OK To Move The Primary For Temperature Sake? Or Just Leave It?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imsperic

Reaction score
My beer has been in the primary for 8 days now. The krausen is dropping down and airlock activity has slowed considerably. So far, so good.

The carboy is in my basement and I've been able to keep the temperature between 64 and 66; it's been unseasonably warm where I live. However, it's supposed to get colder this weekend, and coupled with the beer cooling due to fermentation slowing down, I am concerned about keeping the temperature of the beer above 60. Right now the beer is at 62 degrees.

There are warmer places in my house where I can store the carboy (to keep it in the 64-68 range). What's the risk of moving it upstairs to a closet? Should I do this?

Thanks in advance.

[edit] For several reasons a space heater in the basement is not possible right now. I've wrapped the carboy in a blanket and old winter coat for now.

I see no risk in moving it upstairs. I move mine to warmer spots all the time once active ferm is complete.

My beer has been in the primary for 8 days now. The krausen is dropping down and airlock activity has slowed considerably. So far, so good.

The carboy is in my basement and I've been able to keep the temperature between 64 and 66; it's been unseasonably warm where I live. However, it's supposed to get colder this weekend, and coupled with the beer cooling due to fermentation slowing down, I am concerned about keeping the temperature of the beer above 60. Right now the beer is at 62 degrees.

There are warmer places in my house where I can store the carboy (to keep it in the 64-68 range). What's the risk of moving it upstairs to a closet? Should I do this?

Thanks in advance.

[edit] For several reasons a space heater in the basement is not possible right now. I've wrapped the carboy in a blanket and old winter coat for now.

I think it will be fine where it is but if it makes you feel more comfortable, by all means move it. Just try to avoid shaking it to avoid a cardboard off flavor. Just go nice and slow.

Yes move it. It will not hurt your beer temp is very important. I like to warm my beers by a few degrees toward the end of fermentation to assure full attenuation. shaking the beer will not harm it in the least.

I see alot of this reluctance to move beer in new brewers. I think it must come from all the advice about how to "not touch the beer for 2 or 3 weeks." This advise is meant to advise beginners to not open it up and look at it or transfer too soon. I think it is often interpreted as "beer is fragile and you shouldn't move it."

So go ahead and move it to a warmer spot. I wouldn't shake it like you are trying to mix a can of paint, but a little movement is ok. I often swirl up a carboy is if i working with a highly flocculant yeast.(only in the first week or so)

hope this helps

It's sealed, with airlock. I'll monitor the next few days and if the temp gets to 60 I will move it.

When's the best time to take a hydrometer reading? Before or after I move it? Or does it not matter?

Doesn't matter. If you still have some krausen on top, some will fall when you move it, which may end up in your sample. Moving will also cause some CO2 to come out of solution. Neither should affect the reading much.

I move my beer down 2 flights of stairs after a week of cool temperatures. At the end of the active fermentation when the krausen falls and it stops bubbling the flavor is pretty much set. By moving it to where it is warmer it encourages the yeast to clean up the byproducts of the fast ferment and eat the last of the sugars which becomes very important if you bottle. The last remaining sugars plus priming sugar will give you overcarbonation and end up as gushers.

If you're going to leave it in primary for 2-3 weeks, wait a bit before taking your reading. No point in opening it up now. Also, when the temp rises, you'll have to adjust the reading for the increased temp.:mug:

Day 10:

5e19c7cc10bf11e1abb01231381b65e3_7.jpg

Moving it to a warmer area, and will take a hydrometer reading on Saturday.

Looks like beer! One note - I'd wrap a t-shirt or towel around it to protect it from sunlight - looks like you have a nice window right there waiting to skunk your beer.

PS - Cool floor tiles & backsplash.

Saturday would be a good time to take a sample, especially if it was the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Don't rush your beer.

Looks like beer! One note - I'd wrap a t-shirt or towel around it to protect it from sunlight - looks like you have a nice window right there waiting to skunk your beer.

PS - Cool floor tiles & backsplash.

Thanks!

I do keep it wrapped, and in a closet. I was in the process of moving it up from the basement and thought it was a good photo op.

It's now in complete darkness in the closet under the stairs.

Yeast do lots of things during the fermentation period, not just make alcohol and burp CO2. There are lots of other compounds produced when there is lots of sugar available and especially if the fermentation temperature is a little warm. Those yeasties go on a rampage, throwing out all sorts of esters and phenols. Giving them enough time, they will eat all the sugars and, still hungry, eat the some of the esters and phenols too. This helps the flavor of your beer. If you rush to take a sample, your hydrometer will tell you that the yeast ate all the sugar and made alcohol, making you think that the ferment is done and you will want to bottle right then. Let it have another week, even two if you can stand it as it isn't easy for the yeast to clean up everything.

Perfect. You have beer! 2 points difference is nothing to worry about. How'd it taste?

Latest posts

Back