Old Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul_Aris

Reaction score
I got burned out on brewing because of a guy that wanted me to brew for him commercially, and then well he wanted everything on the cheap, and didn't want to do a proper brewery. Anyway I'm getting back to the point where I want to do some batches. I really was able to hone my skills and use some cool equipment ie Sabco Brew Magic. Now I am back on my batch sparge equipment and I am excited to start brewing again. I looked through all my ingredients and I have enough grain for at least 1 10 gallon batch maybe more. I have enough hops for a long time. Problem is everything is 4 years old including several refridgerated packs of S05. What would you do? Double the amount of hop pellets to make up for age. These are unopened big bags of pellets. Would you do a yeast starter with dry yeast to make sure there is anything living? Grain was in sealed totes still in their bags and smell good.

Hey, it's all 4 years old. If it were me, I'd throw it all out and start over. However, you could do a batch or two just to hone your process and get reacquainted with everything. Never mind that the beer may not turn out, the hops are cheesy and the yeast may no longer be active. You could work out all the kinks and be ready for a real batch with fresh ingredients because fresh ingredients make better beer.

the hops are still sealed and the yeast has been in the fridge and is a dry brand, I'd brew a smaller batch and see what happens. That is just me. I have used older dry yeast in the past and have not had any issues, of course, you could do a starter, but my guess is everything will be okay, maybe not great, but okay. :mug:

I like your thinking. I think it will be fine. My process is pretty honed I have been brewing for over 20 years. Everything has been stored in the fridge except grain. I am willing to risk it because I probably have $300 in ingredients.

Brew it. The ingredients already paid for, so why throw it out?

A friend of mine gave me some yeast packets that he wasn't going to be able to use before the expiration date. One of them was some Bry-97. It was two to three years past the date. I made a starter with it and like the poster above said, "took off like a rocket". It was for an IPA and it was pretty dang good!

Hops and grains are fine. Aging probably makes them better. But you don't want to be cut short on the yeast side. Make sure you have some fresh dried yeast ready to pitch in case the old yeast isn't up to the task. We are talking $3 a pack here, have a handful on hand. Order from Labelpeelers, no shipping costs.

Hops and grains better with age?

Yes, much like women.

women.jpg

Well I brewed an Citra/Simcoe hop bomb IPA today with those 4 year old ingredients. Batch sparge method. I am in at 1.061 before pitching. Tasted wonderful. Lots of hop flavor. I ended up moving my hop schedule up .5 ounces do to their age. Thats a lot of hops. Pitched the 4 year old yeast. I added an extra packet just in case to my 10 gallons.

img_20200412_125207-jpg.675386

Well I brewed an Citra/Simcoe hop bomb IPA today with those 4 year old ingredients. Batch sparge method. I am in at 1.061 before pitching. Tasted wonderful. Lots of hop flavor. I ended up moving my hop schedule up .5 ounces do to their age. Thats a lot of hops. Pitched the 4 year old yeast. I added an extra packet just in case to my 10 gallons.

img_20200412_125207-jpg.675386
Keep us posted? Up to final tasting notes please.
I think this is good anecdotal evidence for us all that may have a year or two older grain and hops... as long as they have been stored correctly, they're ok!

Keep us posted? Up to final tasting notes please.
I think this is good anecdotal evidence for us all that may have a year or two older grain and hops... as long as they have been stored correctly, they're ok!

Yes, its good to control how you store things. Hops have been refrigerated since I got them. The yeast as well. The grains in bags and then in sealed tote.

In case anyone wondered. I opened the fermentors today (day 7) to dry hop. I pulled samples and ended up at 6.04% IPA with the 4 year old ingredients. It taste wonderful.
Great news to a lot us who may end up with bags of grains, hops, etc., that get lost in the back of the fridge & closet. Or for anyone who may have loaded up on ingredients during this pandemic!
Thanks for sharing

Well I got it kegged chilled and carbed. It turned out fantastic. Its a Citra?simoce hop bomb. Becase the hops were 4 years old I ended up at .5-1 oz extra at each hop addition. Wow, its hoppy and fantastic. Came in at 6.5 ABV with the old yeast.
ipa.png

Back