Official Maryland Big Brew Day 2008 Info 2/23

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
old_townie said:
I'm still down for next sat. lets talk what we're bringing. While i Do have the big kettle, my MLT maxes out at a 10 gal batch.... We could use multiple MLTs on one kettle. OR we could decide that someone closer can bring more reasonable gear, rather than me bringing my kettle that is bigger than my car...

Well, it looks like next Sat isn't happening. Our host appears to be MIA.

Jezter,

Your plan sounds good, I am not in any rush. I would prefer to have an organized event to a slap-together one.

Me too. Which is also why I want to have the recipes organized so that we can get bulk malt where possible. My LHBS sells by the sack at a fair price, and I've heard that Maryland Hombebrew does as well. However, some stores are out or have limited quantities of certain hop varieties, that we don't even have recipes for yet.

Goal:
1) Optimize recipes to use the same basic base malt and buy a sack of it cheaper than buying individual items.
2) Optimize time by planning recipes/equipment to be mashing while boiling so we get the most amount of beer done per hour spent standing around getting drunk.
3) Enough to get all participants a carboy of wort to go home with. Pitch your own yeast at home, dry hope at your own leisure.

I'm probably going to be out, honestly. The main reason why I wanted to go to this thing is to meet some of you guys and have a very relaxed, laid back brew day. The more organization that goes into the batch, the less relaxing it will be for me.

I can brew a beer I don't really wanna drink on my own every week. It's a rare occasion that I get to meet over a dozen guys that love homebrewing and get to waste a day talking shop and having fun. With less than half of the expected numbers, a host (and active member) MIA, and being committed to a style I don't really like, the "fun" factor has been drained quite a bit.

I'm totally in the for the next laissez-faire brew day that I can make it to in a reasonable time though.

Kevin Dean said:
I'm probably going to be out, honestly. The main reason why I wanted to go to this thing is to meet some of you guys and have a very relaxed, laid back brew day. The more organization that goes into the batch, the less relaxing it will be for me.

I can brew a beer I don't really wanna drink on my own every week. It's a rare occasion that I get to meet over a dozen guys that love homebrewing and get to waste a day talking shop and having fun. With less than half of the expected numbers, a host (and active member) MIA, and being committed to a style I don't really like, the "fun" factor has been drained quite a bit.

I'm totally in the for the next laissez-faire brew day that I can make it to in a reasonable time though.

I think the reason I'm trying to be (somewhat) anal about the organization is so that we CAN have a relaxed brew day. I'm more concerned about showing up for a brew day with everyone bringing random ingredients, someone forgetting the hops for a planned batch, and turning it INTO a non-relaxing day. Unless everyone loads up their own equipment and brings their own batch, we're all going to have to rely on a few people to bring big equipment to do >5g batches, and the ingredients for those batches.

What 'style' is committed to that you don't like? I made a suggestion for one brew that I would like to do, but there's plenty of options floating around...and probably 6-8 different possible recipes to be done.

I certainly understand that with a bunch of people backing out, we don't want to get all harumphed up for a 3-guy brew day, which is why I thought rescheduling would help out to give more notice to people and be able to better plan your availability.

In that respect, I'd almost like to plan out an April or May brewday in advance so that people can talk to SWMBOs and make sure they don't have any conflicts now.

MULE said:
I hope all is well with 98.

Me too!

jezter6 said:
I think the reason I'm trying to be (somewhat) anal about the organization is so that we CAN have a relaxed brew day. I'm more concerned about showing up for a brew day with everyone bringing random ingredients, someone forgetting the hops for a planned batch, and turning it INTO a non-relaxing day. Unless everyone loads up their own equipment and brings their own batch, we're all going to have to rely on a few people to bring big equipment to do >5g batches, and the ingredients for those batches.

It's a catch 22 there. IF we plan that some people bring something, and someone backs out that ruins the entire day. If we all bring our equipment, then we each get a batch AND a style we like. Personally I LIKE the idea of "everyone bring their own stuff" - I mean, that's how it is every brew day for me anyway. :)

jezter6 said:
What 'style' is committed to that you don't like? I made a suggestion for one brew that I would like to do, but there's plenty of options floating around...and probably 6-8 different possible recipes to be done.

I was speaking specifically to IPA but I think this pretty much applies with any style we all agree to do. I use Maris Otter as my base, even for a modified Ed's Pale Ale mainly because that's what I have around here. I'm not going to piss and moan about "having to use" 2-row but most people here DO use two-row, so we're breaking from our norms. Again, I'm not dead-set on doing any specific thing in terms of recipe and I was referring to a makeshift brew in place of the 23rd, not a new, planned brew day.

jezter6 said:
I certainly understand that with a bunch of people backing out, we don't want to get all harumphed up for a 3-guy brew day, which is why I thought rescheduling would help out to give more notice to people and be able to better plan your availability.

