Old 5 gal wine bottle vs italian 6 gal carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seabrew8

Reaction score
Which one would you use for a primary? In the context of getting the clearest brew and doing a secondary fermentation? This is the only 2 vessels i had right now. Considering the different shapes.

IMG_20151019_204656.jpg

IMG_20151019_204719.jpg

It depends on what you're making and the batch size.

Most ales don't require a secondary, but if you're doing one you may want to make sure that there is very little headspace at that time. You need more headspace for primary, so a larger vessel is more appropriate then. I use buckets usually for primary, just for that reason. Well, that, and they aren't glass. :D

It depends on what you're making and the batch size.

Most ales don't require a secondary, but if you're doing one you may want to make sure that there is very little headspace at that time. You need more headspace for primary, so a larger vessel is more appropriate then. I use buckets usually for primary, just for that reason. Well, that, and they aren't glass. :D

I'm doing ciders right now because its the easiest to get the ingredients, i'm living in a pretty small town right now so i have no HB shops, besides making beer is expensive these days!

I'm doing ciders right now because its the easiest to get the ingredients, i'm living in a pretty small town right now so i have no HB shops, besides making beer is expensive these days!

Ok, well for cider, you definitely want to reduce headspace once fermentation slows and it does need a secondary. I usually start my ciders in a bucket, and move to an appropriately sized carboy in about a week and make sure it's topped up.

Ok, well for cider, you definitely want to reduce headspace once fermentation slows and it does need a secondary. I usually start my ciders in a bucket, and move to an appropriately sized carboy in about a week and make sure it's topped up.

Really just one week? Is it open fermentation? I have 7 or 8 buckets! haha

Have you ever made Pappy's pub cider yopper? I put it in an open bucket today, i was going to let it sit for a week and then rack it to my 6gal carboy for 3-6 weeks.

What do you think about open fermentation? I have done it before, a longtime ago just making those cheap beer kits - brewmix! -, it was fine.

For wine, I usually leave just a towel or something on the primary, so I can stir it a couple of times a day to break up the cap. I don't see the need for beer, or for cider, though.

Thanks but it pretty firm :) its red green inspired haha

I know the thread has moved on but I just wanted to circle back to this... the reason not to use the handles on a glass carboy is full is because it puts a huge amount of strain (tension) on the neck of the carboy, and you do not want to put that much stress on glass. The handle should really only be used for stabilizing the carboy. The best way to carry a fully carboy (if you must move it at all) is with a carboy harness, milk crate, or something else that supports it from the bottom.

I know the thread has moved on but I just wanted to circle back to this... the reason not to use the handles on a glass carboy is full is because it puts a huge amount of strain (tension) on the neck of the carboy, and you do not want to put that much stress on glass. The handle should really only be used for stabilizing the carboy. The best way to carry a fully carboy (if you must move it at all) is with a carboy harness, milk crate, or something else that supports it from the bottom.

I gotcha, never thought about that. I'm a rough guy so it was a probability :drunk: Actually been a lot more careeful since your first post. kudos

Opon further review someone else bought it up first. haha you guys are right though, i always handled that thing pretty gently, thanks.

Back