Old Apple Cider Found

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sstraley01

Reaction score
We have an outdoor refrigerator and just found 1 gallon of unopened pasteurized apple cider.

Is it still good?

I think from what I have read is it either is soured or turned into vinegar.

Looking for some real experts advice that's why I am here..

Thanks
Steve

Has it exploded? If not open it up and give it a taste it is probably still good, well okay. Usually the spoilage of cider and such is due to wild yeast and bacteria eating the sugars. The yeasts would emit carbon dioxide which would cause the container to bloat. The bacterias that make vinegar actually prefer to consume the alcohols. Be careful opening it if it is in glass, you may have a massive bottle bomb, but otherwise why not try opening it and giving it a whiff.

Edit: take my advice with a grain of salt. I am not a pathologist and do not know what could live in it without being able to see. Do not sue me if you kill yourself or others as a result of what I just said.

How old is "old"?

Since you say it's pasteurized, I'm assuming this is non-alcoholic cider?

Are you wanting to drink it or ferment it?

We have an outdoor refrigerator and just found 1 gallon of unopened pasteurized apple cider.

Is it still good?

I think from what I have read is it either is soured or turned into vinegar.

Looking for some real experts advice that's why I am here..

Thanks
Steve

I'm no expert, but I think the senses of smell & taste are a good meter.
If you have un-fermented cider, just chuck in your yeast of choice and see what you get.
If it's already a 'finished', fermented cider, have a sniff, and have a taste.
After all, it's only a gallon you have to lose if it's no good.
If there's anything visibly growing in there, I would just ditch it though.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back