OG only 1.030??? Help me!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hardball

Reaction score
I did the FAt Tire Clone mini mash kit from AHB and after almost 3 hours of brewing I get a OG of 1.030????????????????????????

WTF!!! This was my first mini-mash and probably my 10th brew ever, but I have never missed an OG by that much???????????????

I followed the directions exactly, read posts from others on here that made the same kit and even contacted Austin about any questions I had. Very disappointing to say the least.

Any suggestions on how I can save this?

Hmmm...when did you take the gravity reading? What temp was the wort when you took the reading? How did you collect the wort for the reading?

Took gravity reading just before pitching yeast. Temp was bout 65-70 and I drew the reading from the top by dipping in a sanitized measuring cup.

I am drinking the AHS all grain Fat Tire now... it is soooo good, converted a chick to homebrew with it too.

Pol

Topped it off with 3 gals of cold water to make 5.25 gals. The kit came with LME...that is why I am stumped as well.

This not me spaeking but my mentor says that off reading can come from the random where and when of drawing a sample, you may have just drawn a sample that was not accurate to what is really going on in there. My reading have been off too. Funny thing is the beer is so good I don't have a clue if they are or not nor do I care? AHHh NO. DA Beer is still good with out even taking a reading.

did my first AG a month plus ago. Just tried it tonight, wow, I will not buy commercial beer ever again unless I have to. This home brew stuff REALLY rocks.

Gregg,:D

There was no way I was going to be able to sleep for the next 6 weeks so I opened the primary and took another sample. This time it read 1.048! Whew...

...the only thing I can think it was that I took the sample after topping off but before stirring to aerate. Anyway, looks like I might be ok-unless I contaminated the wort when I opened it up???????????

Im am not familiar with these kits, but how much LME did it come with?

edit: never mind then, good job, and no, i highly doubt you contaminated anything when you opened your fermenter (unless you used a nasty dirty "thing" to collect the sample of wort, or if you spat in it, that would be bad)

enjoy**

Thanks everybody....if there is one thing you probably never learn in this hobby, it is never assume the worst-it is probably not that bad after all!!!!!!!!

Back