Old hop pellets, chicken coop or dumpster?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yeah, so I've got some old hops that I need to dispose of, not gonna use them, failed the smell test, and need to get them out of the freezer. I've got probably 30ish chickens, these effers eat everything, but I don't want to hurt them. Obviously I'd just mix the pellets in their regular feed at a low percentage. This ok or no? Searches have come up unclear.

The neighbor's flock to which I contribute my spent mashes have convinced me they will eat anything - including Christmas trees :oops:
I have no doubt chickens will eat hops but indeed Googling seems to result in a split decision on the safety thereof.
Rather than take a chance I'd dump them in the trash...

Cheers!

Yeah I read couple things also, seems they can be good for the chickens as well (not convinced) but obviously being pellets and concentrated form is where I wasn't sure, I just hate throwing things away but seems that may be best. Figured I'd put it out there to see if anyone had experience here.

Interesting, I did read a similar article somewhere but it's better coming from the usda. They don't give specific concentrations in that article but they do say that they only used lupalone in the chickens water. Not full hops or pellets, much more controlled amounts but it did promote decent results. Maybe I'll play around with it. Doesn't seem like it will kill them from anything I've read, obviously it will be a very small amount mixed in their feed. We'll see.

9600.jpg

Because I don't like the chickens, errrr, I can't say that.. um yeah but they might like the hops and it could improve their gut health. So it's just as likely to improve their health then it is to damage it. There is no proof or documentation that hops are poisonous to chickens, so I think I'll give it a go, again in small amounts. If anything changes with their health, good or bad or no change, I'll know then.

So, small amounts of hop pellets in chicken feed has had no ill effect. I'm not being scientific with this, literally a handful of hop pellets in a bin of feed, bin ill say holds 5lbs, they go through 1 bin per day or 2 and I'm not adding the pellets in every bin of feed. Maybe once or twice a week. Being its winter they typically don't lay as many eggs, but this is from the past 3 days, I think the chickens are OK.
20240203_171209.jpg

Back