Official Maryland Big Brew Day 2008 Info 2/23

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The yeast, wyeast 1084, isn't really for just Irish ale . I bought it to make a Bells' two hearted clone. It can be used for any stout, pale or IPA, scottish... Dry at low temps, fruity at 64 and up.

If your looking for a good Irish ale (Smithwicks) recipe, Northern brewer has a kit, they give ingredients, that is very nice.

I'm really not looking for a batch to take home, just supplying yeast. If there are any extras, however, I won't say no.

If you're looking for a good Irish ale that was like Smithwicks but turned out better, check my recipes.

Anywho, pending weather, I'll probably be down. I may bring down some ingredients, may not, pending how weather is and how I feel.

If I do bring em, I'll probably do 10g of Ed's Haus Pale and if someone wants 5g of it, then we can split up the recipe.

my problem is I dont know what to bring, will there be time to use peoples stuff 2X? Ive never done an AG brew so I dont know about the time differences...

claphasma said:
my problem is I dont know what to bring, will there be time to use peoples stuff 2X?

I don't think a closing time has been put on this so that's kind of hard to answer. I normally start my brew sessions at 2 pm and finish around 8 (this includes a very slow, careful boil since my pot is only 7.5 gallons as well as cleanup and lugging all my crap upstairs.). I'm pretty sure, assuming 98EXL is fine and you have the time, 2X brews could be done on a single set of equipment.

If you took flytact up on his offer you'd have "your own" rig to do an all-grain batch on but you'd need a burner that can fire a keggle. Even if you don't take him up on that offer, you're still going to need a burner or stovetop if you choose to do an extract batch and I don't know where that will come from. :(

You'd also need grain, which you could get at AHB.

It dawned on me this morning that this is kicking of tomorrow so I went to Annapolis Home Brew's site and saw that they don't have leaf hops listed, they're limiting hops to purchasers of other stuff only and that some varieities are over $4 an ounce.

OUCH.

So I went to Flying Barrel this morning looking to get some hops (Progress and Brewer's Gold) and some yeast to do one of my favorite recipes (which may become my house ale) and everything went downhill from there. Brewer's Gold wasn't there and neither was the suggested Bullion sub. German Brewer's Gold also was gone, and it's sub, Northdown, wasn't in either. The yeast I was looking for wasn't in, nor was my second choice so I got London ESB.

Anyway... I have no idea what I'm going to end up with tomorrow. :) I've got a few ounces of a decently new hop (Phoenix) and a yeast I've never used before. And now I need to find some of my "good" hops. :)

flytact said:
I'll be glad to drop off my mash tun (cooler) and my keggle (10 gallon batch worthy) and chiller in the morning if you'd like. That should allow for another 10 gallons to be brewed.

PM or give a yes and I'll have it there by 9AM if necessary.

Again, my yeast offer still stands for 2000ml of Irish Ale. Need to get it going this morning though to be ready by tomorrow afternoon.

Looking forward to stopping by,
Dave

if you wouldn't mind, that would be great! I'd/we'd really appriciate it!

We can all make a trip to AHB, they have lots of hops and stuff but the website isn't always accurate. If you go in to buy a kit, you'll be fine.

I have 2 propane tanks, and if anyone needs a fill, I have a place half a mile away.

I'm going to do my fat tire clone finally....

Weather is not a problem, I have the 3 car garage, so no biggie.

kitchen use will be out of the question, just so there is less mess to clean up.

As far as what to bring, just bring what you have, and we'll go from there. I think we'll be good. So by my count there is 7-9 people coming?

someone said they could stop by MDHB on the way as well. That would be another option as I believe they are about $1 less per ounce on hops and cheaper grains as well.

I'll drop all my stuff off early in the morning. I'll even bring the burner, sorry out of propane as of last brew. Full setup for anyone to use.

I will be stopping by MDHB since it is on my way and I need supplies. Ill jsut stock up on stuff that I know I can use somewhere :)

If anyone wants me to grab something PM me :)

Well, garage is pretty much prepped and ready to go. I had to run some errands first thing which took longer than expected (grrr) but everything is ready to go as if I were brewing, so yeah, see you guys soon

Hey, just checked the directions -- you're farther away than I thought. I'll leave in a few minutes but I probably won't be there until 11:30 or so.

See you all there,
chris.

today was great fun! im glad for those who showed up. we could definitely do more in the spring with area setup on the driveway and some more keggle action. I hope everyone got some good airation on the way home.

Thanks for having us 98EXL, and good to meet you all. Just got home with my wort and I'm just waiting for it to warm back to room temperature.

Any of those pictures going to be posted?

chris.

