Official Maryland Big Brew Day 2008 Info 2/23

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my vote is for making beer, I don't care what it is really, just something of the beer flavored nature works for me

• I've gone through all of the post and this is what I THINK people want. If I missed you sorry. Fill in the blanks or change what I entered and we can get some recipes figured out.
  • 98EXL & SWMBO
  • 1) IPA
  • 2) Eds Haus Ale
  • Claphamsa
  • 1)
  • 2)
  • DraconianHand & SWMBO
  • 1)
  • 2)
  • Kevin Dean
  • 1)
  • 2)
  • balto Charlie
  • 1)IPA
  • 2)Nut Brown ale
  • jezter6 & Roomate
  • 1) Eds Haus Beer
  • 2)jester Irish Red Ale
  • CallMeZoot
  • 1)IPA
  • 2) Stout
  • old_townie – possible
  • 1)
  • 2)
  • sak3358 - w/buddy (newbs
  • 1)
  • 2)
  • flytact - coming late?
  • 1)
  • 2)
  • sak3358
  • 1)
  • 2)
  • SewerRanger
  • 1)
  • 2)

How about a no-boil, non-carbonated, grape-flavored beer using grape juice and wine yeast, bottled and corked in 750ml bottles? :eek:

chris.

I'm going to be missing out on this one and it bums me out. I really can't get out of going to this stupid concert. Bah!

Definetly mark me down for the next one though.

adx said:
I'm going to be missing out on this one and it bums me out. I really can't get out of going to this stupid concert. Bah!

Definetly mark me down for the next one though.

what concert are you going to?

Something that SWMBO has this big thing planned out at Strathmore. I'm sure it's some sort of classical thing. It's not till the evening, but we have to entertain some people in the afternoon before it.

Sounds like a good time. My brother (who posts on this forum) and I will seek kitchen passes if you have room for two more new brewers.

I'm coming late to the gathering, but will bring at least 2 batches worth of Wyeast1084-Irish Ale.
I guess whether or not I can fill a carboy will dictate whether I walk or drive.

As for ingredients, MD Homebrew is a good source as well. They sell bulk grains for about $50-55 per sack. The hop prices are also still very reasonable. I can pick up the grains and contribute a mill and drop them off early if necessary, if you'd like to go that route.

My ideas: Export stout (Jamil's recipe from BYO is outstanding!). I'll have 10 gallons of IPA (2-hearted) percolating by then.

I'm gonna brew an IPA (for the first, and for a while, last) time. My second brew will be a Bitter of some sort since it's my typical style.

Most of their hops appear to be $2.50 - $3.00 an ounce. The higher AA hops are about $1 more. At least these are the online prices for pellets.

I'll be there on Thursday (like every Thursday) and will scope out the prices.

I wanted to bump this thread... I sent 98EXL a PM a few days ago and haven't heard from him, has he been around?

My wife wants to know what the rules of smoking are. She's a smoker (I am not) and she doesn't want to come if you don't want people smoking but she'll tag along if she can.

I'm a smoker, and I will be there. From what I heard, this will be in the garage, so you should always be able to jump outside and have a quick puff.

At least she won't be alone. :)

If all else fails, we can hotbox my jeep.

I think that 98EXL pretty much said 'Brew Beer' though several of us are planning to do IPAs.

*knock on wood*

98EXL hasn't been on the forums since 1-30-08. People are certainly free to kick back for a week, but has anyone heard from the guy? The brew day is drawing closer and his departure was a bit... abrupt, I'm hoping everything is alright.

I don't know what to think. Does anyone know 98?? Should we have a plan B? Perhaps get a second head count to see who is still in. I'll leave it to the AG guys to come up with recipes.
There's a club brew, Wootown brewers, on March 22 that I plan on going to. It has HUGE SS cookers. Charlie

Kevin Dean said:
I think that 98EXL pretty much said 'Brew Beer' though several of us are planning to do IPAs.

So we're not shooting for everybody to brew the same beer? That probably simplifies things a bit, should I just pick up some ingredients for one batch of whatever I feel like brewing?

