Omega Lutra yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first couple batches of Kveik(voss not lutra) were quite cloudy even with cold conditioning. Gelatin helped some but still had a persistent haze. Those batches were only chilled down to about 100F and did not have a second visible break event. I started chilling low enough to get a good second break event and the resulting beers seem clearer with normal cold conditioning, but you need to add heat to get into the prime fermentation zone.
My only go with dry voss was similar experience, difficult to get really clear.

I did go hot then cold and had to use gelatin and super F.

First full pour of my apricot wheat brewed on July 4th, fermented with Lutra. Carbonation is almost there, tasting good so far.

A1EE138D-6F6A-4856-B122-16B563E08681.jpeg

There's normally a lot of dead cells etc to feed the yeast if you pitch on a yeast cake.
I add nutrient to all my beers just to reduce stress on the yeast and keep it healthy, not sure that it helps attenuation.

I have let the same yeast cake ride 4 or 5 times and never had any issues with fermentation.
i normally only use nutrient for wines, ciders, and sugar wash for hard seltzer.

Has anyone done a split batch with lutra and another yeast? If I had the capacity/equipment I would try it.

My APA has improved after being in the bottle for at least a month. It's still cloudy though which is fine.

I have to agree that my second keg of 7% IPA,with 100% centennial hops (brewed june 14th) has a cleaner profile and I can tell what the flavors are. The 1st keg was tapped on july 3rd, it was enjoyed to about 4-6 pints left to take home. I thought it was good but a little muddled. Both were very clear and drank like a WCIPA.
I'm not sure why some are having trouble with Lutra clearing,all mine are crystal in about 4-6 weeks,but I also chill the wort to 68* to get a cold break.
All my beers taste better after 4-8 weeks of conditioning. The Kveik brews my be drinkable in a short time(I served one at 12 days),they're all better after 4 weeks in the keg.

Has anyone done a split batch with lutra and another yeast? If I had the capacity/equipment I would try it.

My APA has improved after being in the bottle for at least a month. It's still cloudy though which is fine.
I was forced to do kind of that this past week. The Lutra got stuck at 1.022 for a week in my maibock.

Initially it flew off like a rocket. 1.066 to 1.026 in like 5 days. Day 1 it pushed the airlock and lid off my big mouth bubbler. By the 7th day it looked done, until I took the gravity, 1.022. Waited it out, and a week goes by with hardly a drop in number. Got out old faithful US-05, built a starter and the next morning I poured it in. It never got a krausen after the US-05 was added, but each day I get lower. Last night, day 5 I think, I am down to 1.017. Target is 1.015. At 1.022 it was way to sweet. Today is day 23 in the primary.

I worried that I had forgot the yeast nutrients, but figured I was ok when I saw the mess the first morning. It had plenty of air in the mix so that was not it. I guess I can chalk this one up to "yeast happens". I hope to have it bottle conditioned and bring a few to taste at the beer club meeting mid August.

What was the fermentation temperature?

I didn't do anything to clear the beer (no cold crashing, finings, etc), so no surprise.

What was the fermentation temperature?

I didn't do anything to clear the beer (no cold crashing, finings, etc), so no surprise.
74 at night and maybe 80 during the day. It is in my spare bathroom, an interior room.

Ive been having great luck so far with Lutra – Ive brewed a pseudo Oktoberfest, Sparkling Ale and most recently a pseudo European pilsner (Grolsch) all with very clean flavor profiles, no noticeable off smells or off flavors.

For my latest pilsner, I tried fermenting on the cooler side, around 68-72ºF, and its tasting great.
I decided to brew a similar beer and rack it directly onto this batch's yeast cake. I fermented at similar temps, on the lower end again, and it finished in about 4 days, where I left it at least for another week to 10 days, and its been carbing in the keg the past week.

This beer however has quite a noticeable strong "yeasty" character on the nose, which is a bit off-putting unfortunately. The taste is quite refreshing and doesnt taste nearly as "yeasty" as the smell...

I wonder if this "yeasty" character is because I fermented with Lutra on the lower range or whether there was too much yeast? I am hoping it will fade away but its been a week now and the "yeast" character is still there... I actually also dry-hopped this pseudo pilsner/lager with Waimea hops, which is supposed to give it citrus/pine aromas, but unfortunately not getting much of that past the yeasty character...

