OK, how bad did I screw up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griffi

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brew Day started out fine. And everything ready last night. Had some trouble getting my strike water to the proper temp, and in that hassle forgot about a teaspoon of lactic acid I was supposed add. 10 minutes into the mash remembered to throw it in and stirred - what do you thinks going to happen?

Don't worry. Relax, have a homebrew.
You probably won't notice a difference, except you might run a little thin on body if your mash temp was significantly lower than target.

I doubt you will notice. Lactic acid is something that I have never used. In fact I don't even have the ability to measure pH and I would put my beers up with most.

Most of the conversion was probably done at that point anyway. Probably won't make a difference, but may carry some acidity over to the finished beer in a way to brighten it up as it would have if you tossed it in at the beginning, but nothing more.

Well my mash temp was fine. I went back to brun water and backed out the lactic acid what I found was theoretically my mash pH was 5.8 for those 10 minutes… Oh well, RDWHHB!

Before I got a pH meter I made good beer. Since then I know that my mash pH is a little above optimal so I usually add some acid. If I forget to add the acid I get good beer. If I add acid I get good beer. I think your beer will be fine.

Thanks all, I agree nothing to fret about. I think I may have lost a couple gravity points is all. Hoping this DIPA comes out tasty!

Back