OK, what is it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
I asked this same question in another thread about small beer which no one seems interested in reading. Must be some repulsion of the word small in relation to beer, but I still would like some feedback avout Briess' Ashburne grain. It is a 7-8L grain that is said to be suited for use in Vienna.

Any notions or experiences out there?

No one wants to talk about small beer for the same reasons that the NY Times article posted in this thread was written.

:p

It is not the size of the beer that matters . . . . it's how it tastes, right?

Seriously, folks . . . I just flew in from Illinois, and boy my arms are . . . . nevermind.

I have never been enthusiastic about brewing lower gravity beers . . . by that, I mean anything below the 4.3/4.5 range. I am not sure why. I know that they taste good, etc. Additionally, I am not all about slamming mass quantities of high % beers or anything. I guess that when I get the taste for a small session-like beer, I grab a sixer of Newcastles.

Such a brew would last a loooong time around my place.

Edit - I have heard nothing about Ashburne Mild malt.

I've never heard of that malt either, but I enjoy small beers some times. I have a light rye beer I made from the 2nd runnings of a bigger one. It's OG was about 1.030 and it tastes great.

I suspect the problem is more that most of us have never used that malt. Hard to believe but around here, the choices are very limited unless you order by the sack.

Back