Omega Lutra for West Coast IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamninjabob

Unapologetic Hophead
Reaction score
I picked up some Lutra in hopes of making some pseudo-lagers this summer, but I've also seen that people recommend it for West Coast IPA's. Unfortunately though no one has listed what temperature they fermented at. I'm not sure what temperature I should try out for the WC IPA profile. Omega says "Ultra-clean profile when fermented at 68F-95F" yet it also says "For the most lager-like profile, ferment between 68F-72F". Currently I'm thinking about sticking to around 85F, but I'd love to know how others have fared with this yeast.

I had a similar thought. Last month I ordered some Lutra, mostly out of curiosity but also to reach the threshold for free shipping on my order. Now I've got it but don't know what to do with it. It's keeping the Hornidal Kveik I got last summer "company" on the yeast shelf in the beer fridge. At least that one had a purpose, but got left behind. I was gonna' brew with it for a large family getogether with the Norwegian side of the family in Minnesota for an uncle's 90th birthday. Covid nixed the party, but we're trying to reschedule for this July so it may yet get used.

But, to your question, I was thinking 68-72F would be a good ferment temp for a WC IPA, maybe a bit warmer, but 85F seems mighty high. As I said, I'm new to this Norwegian farmhouse yeast myself. Quite curious what others with experience have to recommend. At its worst, it would make a great IPL at 68-72F, assuming IPLs are still a thing.

Im finishing a mexican lager up at 68 today all ferment long and just finished doing the D rest at 90 so ill have agood idea of what this yeast is about.

I made a New Zealand IPL with Lutra in January (so maybe an IP"L" is the better name?). I thought it was really great in that style. Very clean and let the hops shine. I expect it would be very good in a West Coast IPA. You'll get a very neutral yeast profile and a crisp feel to the beer, but that's fine. Much better in a West Coast than a NEIPA, for sure.

I fermented around 68. It was a slower fermentation than you typically see with kveik, but normal for most ale yeasts. The one odd thing was that it was very hazy, which is unusual for Lutra and wasn't what I was going for. Not sure if it was the dry hops, the temperature, or the fact that I forgot Irish Moss but it stayed cloudy even after a few weeks in a keg. Still a great beer, though!

I made a New Zealand IPL with Lutra in January (so maybe an IP"L" is the better name?). I thought it was really great in that style. Very clean and let the hops shine. I expect it would be very good in a West Coast IPA. You'll get a very neutral yeast profile and a crisp feel to the beer, but that's fine. Much better in a West Coast than a NEIPA, for sure.

I fermented around 68. It was a slower fermentation than you typically see with kveik, but normal for most ale yeasts. The one odd thing was that it was very hazy, which is unusual for Lutra and wasn't what I was going for. Not sure if it was the dry hops, the temperature, or the fact that I forgot Irish Moss but it stayed cloudy even after a few weeks in a keg. Still a great beer, though!

Very informative. Makes me anxious to try it. I've been "Kveik curious" for awhile, sitting on the sidelines and following the give and take, reluctant to jump in. Guess it's time to go full bore, as soon as the weather breaks, that is.

Brooo Brother

After searching around forums I came across this reddit post:
"I'm happy with it in my 1045 og pale ale dry hopped with Citra and Sabro. Fermented at 30c(85f) to start with and took the temp down slowly to 25c(77f). Tastes very much like what I'd get with us-05 but maybe a touch cleaner.
Pretty keen to see how it goes with a simpler beer but I'll probably keep it down under 23c
I think it's best to run it lower like 20c for the most clean profile but I appreciate being able to make good clean ales in quick time at 30c"

Almost everything I find is revolving around doing a pilsner/lager so I was happy to see someone compare it to Chico. Seems like 85F is a bit high even for the West Coast. I think I'll end up shooting for 68-75F, and see if it's similar to that Chico profile.

After searching around forums I came across this reddit post:
"I'm happy with it in my 1045 og pale ale dry hopped with Citra and Sabro. Fermented at 30c(85f) to start with and took the temp down slowly to 25c(77f). Tastes very much like what I'd get with us-05 but maybe a touch cleaner.
Pretty keen to see how it goes with a simpler beer but I'll probably keep it down under 23c
I think it's best to run it lower like 20c for the most clean profile but I appreciate being able to make good clean ales in quick time at 30c"

Almost everything I find is revolving around doing a pilsner/lager so I was happy to see someone compare it to Chico. Seems like 85F is a bit high even for the West Coast. I think I'll end up shooting for 68-75F, and see if it's similar to that Chico profile.

Please report back! I kept some of my starter slurry in the fridge and would love to have more uses for it.

Please report back! I kept some of my starter slurry in the fridge and would love to have more uses for it.
Same here!

So far I have started a mead with it, which looks promising and looks like it's almost done fermenting.

I wouldn't actually compare this yeast to a lager. It is a clean kveik but imo you can still take that it is a kveik. Less than in Voss for example, but still detectable. Not a bar thing, but also not a lager.

Same here!

So far I have started a mead with it, which looks promising and looks like it's almost done fermenting.

