Officially Done

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilgrumbrews

Reaction score
I'm now waiting yet again for these Coopers Carbonation drops to work. I hesitated to use them again after they took forever to carb my last batch. Now I'm on week five since bottling day and there is just barely any sign of the beginning of carbonation. Just a little post so that maybe someone considering using them will find this and not use them.

Just a thought - Did you 1) try giving it a little shake for S.A.G. and 2) are they at room temp?

They overcarb for me. What temp are you storing bottles at? I hope not in the fridge.

I gave them all a swirl two weeks ago. They are being stored at 70-71 deg. I store all my batches in the same room. The batches I've used bulk priming in came just fine, I guess that's what I get for trying new things when the original way works. I just thought drops would be easier.

I use coopers carb drops every time I bottle, have gone through at least 10 packages. I keep my bottles at room temperature and haven't had any trouble so far.

My last batch I decided to bottle about a gallons worth so I could send some to competitions. I used the carb drops, and I got very little carbination. I wont use them again.

I know they're just sugar, nothing magical. Which makes it even more frustrating that they take forever to carb. And even when they do carb it is just barely. (In my experience anyways)

Not sure why you are having issues. How long do you primary? Next time you want to use them, I suggest you scoop a 1/2 cup of trub and mix it in with your beer before bottling. I am not sure if you can get yeast totally out of suspension but maybe you let your primary sit long enough that it did.

Also why kill yourself over a part of the hobby that is the biggest PITA anyway? Isn't your birthday coming up? Time to get yourself a kegerator.

Slipgate said:
Not sure why you are having issues. How long do you primary? Next time you want to use them, I suggest you scoop a 1/2 cup of trub and mix it in with your beer before bottling. I am not sure if you can get yeast totally out of suspension but maybe you let your primary sit long enough that it did.

Also why kill yourself over a part of the hobby that is the biggest PITA anyway? Isn't your birthday coming up? Time to get yourself a kegerator.

This batch sat in primary one and a half weeks then four weeks in secondary. Too long? I did the caribou slobber recipe from northern brewer and the reviews I read said the longer you give it the better. As for the keg idea, I've been leaning that way for a while. Probably just get one to force carbonate then bottle with a gun. My apartment is too small to have a bunch of kegs.

Back