Anyone else have similar "yeasty" aromas with Lutra before? Any ideas as to why this mightve happened with this batch

(random aside: my Tilt hydrometer did fizzle out on me during this fermentation; the seal had some damage and it stopped logging, I found there was slight condensation on the inside of the Tilt, however, no wort got inside)

Last edited:
I was forced to do kind of that this past week. The Lutra got stuck at 1.022 for a week in my maibock.

Initially it flew off like a rocket. 1.066 to 1.026 in like 5 days. Day 1 it pushed the airlock and lid off my big mouth bubbler. By the 7th day it looked done, until I took the gravity, 1.022. Waited it out, and a week goes by with hardly a drop in number. Got out old faithful US-05, built a starter and the next morning I poured it in. It never got a krausen after the US-05 was added, but each day I get lower. Last night, day 5 I think, I am down to 1.017. Target is 1.015. At 1.022 it was way to sweet. Today is day 23 in the primary.

I worried that I had forgot the yeast nutrients, but figured I was ok when I saw the mess the first morning. It had plenty of air in the mix so that was not it. I guess I can chalk this one up to "yeast happens". I hope to have it bottle conditioned and bring a few to taste at the beer club meeting mid August.
Which temperature did you mash at? I found out that Lutra is really responsive to mash schedules. Higher mash temp equals much higher fg then with other yeasts. I had the same happening with my recent red which was mashed at 69c.

I made 2 all extract ESBs. One with Lutra at room temp and one with US 05 at 66F for 10 days. I couldn't tell the difference between the two in a "blind" side by side. I'm going to use Lutra more in the future.

Which temperature did you mash at? I found out that Lutra is really responsive to mash schedules. Higher mash temp equals much higher fg then with other yeasts. I had the same happening with my recent red which was mashed at 69c.
Actually this was an extract kit and didn't have specialty grains either.

Hello! I just registered to post in this thread. I've had really interesting results with this yeast. Very high and low FGs, off-taste and else. A problem I've had with my Pale Ale and the Pilsner is that the yeast flocculates into the small 0.5mm balls and these balls form 1cm "islands" on top of the fermentor or flocculate to the neck of the bottle by themselves. These balls are heavy and will go to the bottom if shaken. They don't bother much in the glass but they dance on the bottom and look quite weird.

If anyone has anything to say, I would be pleased to hear!

First batch: Wakatu Pale Ale
Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 28.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.750
Total Hops (g): 120.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.047 (°P): 11.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.62 %
Colour (SRM): 3.2 (EBC): 6.3
Bitterness (IBU): 43.1 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
4.600 kg Pilsner (80%)
0.500 kg Carapils (Dextrine) (8.7%)
0.500 kg Golden Promise Malt (8.7%)
0.150 kg Vienna (2.61%)

Hop Bill
----------------
17.0 g Herkules Pellet (17% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L) - 30 IBU
20.0 g Wakatu Pellet (8% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L) - 5 IBU
75.0 g Lime Peel @ 0 Minutes (Boil)
80.0 g Wakatu Pellet (8% Alpha) @ Hopstand (2.9 g/L) - 8 IBU

Misc Bill
----------------
8.0 g CaSO4 @ 76ppm 187ppm (Mash)
1.0 g CaCl2 @ 76ppm 125ppm (Mash)
5.0 g NaCl @ 70ppm 125ppm(Mash)
2.0 g MgSO4 @ 7ppm 187ppm (Mash)

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 31°C with OYL-071 Kveik Lutra
This one worked quite well as expected technical-wise. AA at 77% and fermentation time of around 4 days. I did transfer this for cooling at 7 days and bottled at day 12. The problem with this beer is a really strong tart taste which pretty much overwhelms the Wakatu. I have a strong feeling it could be the lime peel added or the yeast flavor. First I thought it was the Wakatu but not really sure anymore.... The taste was very cinnamony at first, but seems to be just a bit neutral tart taste now. I also upped the brewing salts on this batch, I don't have much experience from high salt contents so wanted to try that on this paler beer.

I top cropped some yeast for the next two beers. I will keep it short with the next two ones.