I wouldn't actually compare this yeast to a lager. It is a clean kveik but imo you can still take that it is a kveik. Less than in Voss for example, but still detectable. Not a bar thing, but also not a lager.

The problem is I don't have a fermentation fridge, and while I've made some killer lagers with W34/70 at around 64F it's about to be warm weather. Currently I'm putting the fermenter in a big bucket full of water, and dosing with ice to keep the beer at 64F. It'd be nice to have a yeast that can make a light crisp pseudo-lager at a more forgiving temperature range, so I don't have to worry about filling my freezer with Tupperware.

The problem is I don't have a fermentation fridge, and while I've made some killer lagers with W34/70 at around 64F it's about to be warm weather. Currently I'm putting the fermenter in a big bucket full of water, and dosing with ice to keep the beer at 64F. It'd be nice to have a yeast that can make a light crisp pseudo-lager at a more forgiving temperature range, so I don't have to worry about filling my freezer with Tupperware.
Try mangrove Jack California lager or wlp 800 which also ferments well at room temperature (it's actually an ale yeast, but sold and used as a lager). I used both at room temperature around 20c+, prefer wlp 800 due to higher flocculation, but you cannot beat the easy use of a dry yeast like the California lager. Just use two packs for mj, otherwise it might get stuck. Both make excellent beer at higher temperature. Mj gets a tiny bit fruity when above 25c, but not in a bad way.

Or if you are happy with lutra, just use it!

I've done some Lutra brews. An Imperial Faux Lager and Baltic Porter come to mind. Both were exceptional. I did both in warmer months, though. The porter in the upper 70's, low 80's. Lager in the mid 70's. The lager was pressurized. One of the best beers I ever made.

Actually, not entirely true. The Faux lager was brewed in December.

My mexican pseudo lager has been on gas for a week but im gonna give it another week to clear and give it a taste. Hopefully it comes out good.

I did a 5% WCIPA with Lutra. I pitched at 91* and let her rip at 88*. It was done in 24 hrs. Then i dropped it to 70* for a 5 day dry hop. Awesome beer. The yeast was still super clean—that was what I wanted for this particular brew, but generally I prefer a little more taste out of my yeast in an IPA.

I did a 5% WCIPA with Lutra. I pitched at 91* and let her rip at 88*. It was done in 24 hrs. Then i dropped it to 70* for a 5 day dry hop. Awesome beer. The yeast was still super clean—that was what I wanted for this particular brew, but generally I prefer a little more taste out of my yeast in an IPA.

Great to hear. On deck in the brew lineup is a Blonde Ale with single hop Trident. I'd planned to ferment at the low end of Lutra (68F~70F) for super-clean performance, but based on your experience it looks like I can go quite a bit higher and finish faster. I'm still a little hung up on the idea of having to raise temperature for a few days to "let the yeast clean up after themselves." It appears that these Kveik yeasts don't need a "D" rest to ferment clean.

This will be my first time dipping a toe into the Norwegian farmhouse yeast waters. Sounds like pitch, wait 4-5 days, crash, drink. Amirite?

Great to hear. On deck in the brew lineup is a Blonde Ale with single hop Trident. I'd planned to ferment at the low end of Lutra (68F~70F) for super-clean performance, but based on your experience it looks like I can go quite a bit higher and finish faster. I'm still a little hung up on the idea of having to raise temperature for a few days to "let the yeast clean up after themselves." It appears that these Kveik yeasts don't need a "D" rest to ferment clean.

This will be my first time dipping a toe into the Norwegian farmhouse yeast waters. Sounds like pitch, wait 4-5 days, crash, drink. Amirite?

Yep. Ive heard stories of grain to glass in 3-4 days consistently w/o dry hopping.

I have no experience with Lutra, but I've brewed a bunch with Voss dry yeast from Lallemand. Mainly on my house Pale Ale, to which it lends a beautiful orange zest aroma. Recently also used it for my WC IPA and it chewed through the 1.072 wort in four days at 29C. Might be the best IPA I've made so far

From my experience, lutra only gets slower but not cleaner at lower temperatures, so pitch high temperature, wrap it in a sleeping bag and off you go!

So my mexican lager was done and i tried it at day 10 after kegging. First off it needed way more corn, ill add more next time but I will say the Lutra did an excellent job of fermenting clean and gave it that lager taste AFTER day 14 in a keg, its still developing and getting more lager like by the day so I can only imagine if I let it sit for 21 days how it would come out. Im a real believer.

Pre-carbonation results are in!

Ended up fermenting at 75F and rose up to 80 at the end of fermentation. Thennnnnnnnnnnnnnn I had to go out of state for a few days, so it had to sit at around 65-70 while I was out of town. Dry hopped at that temp for 2 days and bottled yesterday.

Ended up drinking probably a full bottle worth as it came out exactly like I wanted! At this point I cant taste anything from the yeast at all exactly like I would expect from US-05 at a cool fermentation temp. I will say though Lutra took it's time at that temperature. I think my next attempt going for the Chico yeast profile I'll try 80F. This weekend I'll be brewing the pseudo-lager with the Lutra as well. I'm quite pleased with it for now.

Back