Omega British/UK ale strains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golddiggie

Reaction score
I've always used Wyeast for my beer fermenting needs. The HBS I visit has started carrying Omega Yeast products. I've already looked at the chart available and found the one that claims to be a match for what I use most (1318). I'm more interested in finding out what people are experiencing with these yeast as they compare to the Wyeast strains they're supposed to match. I do wish the web site had more information for the strains. Such as things that Wyeast has for beer styles the yeast is good for. As things are, you have to cross reference with the "compares to" strains to find out what it's best for. IMO, it wouldn't be difficult for Omega to add this information to their pages. I think it would be more helpful to have it listed than what you currently need to do.

1630418514529.png

So if you've used the Wyeast strain as well as the Omega version/strain, how do they compare? Before anyone posts, I have zero interest in using kveiks strains. I have solid fermentation temperature control in place (glycol chiller to conical fermenters). So the 'need' to use those strains simply isn't present.

Of those, I haven't used the Omega 011 (1318), but the others behaved nearly identical to the WY versions in my experience. I'd use them interchangeably, although the Omega tends to have more yeast and better viability than the WY ones.

Well, I bought another 1318 pack on Monday. So when that's not behaving right (plan to use it in another few batches, or so) I'll get the Omega version and give that a shot. I might try their yeast when I brew the wee heavy later this year.

I don't see any mead or cider yeasts listed by Omega.

I brewed with OYL-005, OYL-006, and OYL-015 earlier this year and kinda sorta brewed a tour of the British Isles if you will. Made a British Golden Ale, an Irish Stout, a Scottish Heavy, and a Wee Heavy. Each yeast performed as expected and produced excellent beers.

I believe the OYL-006 British I is akin to 1098, OYL-005 is 1084, and OYL-015 is akin to 1728. I've brewed with all six yeast....just not side-by-side so I can't attest to how close each may be to the other.

With that said, I brew with a lot if Omega Yeast and may generally recommend to you without reservation.

Back