Old hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staticsouls

When will the beer be free?
Reaction score
So I have some hops from 2016, and I just did some ipas that were less than stellar in my book with them. I dont wanna throw them away, so what should I use them for.

I have a few pounds of azzaca and centennial

You could brew a sour or start a solara... but that would not require very much hops at all, or maybe just use them to bitter and double or triple the amount for a desired IBU contribution. Personally I would just throw them away for anything but sours

Did you get them from 47Hops or whatever they're called? I got 2 lbs of centennial and 1 lb of Pekko from them and I haven't even opened the 2nd lb of centennials. I found sort of the same thing when I dryhop in the keg with them. They work for a week or so but then it dies off until the very end of the keg. I just pull the muslin bag out and refill with new hops. I figure for $4 a lb I'll deal with it while they last.
In your case I'd just use them for bittering but I'm not getting the grape or apple from the centennials. If it was messing up my beer I'd probably toss them out too.

I'll buy them? PM if interested....

if truely vacuum packed and frozen, i'd give you $5 a pound+shipping....

how long can you store hops? I've got some Hallertrau ( prob misspelled it) that have been in the frige for over a year, but not sealed...still has hoppy aroma...

I just bought a vac sealer...how long could I store them in the freezer/frige if sealed? A few years? I would like to buy in bulk for cost savings but not if I'm gonna end up wasting a bunch cause they went bad...

I have some hops that are at least 3 years old. Mine are vacuum sealed and frozen. I haven't noticed that they have degraded, though I suspect they have. I just use a little more. I bought 5 one pound bags a couple of years ago. About the same time, I started brewing less often. Don't think I will be buying pounds any more. Farmhouse Brewing Supply has 4 ounce bags. That size is very good for me.

Latest posts

Back