Oklahoma Only Brewers Group on the HBT!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some water treatment stuff and bottles if anyone wants it. Free free free just come get it. I’m in Moore.

I don’t have any pics but it’s a mix of 12’s, 22’s, and 750 ml I think. I will take count of everything I have tonight and post tomorrow.

Hey Oklahoma bretheran.
The company i work for is courting me to potentially become a transplant from So Cal. When/if I arrive, is this something I should keep quiet about, or will a beach boy be welcomed with open arms?

I am hoping that by bringing a lot of beer that I will be accepted by the locals. Ha ha

Hey Oklahoma bretheran.
The company i work for is courting me to potentially become a transplant from So Cal. When/if I arrive, is this something I should keep quiet about, or will a beach boy be welcomed with open arms?

I am hoping that by bringing a lot of beer that I will be accepted by the locals. Ha ha

Transplant from SoCal to OK? Who'd you piss off?

Hi fellow Oklahomans,
Noob brewer--->Jordan here in Okmulgee.

Just noticed the South Central Forum and scrolled around to see if we had a group on here. Glad to find it.

I say noob brewer because I've only made:
·2 or 3 gallons of apple cider (Which is why I got into brewing, in the 1st place)
·3 batches of grape juice wine (1gal, 2gal, & a 6gal) Good stuff though. Not my recipe.
·1gal of random WallyWorld juice wine (in 2ndary now)
·2gal of mead (A honeysuckle and a capsicumel) (in 2ndary also)

...well. Slowly getting equipment and space to brew. Waiting on spring/summer OT $ to get my 1st beer brewed. ATM planning on an extract partial mash kit of an Irish Red Ale or a cream ale.

Glad to see this. I'm out in Harrah. I didn't realize they had competitions at the fair? Are there any other local ones?

Hey all. Been lurking around on HBT for a bit but just created an account the other day and ran across this thread. Would anyone be interested in an Oklahoma Homebrewing Facebook group? Or know of one that exists already? I've been brewing for a little over a year now, and have yet to find a region specific group online that has any real activity, and just want to chat with some other homebrewers in the area. I know there's FOAM here in Tulsa, but their forums seem pretty dead and they don't have a group attached to their Facebook page.

Anyway, hope everyone's doing well and has plenty of time on their hands to brew :)

Hey all. Been lurking around on HBT for a bit but just created an account the other day and ran across this thread. Would anyone be interested in an Oklahoma Homebrewing Facebook group? Or know of one that exists already? I've been brewing for a little over a year now, and have yet to find a region specific group online that has any real activity, and just want to chat with some other homebrewers in the area. I know there's FOAM here in Tulsa, but their forums seem pretty dead and they don't have a group attached to their Facebook page.

Anyway, hope everyone's doing well and has plenty of time on their hands to brew :)

It's not too busy, but I found this ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/1555557564662301/ ) Facebook group pretty local.

No problem.
I actually just got my extract + steeping grains kit from High Gravity today. Gonna give a cream ale a try for my 1st beer.

Nice! I love a good cream ale. I just got an order from them yesterday for a Saison, I love that they're doing home deliviery right now. Going for a variation of the Funkwerks Tropic King, doing Zythos and Huell Melon hops instead of Rakau and Opal since I'd have to get those from somewhere else, and ship times are all over the place right now.

I just made a pretty big order of grains to take advantage of this stay at home order going on right now. I know many of the big companies have suspended their free shipping promotions due to current high demand, but I just ordered from "Great Fermentations" and they are still doing free shipping over $55. I don't have any prior experience but the savings on shipping was worth taking a shot.

Just a heads up if anyone else is trying to shop around right now

I just made a pretty big order of grains to take advantage of this stay at home order going on right now. I know many of the big companies have suspended their free shipping promotions due to current high demand, but I just ordered from "Great Fermentations" and they are still doing free shipping over $55. I don't have any prior experience but the savings on shipping was worth taking a shot.

Just a heads up if anyone else is trying to shop around right now

Nice! I got my Anvil Foundry from there, great company. There were some shipping delays from Anvil to them and they were very communicative through the whole process. Good to know they're doing free shipping still.

Edmond, OK here. Got back into brewing because of Covid-19 and I keep asking myself everyday why I stopped. Currently have two, one gallon batches of cider going and am hoping to get into beer soon.

A lil success. Successful at pasteurizing, but did it a bit soon.

