OFFICIAL De Garde + Tillamook County Thread!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can find them on at least one mountainside (but probably more) near Juneau Alaska but they are not widespread or easy to find. I don't know if they are available commercially anywhere. They are incredible though, I used to get one tiny jar of jelly per year.
ISO: Berry picker from Alaska
Yeah I've searched endlessly for these online to no availe.

I think it'd be a hard conversation with Linsey;
'hey hun, I need to spend a few thousand dollars on some berries today. Yeah, for just a couple barrels. Kthnx.'
:)
Plus side, I found plants for sale reasonably priced, and I guess they grow in Washington too.
So either we start farming them, or Libbey brings them to us. ;)

Kiwiberries. Taste like kiwies, but are smaller and with an edible outside. We just macerate them whole.
Otherwise, hell no.
You mean these duders?

Plus side, I found plants for sale reasonably priced, and I guess they grow in Washington too.
So either we start farming them, or Libbey brings them to us. ;)

I know regular kiwifruit definitely do. My dad has the devil's own job trying to keep their creeping vines off my parents' house. One pair of male/female vines puts out ~150 kiwis a year if they're hand-fertilized, though they stay hard and sour for like a trillion months after harvesting.

Last edited:
creeping ... male/female... hand-fertilized... stay hard and sour.... harvesting.

tumblr_lzq64xbZPN1qjthg6o1_400.gif

Have you thought about a celery bu

First rule of 3S: You don't talk about 3S.
It's already been discussed on the trade forums.
Can someone tell me about 3S?
Spontaneously fermented Belgian golden with elderflowers. Spent time in port, Chardonnay and gin barrels. Not sold publicly. I think that's basically it.

Also Cucumber Bu.

Never say die.

Also, word is we are starting to trickle out our newest wild farmhouse blends, Saison Desay No.1, 2, and 3.
Blends of long aged historic Saison inspired beers. Many barrels, many recipes, three blends. A couple hundred bottles rolled out each week to save any craziness.
Is there a difference between blends?

I am heading to Tillamook June 6th. Plan on going hiking in the morning, go to Pelican Pub for lunch, tour Tillamook Cheese factory, then head to De Garde afterwards. Are there any suggestions/tips for visiting? Can I expect some De Garde bottles available to go?

Visited Tillamook, had a wonderful time. Went to Pelican for lunch (had a reuben). Then went out to the light house. Ate cheese at Tillamook and Blue Heron. Had some great beer at De Garde. Went on a little bit of hike by the river, and then headed back into Portland to hit up some more breweries. It was a great day.

Only sad part was there were no to go bottles at De Garde. But I was able to get a couple bottles through in person trades.

Last edited:
We will rectify. Will be in your area within twelve months hopefully. Bottles in hand.
Your peach wild was killer by the way. Just finished it after some post brew day kayaking.

Sounds great! I am glad you liked the sour. I will get some more infected sour beers going and ready for you.

So on Saturday is everyone just grabbing their bottles and heading out or.... bottle share or anything?

The announcement said the tasting room won't be open yet, so I don't know where a bottle share would happen. I plan to just grab bottles and head out.

Just wanted to share a little nugget that made me like degardebrewing even more:

Was ticking some beers to celebrate finishing the Bar Exam the other day and I cracked de Garde Biere de Garde. I thought it was tasty, rated it a 4, but said it was "slightly underwhelming for a Keepers release" just because I've enjoyed all the other Keepers releases so much.

A few hours later, I'm back on my phone, look at Untappd, and there is a comment from de Garde apologizing because it didn't live up to my absurd neckbeard expectations (which really just means it wasn't as good as the Lily, which may be my favorite wild of all time) and promising to "do better." Don't ever change degardebrewing.

LYMI. SRS.

Just wanted to share a little nugget that made me like degardebrewing even more:

Was ticking some beers to celebrate finishing the Bar Exam the other day and I cracked de Garde Biere de Garde. I thought it was tasty, rated it a 4, but said it was "slightly underwhelming for a Keepers release" just because I've enjoyed all the other Keepers releases so much.

A few hours later, I'm back on my phone, look at Untappd, and there is a comment from de Garde apologizing because it didn't live up to my absurd neckbeard expectations (which really just means it wasn't as good as the Lily, which may be my favorite wild of all time) and promising to "do better." Don't ever change degardebrewing.

LYMI. SRS.

Thanks man, and CONGRATULATIONS!
It's always a bummer to me when we don't/can't live up to folks expectations. It's why we're always trying (and I believe succeeding) in doing better. Better beer. Always.

If you liked the Lily, we will have some pretty exciting follow-ups from that program coming in the near future. Blending a few unfruited barrels for packaging this week. If they condition as expected (and taste half as good as the trial blends) I'm going to be REALLY happy. More grapes coming soon as well, amongst other fruit.

Also, thanks to everyone who came out for our release and tasting room reopening yesterday. We're loving the new space.
We'll be adding our on premise bottle selection this coming week as well to expand our offerings, and are working towards cask offerings of moderate aged wild beers to rotate through as we find some exciting single barrels to pull from.
Everything we can do to make your visit more enjoyable after the voyage out to nowhere Oregon.

Thanks for having us yesterday degardebrewing! Great beer and a great time as always.

Are you resuming regular tasting room hours, Thurs through Sunday?

Thanks man, and CONGRATULATIONS!
It's always a bummer to me when we don't/can't live up to folks expectations. It's why we're always trying (and I believe succeeding) in doing better. Better beer. Always.

If you liked the Lily, we will have some pretty exciting follow-ups from that program coming in the near future. Blending a few unfruited barrels for packaging this week. If they condition as expected (and taste half as good as the trial blends) I'm going to be REALLY happy. More grapes coming soon as well, amongst other fruit.

(One of) The thing(s) that I love about you guys is your experimentation. Every beer is an experience, whether it's my favorite de Garde or not. I like the chance to try something extremely experimental like Loak Bean, Cornelio Nunez, Faux Pas as much as I like the chance to try Lily or Imp. Raspberry Bu. I'm excited to hear you're happy with the wild program as I'm in for 2 wild memberships and a berliner membership for this coming year.

I'll be in Portland in early September to visit hopstar and winthrop and attend the Brews for New Avenues event, which those two both swear by. I'll make sure to say whatup in Tillamook or at the event.

I had a great time as always hanging out in Tillamook. The outdoor seating area is clutch, especially for those who have dogs!

Indeed. Jackson gives the outdoor tables a thumbs up. Even though he doesn't have thumbs.

Enjoyed my first Degarde last night. Their Hose. It was pretty damn good. Looking forward to the other bottles my cousin brought down for me.... Brewing some bomb stuff up there gents.

Back