Red Ale OG 1.062 with FG 1.018, Fermentation time around 4 days.
Quite high FG with just AA=71%. Seems reasonable since the grain bill had some speciality malts. Taste is very good and full of hops and malts. Really like this one. However, I CANNOT FIND the tart taste at all in this beer but as I said, this is pretty heavy beer so might be just hidden beneath everything.

Pilsner OG 1.055 FG 1.006, Fermentation time around 11 days. Couple days full party but very slow at one bubble per minute for the remaining time.
This one was really weird because I mashed for nearly two hours and I got a ridiculously high Brewhouse Efficiency (84%). I usually get around 73-77% with my BIAB. Also as you can see, the beer fermented REALLY LOW (89% AA). It was the same top-crop used as with the Red Ale with 71% AA. This one had only 3% speciality malts.

This one is still lagering and looks good. I tasted it a bit before lagering because I wanted to see if there was something special but the flavor had nothing weird IMO.

Hello! I just registered to post in this thread. I've had really interesting results with this yeast. Very high and low FGs, off-taste and else. A problem I've had with my Pale Ale and the Pilsner is that the yeast flocculates into the small 0.5mm balls and these balls form 1cm "islands" on top of the fermentor or flocculate to the neck of the bottle by themselves. These balls are heavy and will go to the bottom if shaken. They don't bother much in the glass but they dance on the bottom and look quite weird.

Recipe Specs
----------------

Grain Bill
----------------
4.600 kg Pilsner (80%)
0.150 kg Vienna (2.61%)

Hop Bill
----------------

Misc Bill
----------------

This one worked quite well as expected technical-wise. AA at 77% and fermentation time of around 4 days. I did transfer this for cooling at 7 days and bottled at day 12. The problem with this beer is a really strong tart taste which pretty much overwhelms the Wakatu. I have a strong feeling it could be the lime peel added or the yeast flavor. First I thought it was the Wakatu but not really sure anymore.... The taste was very cinnamony at first, but seems to be just a bit neutral tart taste now. I also upped the brewing salts on this batch, I don't have much experience from high salt contents so wanted to try that on this paler beer.

I top cropped some yeast for the next two beers. I will keep it short with the next two ones.

Quite high FG with just AA=71%. Seems reasonable since the grain bill had some speciality malts. Taste is very good and full of hops and malts. Really like this one. However, I CANNOT FIND the tart taste at all in this beer but as I said, this is pretty heavy beer so might be just hidden beneath everything.

Pilsner OG 1.055 FG 1.006, Fermentation time around 11 days. Couple days full party but very slow at one bubble per minute for the remaining time.
This one was really weird because I mashed for nearly two hours and I got a ridiculously high Brewhouse Efficiency (84%). I usually get around 73-77% with my BIAB. Also as you can see, the beer fermented REALLY LOW (89% AA). It was the same top-crop used as with the Red Ale with 71% AA. This one had only 3% speciality malts.

This one is still lagering and looks good. I tasted it a bit before lagering because I wanted to see if there was something special but the flavor had nothing weird IMO.
First one was probably infected, the others probably not.

I would suspect it is the lime peel giving the tart flavors. Have you made this recipe before with that amount of lime? If not, cut the amount in half and see where it goes next time.

I tasted citrus notes with Voss Kveik that was pitched at 90F, but the 6 batches with Lutra pitched at 84F have been fairly clean especially with some time on them.

~HopSing.

I would suspect it is the lime peel giving the tart flavors. Have you made this recipe before with that amount of lime? If not, cut the amount in half and see where it goes next time.

I tasted citrus notes with Voss Kveik that was pitched at 90F, but the 6 batches with Lutra pitched at 84F have been fairly clean especially with some time on them.

~HopSing.
It might be the peel. I do remember trying to peel the white pith off but cannot remember how good of a job I did. Never used lime zest before. And it was quite a high amount.

I also read that high sodium with sulphates might contribute to a harsh taste.

It just might be the sum of many things also. The beer was eventually quite neutral in profile and easy to spot the off-tastes.

I'm going to make my yearly fall fuggle pale ale soon.
I usually use S-05 but now i'm thinking of going lutra just to see how that turns out.