Some (supposedly) 6.3% ABV orange ginger beer. Drinks like 3% though. Can drink more that way at least.
2 out of the 4 I've cracked open had a tiny bit of bubbles. No carb feeling in mouth, but still good taste. 3 others left to try.
Gonna bump the ginger up next round.

Attachments

• 20200419_195049.jpg
    20200419_195049.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
A lil success. Successful at pasteurizing, but did it a bit soon.

Some (supposedly) 6.3% ABV orange ginger beer. Drinks like 3% though. Can drink more that way at least.
2 out of the 4 I've cracked open had a tiny bit of bubbles. No carb feeling in mouth, but still good taste. 3 others left to try.
Gonna bump the ginger up next round.

Nice! That sounds delicious.

Just want to give a shout out to High Gravity.

I placed an order yesterday and had it delivered to my house the same day. I didn't notice until I went to brew today that there were some hops missing. I left a message through their support system, not expecting anything until Monday since they're now closed on Sunday's. But Dave (the owner) called me, apologized for the mistake, and asked if he could bring them over today. He dropped them off about 20 minutes later and have my strike water heating as we speak. I understand mistakes happen, and I'm sure they're very busy with everyone at home brewing again. To me this is above and beyond customer service, and very much appreciated.

Hey guys, looking to possibly transplant from central AR to OKC later this year. I'll be working in the downtown area, and living somewhere within cycling distance from there hopefully. Until the recent pandemic, I've been traveling there once a month or so for work, but haven't had a chance to meet any homebrewers or go to many places outside of downtown. So far Bricktown and Tapworks are my favorite places, and the best local beer I've tried is Chug Norris.

I'm guessing the homebrewing scene there is actually pretty big, despite low activity on this thread?

I've been homebrewing for about 10 years, I have a 25 gallon electric setup, controlled by an Arduino. I also have my old trusty 5 gallon round cooler setup, that I still use sometimes in the kitchen. These days I don't brew/drink nearly as much, but I still love brewing, and it's very important to me that I give back to the homebrewing community, and help new homebrewers any way I can. I had a terrible time getting started in homebrewing, because there just wasn't anyone else in my area that brewed.

Hope everyone is keeping sane with the social distancing, see ya'll around hopefully.

Welcome to Tulsa! What are you planning on brewing?
Thanks for the welcome. Been pretty busy unpacking and trying to get brew equipment set up.

I was planning on brewing a Blue Moon clone for my daughter today but as usual I'm running late getting everything set up and it really sucks that I lost all my recipes that I had on Brewtoad.

Props to High Gravity. I placed an order there the other day and they were great to deal with.

I got a pack of Omega Hornindal Kviek yeast and I'm looking forward to trying that on the Blue Moon clone and my next brew which will be an NEIPA.

Really happy to get my CO2 tank filled at Victor Airgas for $15. Awesome deal!

Greetings from Choctaw. I have a few batches of wine under my belt and I start a new 5 gallon batch about every other month. I try to use fruit from my backyard as much as I can. Almost all my wines have been my own recipes.

My successes:
Blackberry-Cherry dessert wine
Jalapeno-Lime wine from a recipe
Mint-Potato wine
Jalapeno-Cherry Wine
Apple wine
Banana-potato wine

My failures:
Peach wine
Pear wine
Apple wine

Wines in progress:
Peach wine
Mint-Potato wine
Freezer Punch wine (everything left in my freezer)

Insomnia fueled thread surfing this morning so I'm checking in. (Turned into a novel/rambling. Sorry.)

Moved a 5gal Cream Ale extract from High Gravity to the kitchen. Starting to see it begin to clear a bit. 😁 Still has some bubbles rising up from the trub.
I'm kinda 50/50 Nervous/Confident that it turns out good. Then again, my expectations or maybe standards aren't crazy high on account of what part I played in the making of. Pitched May the 4th and didn't touch it 'til after lunchtime on May the 29th. I'm fine waiting on it and giving it time to carb up, but despite some research, I keep wondering how close to the line I'm getting to not having enough suspended yeast to do the job at all.

I started a couple cider experiments this month. On the 25th, I believe.
#1) A 1gal. batch of GV apple juice + some brown sugar.
#2) ~1-1/3 gal. batch with 2-2/3 cans of FAJC + around 2# of frozen/thawed apples grated into a 2gal bucket.
Both kicked off and doing well with Cote de Blanc. I like how calm that stuff has worked so far. Nice 1/4" of foam bubbles on top, but nothing crazy.