There was talk about bringing extra carboys or jugs and swapping wort at the end of the day -- are we still shooting for that or will it be every-brewer-for-him(her)self?

chris.

Sadly, I'm unable to get in touch with 98EXL in any other form. I tried his blackberry, but his phone was off or otherwise unable to get contact, so right now we're in limbo.

I have another possible event to go to that weekend, so if I don't hear anything soon, I'm probably going to bail on this and let us reschedule a brewday for March/April timeframe.

I called his cell and got it went directly to voice mail. :( I'm still going to buy my stuff and hope the best. I'm really worried now, I don't think he'd randomly vanish for anything good.

Well, unless we hear from him soon, looks like February is a bust. I've got a party to go to that evening anywho up in PA, so I'm going to bail out of this one for now.

Let's hope we can come up with something for next month. Sadly, all I have is a townhouse, so I don't quite have the room for a good event like this.

jezter6 said:
Well, unless we hear from him soon, looks like February is a bust. I've got a party to go to that evening anywho up in PA, so I'm going to bail out of this one for now.

Let's hope we can come up with something for next month. Sadly, all I have is a townhouse, so I don't quite have the room for a good event like this.

This is a bummer. I can offer my home in Catonsville IF the AG guys organize the recipes and order the ingredients. Everyone else can pitch in $$ for the stuff.
I have an old detached garage if weather sucks. I also have a huge covered porch but the ceiling might make brewing there hard, don't know. We can at least sit on the porch and brew next to it. If one of the AG guys wants to scope out the place to see if it will work, drop me a line. I have NO AG gear except a propane tank or 2. So it's up to the AG folks to keep this ball a rolling. If nothing else my home is more centrally located. Let's organize it now or end it now so we can plan next weekend. So post up if you are still in. Charlie

I propose we cancel this one, and rethink things for either 1-2 Mar or 8-9 Mar. We're close to a week away, no firm recipes, and a lot of suggestions and ideas but no clear cut answers.

Anywho, that's just my $0.02.

For next time, I propose the following (based on equipment, times subject to change):
9:30am - Mash in 10g recipe #1.
10:00am - Mash in 10g recpie #2.
11:00am - Begin boil recipe #1.
11:15am - Mash in 10g recipe #3.
11:30am - Begin boil recipe #2.
11:45am - Mash in 10g recipe #4.
12:30pm - Finish boil #1 & cool.
12:45pm - Begin boil recipe #3.
1:00pm - Finish boil #2 & cool.
1:15pm - Begin boil recipe #4.
2:00pm - Finish boil #3 and cool.
2:15pm - Finish boil #4 and cool.

That gives us 40 gallons of wort, or 8 carboys. Maybe with a little break between #4 and any other brewing, or additional equipment we could get a few others in. I saw old_townie has a monster pot, so 2 brews in that could end up netting us 6-8 more. That should be well enough to get us into enough for everyone.

So, 4 brews in my equipment and 2 in townie gives us 6 recipes at a minimum. We should get 6 AG people willing to 'run' each batch and make sure it works. Hopefully these would be recipes they've done before and can vouch for. Then once we have how many carboys of each brew being made, you can sign up for what you want to take home. The guys who 'run' get dibs on the first 6 carboys they want.

I will volunteer to run a batch of Irish Red or Alt (pending demand). I would like to get a carboy of Ed's Haus Pale if someone does it (which I think they should).

We have ~14 brewers that expressed interest, with another 50% in SWMBOs, brew friends, etc. Do you have place for ~21 people with 3-4 boil kettles going?

I have no space at all, I keep half of my brewing crap in the basement and that's because my room is in overflow mode now.

It's a bummer that this isn't going to work out. :(

jezter6 said:
I propose we cancel this one, and rethink things for either 1-2 Mar or 8-9 Mar. We're close to a week away, no firm recipes, and a lot of suggestions and ideas but no clear cut answers.

Anywho, that's just my $0.02.