US-05 is my go to dry yeast. Lutra is similar except it can run at much higher temps, which is why I tried it this summer. Harvest the slurry of a batch below 1.059 OG and keep it in the fridge in pint mason jars topped off with boiled and cooled water. I typically make 4-5 pint jars from a single yeast cake. It takes off within 4 hours of pitching. This stuff is amazing.

~HopSing.

US-05 is my go to dry yeast. Lutra is similar except it can run at much higher temps, which is why I tried it this summer. Harvest the slurry of a batch below 1.059 OG and keep it in the fridge in pint mason jars topped off with boiled and cooled water. I typically make 4-5 pint jars from a single yeast cake. It takes off within 4 hours of pitching. This stuff is amazing.

~HopSing.
I store it the same way and made the same experience.

Last edited:

Recipe Specs
----------------

Grain Bill
----------------
4.600 kg Pilsner (80%)
0.150 kg Vienna (2.61%)

Hop Bill
----------------

Misc Bill
----------------

UPDATE:
Just bottled the "Pilsner". Definitely tasting the same off-taste as with my 1st batch (Wakatu Pale). I didn't really get the taste before lagering but now it's quite clear. It just seems odd that many say this yeast is super clean but I fermented all the beers at 31C (88F) so it might be the reason.

Maybe just maybe I'd try this yeast once more some time at 20C (68F) but I really dislike this neutral-tart taste.

UPDATE:
Just bottled the "Pilsner". Definitely tasting the same off-taste as with my 1st batch (Wakatu Pale). I didn't really get the taste before lagering but now it's quite clear. It just seems odd that many say this yeast is super clean but I fermented all the beers at 31C (88F) so it might be the reason.

Maybe just maybe I'd try this yeast once more some time at 20C (68F) but I really dislike this neutral-tart taste.

There is a high chance that what you get there ist the typical kveik taste. It is less pronounced with lutra than with other kveiks, but it is still there. I think people do not taste it that often because they use loads of hops and this easily overshadows this kveik bite. But when you want to go to the malltier side of lagers, it becomes very obvious (at least to me). I recently had the pleasure to host my girlfiriends father who owns a brewery in Poland and I showed him one of my Lutra Ales and he instantly spotted the Kveik. Not a bad beer, actually quite a good one, but still obviously Kveik.

However, there are some things that could be tried to mitigate this flavour. It might be possible, that more nutrients would lower this effect, so a bit of fermaid O might do the trick, never tried it myself though, but kveik is a very much nutrient demanding yeast, more so than other beer yeasts. Fermentation temperature probably is not the reason for this, but I cannot rule it out completely.

I am normaly completely against yeast nutrients in beer, as I think they are unnecessary and might produce off-flavours, but in the case of brewing with kveiks, it might be of benefit. How much would be needed, I have no idea though. Only thing I know is, I would use Fermaid O because Fermaid O tends to produce not much off-flavours.

Edit: The fact that your heavy beer, the one with the bigger OG, did not show this tartness, actually speaks for the lack of nutrients being the problem. The bigger the OG, the more nutrients are in solution. One really has to try out if this yeast works with a lower OG beer and Fermaid O.

Last edited:
There is a high chance that what you get there ist the typical kveik taste. It is less pronounced with lutra than with other kveiks, but it is still there. I think people do not taste it that often because they use loads of hops and this easily overshadows this kveik bite. But when you want to go to the malltier side of lagers, it becomes very obvious (at least to me). I recently had the pleasure to host my girlfiriends father who owns a brewery in Poland and I showed him one of my Lutra Ales and he instantly spotted the Kveik. Not a bad beer, actually quite a good one, but still obviously Kveik.

However, there are some things that could be tried to mitigate this flavour. It might be possible, that more nutrients would lower this effect, so a bit of fermaid O might do the trick, never tried it myself though, but kveik is a very much nutrient demanding yeast, more so than other beer yeasts. Fermentation temperature probably is not the reason for this, but I cannot rule it out completely.

I am normaly completely against yeast nutrients in beer, as I think they are unnecessary and might produce off-flavours, but in the case of brewing with kveiks, it might be of benefit. How much would be needed, I have no idea though. Only thing I know is, I would use Fermaid O because Fermaid O tends to produce not much off-flavours.

