old recipes (including a beer and a wine recipe)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peaktopview

Reaction score
my grandmother gave me a small little cookbook for christmas. i cook professionally and she loves to get things like this for me. also got several pieces of cast iron (wagner and griswold) to add to my collection. thanks grams. on to the recipes.

the cookbook is dated 1975 but it celebrates the 300th anniversary of the kaskaskia church of the immaculate conception and some of the recipes seem like they date quite a ways back, although no dates are given for individual recipes. i included the inside cover story in the pics below.

its a small little cookbook with only 16 pages. there is a recipe for beer that is quite interesting. the wine recipe calls for a 50 gallon barrel. i also added a few other recipes that were included to show just how cool this little cookbook is.

b

cover_11-58129.jpg

p01_11-58130.jpg

p02_11-58131.jpg

p08_11-58137.jpg

p09_11-58138.jpg

p05_11-58134.jpg

p06_11-58135.jpg

p07_11-58136.jpg

My old neighbor was a coon hunter & said it tastes kinda like beef. So a bitter or brown ale might be good with it. They still eat them down south,LA is one place.

I remember picking my jaw up from off the floor when I found out that Turtles had a hunting season in Canada.

Wow! What a great find from an incredibly small little town in southern Illinois. My wife's first teaching job was down near that part of the state, and we have friends that grew up about 45 minutes north of there. The church still exists, and I am sure a number of the families that contributed to that cookbook still live in that area, though I don't know how many of them are eating racoon on a regular basis anymore.

The beer recipe sounds like that hopped malt syrup they used to sell in the store. There's a thread about it here somewhere.

yeah, its a neat little book. all in all, it has about 70 recipes in it. also in there are recipes for custard pie, jams and jellies, sugar cookies, cracklin' bread, chicken fricasse', dandelion salad, and others. grams lives down in crystal city, mo., which some of you might know is due south on i-55 from st. louis. she loves to go out and hit the garage and estate sales. gives her something to do.

the only thing i think that would have made this little book better was if there were some dates or time periods for the recipes. obviously there are several recipes from early settler times. i am kind of a history buff and love it when it is possible to place stuff like this into an era of westward expansion.

b

edit: love the last line of the soap recipe, "make in cool weather in full moon in zodiac sign in the legs." anyone know when that might be? been lookin into soap making and would like to get it right.

Back