I have no problem setting up a new brew day. My complaint was that we're attempting to salvage this one in which case I can only see it being a nightmare. :)

jezter6 said:
In that respect, I'd almost like to plan out an April or May brewday in advance so that people can talk to SWMBOs and make sure they don't have any conflicts now.

You hosting? :p Seriously, I'm all for a re-schedule. I was really REALLY excited to do this.

Hey Guys: Well I tried. Too many people out at this point. I think we are down to 5 gallons of beer. Well I guess we could do 5 batches of 5 gallons...just kidding. March is a crazy month for me but I'll see what I can do. Charlie

Kevin Dean said:
Me too!

It's a catch 22 there. IF we plan that some people bring something, and someone backs out that ruins the entire day. If we all bring our equipment, then we each get a batch AND a style we like. Personally I LIKE the idea of "everyone bring their own stuff" - I mean, that's how it is every brew day for me anyway. :)

I was speaking specifically to IPA but I think this pretty much applies with any style we all agree to do. I use Maris Otter as my base, even for a modified Ed's Pale Ale mainly because that's what I have around here. I'm not going to piss and moan about "having to use" 2-row but most people here DO use two-row, so we're breaking from our norms. Again, I'm not dead-set on doing any specific thing in terms of recipe and I was referring to a makeshift brew in place of the 23rd, not a new, planned brew day.

I have no problem setting up a new brew day. My complaint was that we're attempting to salvage this one in which case I can only see it being a nightmare. :)

You hosting? :p Seriously, I'm all for a re-schedule. I was really REALLY excited to do this.

If I could host, I would. I live in a townhouse in a little townhouse village. I've got no room to but 5-8 people let alone 14+, or I'd do it in a heartbeat.

The goal with getting the ideas in advance is that we put 1-2 people in charge of the ingredients...guys who are a confirmed GO. Then everyone who wants to participate can bring a few $ and take home a carboy. I'm attempting to rely on the smallest number of people possible so that nobody backs out with a part of an ingredient.

Either way, I think if we can push this just 1 or 2 weeks, we can make it happen. Between my roommate and I, we can probably get a bulk grain purchase at my LHBS and come up with grain, we just need to find hops. Hops are expensive, and often not available in quantity, which is why we need to plan in advance to make sure our suppliers can get them to us in time for brew day.

Half of this is to just have fun, the other half is to teach a little about AG to the extract guys that want to learn. I don't think worrying about if a recipe uses MO or 2-row is something that we should be worrying about. Making simple beer AG that tastes good I think is the goal.

Guys, I wish I could pitch in my place but I live in a town house also. I'm like the other no-AG'ers who want to learn the ropes. I was really looking forward to this and hope that a new date can be set some time in the future. My brother and I just bottled some real ninja beer that will be ready for drinking around March 21st. We would love to share.

:off: BTW- today was the first time I had been to the Fredrick LHBS. The guy that runs the front of the joint is an outstanding fellow. He was more than helpful. :mug:

boo!

quick update for now

Internet crapped out at home (fried router???)
school....(yeah, I went back, damn SWMBO)
work = teh suck and been busier than I have in my life
and I had the creeping crud for almost 3 weeks (the icky flu)

If no one changed plans, I still have this thing ready to go at my house.

I have to go work [hopefully] a short day today.

Jezter, my BB got disconnected because we moved from Craptel to Verizon, and they didn't want me to have BB anymore, so they game me a Q, so BB messenger is gone. Anyway, update to follow around 6-6:30 tonight.

Cliff Notes:
I'm now alive and kicking....real life stuff prevented internet time, and yes, BBD is still on!

~G

DraconianHand said:
Then we need to determine what ingredients we need ASAP! :D

grain, hops, and yeast ;)

I can get some stuff from AHB...seems like most of us are near brick and mortar LHBS, right?

What time are we looking to start this thing again?

I've gotta be in PA by 5pm, so I gotta be done and back to the the north side by 3pm.

Might only have time to do one batch...

I'm still in! SWMBO probably will be too.

I'll have to either hit Flying Barrel this week or hit AHB on the brew day.

We still on for 11am?

Hrmm...at 11am, I don't think I'll be able to make this. :(

I ended up making other plans for earlier in the evening. If this thing kicked off at 9am and we mobile mashed, I could probably get one brew in, but starting at 11am, it'll be late afternoon before it's done.