Edit: The fact that your heavy beer, the one with the bigger OG, did not show this tartness, actually speaks for the lack of nutrients being the problem. The bigger the OG, the more nutrients are in solution. One really has to try out if this yeast works with a lower OG beer and Fermaid O.
Thanks for your input! Actually the heavier beer, Red Ale, was very malty and I used very much hops. There is a big possibility the taste is just hiding beneath all this. The FG difference between the Red Ale (1.017) and the Pilsner (1.006) might make a big difference too?

I do use a lot of yeast nutrients with my kveik so I highly doubt this is the issue. It just seems odd to me that the "kveik taste" which it could be, is so strong. I would say it is the strongest thing that pops out both in my Pale Ale and the Pilsner. The hops are there, but not very clearly, though I didn't use them too much.

How about a 1.036 OG with Fermaid K?
Fermented at 76* for 7 days, finished at 1.010. Kegged and let condition at 64* for ~7 days then added finings , put in lager chamber at 33* and 15 PSI for 2 weeks.
It was styled after an English bitter, and was just a clean super clear beer. I made some new friends at a July 3rd party and got really positive feed back. Nobody said it was tart or had a particular flavor, just that they really enjoyed the beer.
Also had a fresh Two Hearted inspired one on tap that was 21 days G to G and nobody said, hey that's the same yeast.
I haven't got the tang people are talking about with Lutra or Voss,just the Hornindal and I think that is coming from my drying process. I dried the cake from that bitter and will be fermenting my next beer with it ,so we'll see.

Thanks for your input! Actually the heavier beer, Red Ale, was very malty and I used very much hops. There is a big possibility the taste is just hiding beneath all this. The FG difference between the Red Ale (1.017) and the Pilsner (1.006) might make a big difference too?

I do use a lot of yeast nutrients with my kveik so I highly doubt this is the issue. It just seems odd to me that the "kveik taste" which it could be, is so strong. I would say it is the strongest thing that pops out both in my Pale Ale and the Pilsner. The hops are there, but not very clearly, though I didn't use them too much.

That is very strange indeed. I brewed now two lower OG beers with Lutra, one with a low FG that had the Twang and one with a higher FG and that had the twang well hidden, compared to the previous one, but still there. It was also a red ale btw, the first one was more of a blonde ale, the one with the prominent twang.

Btw. the twang was aging out a bit. After 1.5 to 2 months the beer very much improved and tasted more lager-ish.

Both without nutrients and OGs below 1.045.

That is very strange indeed. I brewed now two lower OG beers with Lutra, one with a low FG that had the Twang and one with a higher FG and that had the twang well hidden, compared to the previous one, but still there. It was also a red ale btw, the first one was more of a blonde ale, the one with the prominent twang.

Btw. the twang was aging out a bit. After 1.5 to 2 months the beer very much improved and tasted more lager-ish.

Both without nutrients and OGs below 1.045.
Yes. I can definitely also say that the off-taste has gotten milder with age, considering the Pale Ale.

Do it! Or do a split batch of you can

it's coming. i decided to brew a nut brown for an event and the whitebread yeast needs to be upper 60's so my chamber is locked down until that finishes.
From what i've seen it's too cold for lutra.
while it's mid to high 80's during the day, it drops to the 60's at night so i'll just wait until i can ferment at a high temp.

i also do a Peanut butter porter with notty that i think i'll do up with lutra.
the pb flavor is so rich i doubt it would even matter what yeast i use but going to see.

it's coming. i decided to brew a nut brown for an event and the whitebread yeast needs to be upper 60's so my chamber is locked down until that finishes.
From what i've seen it's too cold for lutra.
while it's mid to high 80's during the day, it drops to the 60's at night so i'll just wait until i can ferment at a high temp.

i also do a Peanut butter porter with notty that i think i'll do up with lutra.
the pb flavor is so rich i doubt it would even matter what yeast i use but going to see.
For what it's worth I've fermented with Lutra at room temperature which in my case varies between 65-70 during most of the year. Last batch I did, a wheat beer, I pitched mid 80s or so and left it for a couple weeks. Fermenter measured 80s for the first day or so, then it gradually dropped to around 70 for the last week and a half. I think Lutra should ferment out fine in the mid 60s, it'll just take a bit longer.