Bottled a ~1gal batch of sweet honeysuckle mead from last year. Almost crystal clear.
Also bottled a lightly blueberry flavored cider that was a lil on the tart side. We'll see how well it carbs in a couple weeks.

High Gravity Cream Ale extract kit from a lil after Father's Day. Not bad for my 1st beer.

Nice! That looks great. I've got 3 in the work at the moment.

1st is an IPA with Ekuanot hops that is waaaay overhopped and needs to be blended, will be brewing a second batch this weekend to blend it into.
2nd is a kettle soured berliner weisse that should be done in the next day or so. Pretty excited about this one since it's my first kettle sour
3rd is a batch of Hard Seltzer for the girlfriend. It's cold crashing right now, will be adding some gelatin to clear it up a bit because right now it's super hazy.

Tried a different recipe for ginger beer this 2nd try. When a more experienced brewer posts/shared a recipe, it's best to follow the recipe. I didn't. I let it go for probably a week and a half longer than the prescribed 3-4 days. 🙈
Well, its nice and spicy instead of the sweet bubbly ginger soda like the OP, but 1/2 & 1/2 with some Sprite it's good. Learned my lesson though. Baby steps or persevere through something you weren't expecting. Haha

Attachments

• IMG_20200921_200759.jpg
    IMG_20200921_200759.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
It's the only way to fly IMHO. The no atmosphere is worth it alone, then throw in your already carbonated, oh wait and fermented at a higher temperature like room temperature (within certain parameters) done faster if you want... what?

I am just getting back into the swing of things after a long hiatus. My first attempt back into the swing of things, I failed horribly with a stuck mash on a late night start to a brew session. No problem, I'll just try again using rice hulls next time.

The addition of the hulls and a coarser crush on this 6 year old grain did the trick. I think the most helpful thing was... (drum roll "imagined" if you will) NOT POURING MY GRAIN IN FIRST on top of my false bottom!!!! Before any water!!!! Idiot mistake I didn't even think about until starting to add water. Oooofff, cement under the FB, no equipment to scoop and strain the grain, not to mention the time at night. I called it a learning experience, and have now moved on. No I don't want to talk about it because it still hurts my butt a little, lol.

Seriously though, that second attempt was gold! Lautered like a champ, and sparged with more than enough information on gravity to adjust my "forgotten" old numbers down perfectly for next time. I was so amazed all over again how dark pilsner liquid looks in the grant and kettle. 90 minute boil went without a hitch and, chilled to 58*F recirculating back into the kettle. Pitched my yeast, and ran everything through the Therminator plate chiller one last time on its way to the fermentor. Wrapped a clean towel around the neck of my fermentor keg, and I kept swatting the rising foam to the sides until full. Re-installed the keg spear and lock ring, and tapped with the keg connector containing the spunding valve Tuesday @8:30pm.

This was my first time using the new Duo-Tight plastic thingy, and it wasn't a bad experience. I cranked it down and checked it like a hawk. Wednesday 58*F@5psi the next morning 6:30am, wow! Ok, so I start releasing until I hear it and back off a full turn from there. I'm hoping I don't have anything leaking out when I come home from work. 58*F@15 psi 4:30pm, I again start releasing until I hear a hiss, and then back off what I think will get me in the ball park of my calculated psi. This time it was almost ready to blow, so I figured I better go 2 turns this time. 58*F@22psi 11:00pm. I turn it down and it takes a little over halve a crank before its spewing. I back if off a quarter and check in the morning. Thursday 60*F@29psi 6:45am and shes going!!! I crank it down a little above 26psi and check it again when I get home moving it down until I am at my 2.7 volumes of CO2, which equated to 25.9psi @60*F.

I checked every day and finally had no hiss the next Wednesday, basically 1 week exactly. It will sit until this coming Wednesday, upon which I will grab a FG sample to degas. Then, transfer into a CO2 purged keg containing gelatin (another 1st time thing for me) to clear for 2-3 days before a final destination into a serving keg or 3. Can't wait to taste old shitty ingredients in a beer brewed with cobwebs on the mash fork and brewer.

Hello all, I live in the OKC metro area and I have a 3 tier electric HERMS system I am trying to sell. It is made with Keggles using the plans at theelectricbrewery.com. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll be happy to send some pictures and answer questions. I can also meet/ deliver depending on where you are located.

Latest posts

Back