I'm out for this Saturday. SWMBO made other plans and I've got the kids. :(

Maybe next time. Have fun :mug:

I think I'm still in -- have to check on some tentative plans but as far as I know I'll be there.

So what's the verdict on ingredients, are we going every-brewer-for-him/herself -- everyone brings ingredients for their own recipe?

That's probably easiest for me -- any recommendations on a good first AG brew? Equipped for batch sparge, 1-stage infusion.

Thank

Welcome back 98, we thought you died:D Glad to see you are OK. After trying to keep this thing alive I threw in the towel on Friday and booked next weekend. Sorry, next time. Have a good brewday guys. Charlie

I like that "we thought you died" smiley. Very very touching.

Unless we can start earlier, I fear I'll be out too, but I really want to make it.

If so, I'll probably do 10g of Ed's Haus and share that batch with someone who want to watch and learn.

Speaking of Carboys, Kitchen & Co has 5g ones for $15. Not good for primary, but cheap as hell for secondary.

http://www.thekitchenstore.com/company-information-store-locations.html

we can do every man for himself...or if you can't hit a lhbs we can go to ahb and get ingredients first thing. jjezter if you guys wanna come earlier...you totally can

CallMeZoot said:
That's probably easiest for me -- any recommendations on a good first AG brew? Equipped for batch sparge, 1-stage infusion.

My first all-grain was Ed's Haus Pale Ale and I liked it quite a bit (even thought I tend not to like American beer styles). I've also got an English bitter that I've got on tap and LOVE but the recipe is at home.

Don't worry about making this "simple" though, honestly. I've always found it odd how some people think there's some massive difference between recipes when really, they're all pretty easy. If you've got two grains or 5 grains, it doesn't really make it harder assuming you can find all of the ingredients you need (and if you can't find one grain in a 2-grain brew you're just as screwed). Then with hop additions most recipes do 60-30-15 or some variant and even those aren't too hard.

I guess my point is: You're going to have all-grain brewers to help you and answer questions if you need them, so make it a "good" beer rather than an easy one because you'll have the help. And only you can decide what kind of beer is "good".

For those wondering, weather will be 33 degrees with potential for snow flurries. I'm still in!

98EXL said:
we can do every man for himself...or if you can't hit a lhbs we can go to ahb and get ingredients first thing. jjezter if you guys wanna come earlier...you totally can
Can you have sparge water heated and ready by say 9am? :p

weather is no biggie...3 car garage and heaters....not to mention propane burners

yeah, I can have sparge water heated.....how much?

So are we just for this round (because I'm a duche and was MIA for a month) going to BYOB ingredients or what? It may be easier for the time being.

Secondly, who is still in? Who's bringing SWMBO's? Mine will be there, but has a tennis match at 5pm.

I'll be there for moral support and lending some AG experience. As I said before I can bring yeast, but not until 2PM or so.

Caveat, flu is running rampant through the house, I won't come if I feel icky.

PS: anyone looking to dump some lacrosse gear that would fit a 7 year old?

Ugh, so now my OTHER event for tomorrow cancelled.

Pending weather, I'll probably be there. May just have to work some schedules around.

Garrett - PM me your number and address and I'll see if I can make it. If so, I might bring down some of my gear to do a 10g batch, or we may just bring down some beer and chill out, not sure yet.

What was decided on brewing? I dont have the stuff to do all grain, all i have is a 20Qt pot.... what should I bring? or will this be just watch and learn?

claphasma said:
What was decided on brewing?

Everyone brings their own ingredients and does whatever recipe they want.

claphasma said:
I dont have the stuff to do all grain, all i have is a 20Qt pot.... what should I bring? or will this be just watch and learn?

My equipment hasn't changed. It's not enough to let you do your own AG batch (unless you want to go after me) but IIRC some people had some second burners that may or may not be usable.

I'll be glad to drop off my mash tun (cooler) and my keggle (10 gallon batch worthy) and chiller in the morning if you'd like. That should allow for another 10 gallons to be brewed.

PM or give a yes and I'll have it there by 9AM if necessary.

Again, my yeast offer still stands for 2000ml of Irish Ale. Need to get it going this morning though to be ready by tomorrow afternoon.

Looking forward to stopping by,
Dave

flytact said:
I'll be glad to drop off my mash tun (cooler) and my keggle (10 gallon batch worthy) and chiller in the morning if you'd like. That should allow for another 10 gallons to be brewed.

PM or give a yes and I'll have it there by 9AM if necessary.

Again, my yeast offer still stands for 2000ml of Irish Ale. Need to get it going this morning though to be ready by tomorrow afternoon.

Looking forward to stopping by,
Dave

Id love to split a nice irish ale :) what would you need me to bring?

Back