For next time, I propose the following (based on equipment, times subject to change):
9:30am - Mash in 10g recipe #1.
10:00am - Mash in 10g recpie #2.
11:00am - Begin boil recipe #1.
11:15am - Mash in 10g recipe #3.
11:30am - Begin boil recipe #2.
11:45am - Mash in 10g recipe #4.
12:30pm - Finish boil #1 & cool.
12:45pm - Begin boil recipe #3.
1:00pm - Finish boil #2 & cool.
1:15pm - Begin boil recipe #4.
2:00pm - Finish boil #3 and cool.
2:15pm - Finish boil #4 and cool.

That gives us 40 gallons of wort, or 8 carboys. Maybe with a little break between #4 and any other brewing, or additional equipment we could get a few others in. I saw old_townie has a monster pot, so 2 brews in that could end up netting us 6-8 more. That should be well enough to get us into enough for everyone.

So, 4 brews in my equipment and 2 in townie gives us 6 recipes at a minimum. We should get 6 AG people willing to 'run' each batch and make sure it works. Hopefully these would be recipes they've done before and can vouch for. Then once we have how many carboys of each brew being made, you can sign up for what you want to take home. The guys who 'run' get dibs on the first 6 carboys they want.

I will volunteer to run a batch of Irish Red or Alt (pending demand). I would like to get a carboy of Ed's Haus Pale if someone does it (which I think they should).

We have ~14 brewers that expressed interest, with another 50% in SWMBOs, brew friends, etc. Do you have place for ~21 people with 3-4 boil kettles going?

I have a LOT of space. Huge yard, driveway, parking pad, patio etc So #'s are not a problem. I would still like to see this happen on the original date.

Kevin Dean said:
I have no space at all, I keep half of my brewing crap in the basement and that's because my room is in overflow mode now.

It's a bummer that this isn't going to work out. :(

It can still work. You're an AG brewer. I figure we need you at least one more AG guy to commit and this can happen. There were originally 14 or so people intersted. If this is like most internet happenings the numbers dwindle as event time nears. So Kevin are you still interested?? Jetzer are you definitely out? Calling any of the other AG guys??? Charlie

March 1, 2, and 9 are all good for me (right now). I am an AG and can commit if a date is set. Unfortunately, I don't have the equipment to brew 10 gallon batches. My stove top is 5 gal and my system is too bit for me to move.

Still interested, but I'm another AG-wanna-learner, and only have the gear to do a 5 gallon batch.

chris.

My roommate and I were discussing this again this morning on the way to work. I think we'd prefer to move this to 2-3 weeks down the road. We'd like to get recipes SET in stone, and contact a LHBS either up by us or down by some of you south Baltimore types, and get all the grains and hops ordered for a big brew day. I know that some stores are limiting the amount of hops per order, so we may have to source from different places to get all the stuff we need. Let's take this weekend and next weekend to get highly organized this time around and have everything done in advance.

What do you guys think??

I'm still down for next sat. lets talk what we're bringing. While i Do have the big kettle, my MLT maxes out at a 10 gal batch.... We could use multiple MLTs on one kettle. OR we could decide that someone closer can bring more reasonable gear, rather than me bringing my kettle that is bigger than my car...

I figured out what we have:
Zoot w/ 5 gal capacity
Kevin w/ 5 Gallon Capacity(he might be a maybe)
Drac w/ chillers and Mash cooler
Jetzer huge capacity(he's a maybe)
claphamsa and me: spectators and cheerleaders

If Old townie (28 gallon mega) pot shows interest and combines w/ Drac this could be a 10 gallon batch.

SO: w/ out Jetzer and oldtownie we can only do 10 gallons of beer at a time but we could double and have 20.
Jetzer makes a good point on getting ingredients. With hops being as they are, we will have to secure from different stores &/or different buyers. This might pose a problem.
So: Here's where I stand, I still offer the house for those interested, if the number of people and gallons are small, so be it. If folks want to wait then I'm good with that as well. Time in March often becomes crazy for me. I willl run into is my kids spring break, Easter and outdoor trips(climbing, paddlings etc). BUT my oldest is starting to brew and he might get a kick out of it so we'll see. Also I committed to brewing w/ Wootown in late March.
Charlie

Edit: Old townie is in!! See What Drac has and see what you 2 can do!!

Latest posts

Back