Official Pipeworks AMA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we're close guys... real close. the last thing i want to do is come on here and be like 'well... **** happened so forget about the cans for right now'.

15ed3tj.jpg

after nearly 6 months in review... our plumbing inspection should be next week. floor gets poured after that. about a month to fully cure and then it's tank and boiler placement. first brew is scheduled for May 25th... with beer out the week of June 8th or 15th tentatively (if this schedule keeps). the NvU can is in preproduction; Close Encounter is right behind it; Lizard King right behind that; then Blood & War Bird right after. this hasn't been easy... we're not sitting on our hands over here but we also did everything from scratch. there is no private equity investment in the company so it might have taken us longer to get where we wanted to go than some other people. we also definitely didn't want to become a caricature of ourself as some on these forums thought we were becoming. all will be well with time. ;-) thanks for following along up to this point good or bad.

we're close guys... real close. the last thing i want to do is come on here and be like 'well... **** happened so forget about the cans for right now'.

15ed3tj.jpg

after nearly 6 months in review... our plumbing inspection should be next week. floor gets poured after that. about a month to fully cure and then it's tank and boiler placement. first brew is scheduled for May 25th... with beer out the week of June 8th or 15th tentatively (if this schedule keeps). the NvU can is in preproduction; Close Encounter is right behind it; Lizard King right behind that; then Blood & War Bird right after. this hasn't been easy... we're not sitting on our hands over here but we also did everything from scratch. there is no private equity investment in the company so it might have taken us longer to get where we wanted to go than some other people. we also definitely didn't want to become a caricature of ourself as some on these forums thought we were becoming. all will be well with time. ;-) thanks for following along up to this point good or bad.
post-31310-thats-wonderful-gif-Andre-the-54aK.gif

CansIn2022 are we gonna see a trial run of Blood & War Bird like we had of lizard king?

Blood of the Unicorn has been brewed multiple times throughout the year since early 2012... So I think we've done several trial runs of it already ;) we are knocking the ABV down though to make it more quaffable.

War Bird should be in tanks soon for a similar preview as Lizard King. Details to follow.

Blood of the Unicorn has been brewed multiple times throughout the year since early 2012... So I think we've done several trial runs of it already ;) we are knocking the ABV down though to make it more quaffable.

War Bird should be in tanks soon for a similar preview as Lizard King. Details to follow.
Im a moron, i read that as a single new beer. excited to get blood in cans. and war bird will be in my face soon enough. any hint on the style?

New brewhouse looks amazing! Are you still using the psycho brew system to pilot? Can you speak at all to the what it was like in the early days using that system? I remember seeing their promos awhile back and it seemed like that was the sole system starting out for you all.

New brewhouse looks amazing! Are you still using the psycho brew system to pilot? Can you speak at all to the what it was like in the early days using that system? I remember seeing their promos awhile back and it seemed like that was the sole system starting out for you all.

We haven't brewed on the Psycho since May of 2013. Drew took it to Indiana and used it to get 18th going but he's since phased it out as well. So unfortunately it will not be a pilot system for us. It was labor intensive since we were trying to fill a 7bbl every day with it.

CansIn2022
I am not too familiar with your startup being in California. But I thought I heard you guys started with a psycobrew system, is this correct? If so would you say that was a good way to get started faster, or would you go with a more traditional brewery?

Hey so I'm sure that this has been answered somewhere but will you be expanding distribution to DeKalb/Sycamore/Rockford on the new system? I know that we get sporadic Pipeworks but will the cans make it here with any regularity?

Provided I still live out here in 2022.

Hey so I'm sure that this has been answered somewhere but will you be expanding distribution to DeKalb/Sycamore/Rockford on the new system? I know that we get sporadic Pipeworks but will the cans make it here with any regularity?

Provided I still live out here in 2022.
Bish they dropped Lundeen's like they were hot. I asked CansIn2022 a few months back. I could go for some square grouper.

Bish they dropped Lundeen's like they were hot. I asked CansIn2022 a few months back. I could go for some square grouper.

Rockford & Dekalb (and some others) we're talked about at length today... part of the plan (and has been for sometime before the post here).

Sorry about the long delay in responses. That's probably a good thing because it means we're busy. Which is true! Here are some updates and I'll eventually get around to answering the rest of the questions on here.

- 155,000 NvU cans will be printed on May 18th
- Blood, Lizard, & Close cans will be right behind with War Bird and Glaucus after.
- Boiler and Glycol lines have been plumbed in as of Friday
- Brewhouse will be delivered Friday May 22nd and installed Tuesday May 26th & 27th
- Hoping to have state license in hand and ready to brew by June 1st or June 8th so cans should be out by July 1st

Sorry about the long delay in responses. That's probably a good thing because it means we're busy. Which is true! Here are some updates and I'll eventually get around to answering the rest of the questions on here.

- 155,000 NvU cans will be printed on May 18th
- Blood, Lizard, & Close cans will be right behind with War Bird and Glaucus after.
- Boiler and Glycol lines have been plumbed in as of Friday
- Brewhouse will be delivered Friday May 22nd and installed Tuesday May 26th & 27th
- Hoping to have state license in hand and ready to brew by June 1st or June 8th so cans should be out by July 1st
Cans by july?!?!?!?!?

We haven't brewed on the Psycho since May of 2013. Drew took it to Indiana and used it to get 18th going but he's since phased it out as well. So unfortunately it will not be a pilot system for us. It was labor intensive since we were trying to fill a 7bbl every day with it.
If you were to go back in time would you stick with the Psycho system, or would you go a different route, or was the benefit of cost savings and time to delivery worth the extra labor to get up and running?

Back