For what it's worth I've fermented with Lutra at room temperature which in my case varies between 65-70 during most of the year. Last batch I did, a wheat beer, I pitched mid 80s or so and left it for a couple weeks. Fermenter measured 80s for the first day or so, then it gradually dropped to around 70 for the last week and a half. I think Lutra should ferment out fine in the mid 60s, it'll just take a bit longer.

BAH! the whole point of waiting a week to ferment with Lutra is so it can have it be done in a few days. :)

so i brewed bier munchers centennial blonde with lutra.
people tell me it tastes like a lager. 🤷‍♂️

That's definitely on the to do list over here! I actually just gelatin fined a normal Nottingham batch of this brew earlier today. Did I read correctly you fermented at 85F? If so how many days was it from brew day to keg/bottle? I was 10 days with Nottingham at 60F. Wanted to rebrew this as written first to work out the kinks and make sure I had a nice drinkable brew before toying around with it too much

Ok. I think I'm done with it. A simple Cascade pale ale came out white grapey musty yeasty, been at 33F a week. Fermented at 75F, but I did not use nutrient (I only have Brewcraft Yeast Nutrient, cannot say whether that's like Fermaid O, K or any other letter).

I have not given up on Lutra. I have a few more batches to knock out before the end of the year. After that though frozen slurry will be built up to a 2 Liter starter. The recipe I came up with on a whim is this and fermentation will be temp controlled this time around 68F. I think this would have the best chance of pairing nicely with Lutra

Title: Lutra Kolsch

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Kölsch
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.038
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

Hop Utilization Multiplier: 1

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.048
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (standard): 5.07%
IBU (tinseth): 25.36
SRM (morey): 2.93
Mash pH: 5.9

FERMENTABLES:
9 lb - BEST Heidelberg (90%)
0.5 lb - BEST Vienna (5%)
0.5 lb - BEST Wheat Malt (5%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Hallertau Mittelfruh, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.75, Use: First Wort, IBU: 7.94
0.5 oz - Spalt, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: First Wort, IBU: 9.53
0.5 oz - Hallertau Mittelfruh, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.75, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 3.58
0.5 oz - Spalt, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 4.3

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Strike, Temp: 147 F, Time: 90 min, Amount: 3.75 gal
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.5 qt/lb

Also I found what seems to be a good article on Lutra. Seems like 33.5C may be the sweet spot for this yeast as far as ferment time and esters

https://www.deuxkanadierbraeu.com/post/omega-lutra-kveik-optimum-temperature-and-performance-review
When I brew the above batch I'm going to shoot for the low end (68F) first. With that said what's the hottest you've fermented at with this yeast? Any 90F and up fermentations? If so did that get the twang? Seems like the author went more in a "kolsch-y" direction with their test recipe as well

Also I found what seems to be a good article on Lutra. Seems like 33.5C may be the sweet spot for this yeast as far as ferment time and esters

https://www.deuxkanadierbraeu.com/post/omega-lutra-kveik-optimum-temperature-and-performance-review
When I brew the above batch I'm going to shoot for the low end (68F) first. With that said what's the hottest you've fermented at with this yeast? Any 90F and up fermentations? If so did that get the twang? Seems like the author went more in a "kolsch-y" direction with their test recipe as well
Great article, thanks! The most interesting part to me is about the kveik twang, that the acidity increases with temperature. This makes me wonder if a beer fermented at room temperature has almost zero of the twang. This will be my next kveik, but first there's a saison on the list.

Great article, thanks! The most interesting part to me is about the kveik twang, that the acidity increases with temperature. This makes me wonder if a beer fermented at room temperature has almost zero of the twang. This will be my next kveik, but first there's a saison on the list.

I can say a room temp fermented beer does not have the twang with Lutra

Hard for me to tell if the last three Lutra brews I did at 65F 68F and 75F had any twang. Could not taste it through the white grape.

I have a kolsch fermenting with 2565 right now. I've never knowingly had that yeast. White wine is mentioned about every time that yeast is brought up. Curious to see how much "white wine" this is or how close it may be to Lutra as far as the grape flavor.

Bought ingredients for a Marzen with Lutra to brew this weekend. Ferm chamber (aka my bedroom closet) has held pretty steady at 80F. My plan is to pitch at 70F and let active fermentation and ambient temp bring it up to 80-85F and fingers crossed it comes out as clean as I'm hoping for!

Back