It was nice to meet all those able to make it today.

Thanks to Kevin Dean (aka Kevin Dean) for giving up some hops and batteries...it seems I forgot half of everything I needed.

DSCN1187.JPG

DSCN1189.JPG

Here is a link to the ImPaled Ale recipe. Remember to let it age for 9-12 months. I'll post my recipe for the raspberry saison whenever I get a chance.

We killed our camera taking pictures, so as soon as it's charged enough to upload them, I'll post them here. :rockin:

dude....im using my cell phone just fine....put the pics in the thread...if you still have dialup.....well that just sucks

Kevin Dean said:

ahhh, the patient SWMBO's

Dave, thanks again for letting us borrow your equipment, it was a great help!
Chris, thanks again for the leftover wort, I just stepped up my one starter and the trippel yeast I harvested :rockin: Did that 1056 I gave you work out well?

So did our two AG newbs learn anything yesterday, other than I'm nuts? :p

And I can't remember, which one of you was Kevin Dean? ha ha

claphamsa said:
well im busily googling away... Target has 10 gallon coolers for 50$

the turkey fryers seem to be about 60$ at sears.....

nice....coolers are easy to build

yeah, hopefully I can get all the stuff tomorrow.

was hopefully gonna bottle my WTF pilsner today... but its not all settled out... and I got CAPS tix :)

I'm bummed I missed out. I never got a PM from 98 for the details (although I forgot to PM him to remind him to send them to me. In the end, our other events cancelled and it would have been a great day to full brew, instead we just sat home. :(

We gotta do this again in march/april! And I've got to be much more tolerant of last minute changes. :)

jezter6 said:
I'm bummed I missed out. I never got a PM from 98 for the details (although I forgot to PM him to remind him to send them to me. In the end, our other events cancelled and it would have been a great day to full brew, instead we just sat home. :(

We gotta do this again in march/april! And I've got to be much more tolerant of last minute changes. :)

you mean, you guys missed out because you and I were having 'senior moments'? God damnit, oh well.

I would love to do this again in march/april. I'll be able to do 10 gallon batches as well, so between jezter and I, we can crank out some ish! Plus with the two AG newbs, they will be rolling in it to, and there is flytact who can do 10 gallons as well with his equipment and he lives down the street! Then we would really be having a big brew day!

I figured that after we got two people to convert (one has had a googling problem today apparently) we should be able to run around less and just concentrate on brewing. I think that it would work out best if everyone brought thier own stuff like Chris and Kevin did (I don't count), they brought practically everything, and it worked out great.

I already know I'm going to do EdWort's Stone clone in a 10gallon batch then, I have to do a 5 gallon to hold me over till then, I'm almost out!

I really enjoyed having everyone come over yesterday. in March/April, we can extend to the driveway and have more room, and it will be warmer. I totally dug Dave's little table, and can easily build one 4x8 to use down the road for all the mash tuns....I think you could cram 6 onto it, 3 on a side, then have the burners behing that, similar to how we had it yesterday, but double sided. That would just be kinda impressive I think

Here is the recipe for the Black Mass Abbey Stout, for those that were interested. I'll post it to the recipes area whenever I get up the motivation to do it. :)

8349-BlackMassLabel.jpg

Recipe: Black Mass Abbey Stout
Brewer: Matthew Shanks
Specialty Beer
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 8.21 gal
Estimated OG: 1.104
Color: 49.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 66.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 4.74 %
3 lbs 5.3 oz Dark Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min] Extract 15.80 %
11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 52.18 %
1 lbs 1.9 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 5.31 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4.74 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3.56 %
10.1 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 2.99 %
8.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 2.37 %
8.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2.37 %

0.50 oz Liberty [4.00 %] (Dry Hop) Hops
1.10 oz Magnum [14.50 %] (60 min) Hops 55.5 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (15 min) Hops 4.6 IBU
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.00 %] (15 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
1.00 oz Liberty [4.00 %] (2 min) Hops 2.3 IBU

1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 lbs 4.0 oz Brown Sugar, Light (8.0 SRM) Sugar 5.93 %

1 Pkgs Abbey IV Ale Yeast (White Labs #WLP540) [Yeast-Ale
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Total Grain Weight: 15.50 lb

Notes:
------
Mash at 150F
Add Danstar Nottingham yeast prior to bottling

Glad to see you guys had a good time. I really like the pictures. Especially the one with all of the brew kettles cranking. What beers did you brew? Charlie

balto charlie said:
Glad to see you guys had a good time. I really like the pictures. Especially the one with all of the brew kettles cranking. What beers did you brew? Charlie

I made Ed's Haus Pale Ale

chris.

Back