s a beast.
i use the "fill to the brim with star san and push out with CO2" method to purge my kegs, then do a closed transfer, so i haven't had a chance to taste the impact of O2 on a thiolized beer. i'm ok with being deprived of this experience :D

another observation i should have included above: i can confirm that aroma lasted longer than with non-thiolized beers. the aroma changed a little over time (became a little more "thiolized"/jolly rancher/froot loops) but it was still smelling strong after 3 months.

Cool, not sure if there is a thread but is it confirmed strains that come LAIII family are Omega Cosmic, Verdant, Omega British Ale V and Imperial Juice?
It's awkward for companies to admit that they "borrowed" strains from other companies, so normally you can only go on general characteristics. The closest you'll get is that some of the smaller companies will say a strain is "comparable" to one of the big names, but eg Omega has stopped doing that. So eg British Ale V "Compares to WY1318"
http://web.archive.org/web/20170721063550/http://www.omegayeast.com/portfolio/british-ale-v/
Per the link I gave you above, "Using CRISPR/Cas9, we were able to add this activated IRC7 into British V, creating our first Thiolized strain: Cosmic Punch."

And Lallemand/Verdant have been very open about the fact that their yeast originally started as London Ale III but has evolved since.

Back