Off topic, sorta. Need a new forum?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CryoEng

Reaction score
I sincerely don't want to cause a lot of consternation, but...

Is it just me or do we need a new "Please critique my recipe so I can argue with your analysis and do what I wanted to do anyway since I only started this because I must post something and really don't have a question or comment to offer..." forum?

Discussing ingredients and recipes has turned into a plea for attention. Or so it seems... Yes?

Cheers!

OK then.

There are certainly enough "please tell me something, anything about the 3 pages of BeerSmith output I'm posting that could somehow make me feel better" posts to warrant a separate forum?

If I'm wrong, the number of forum responses will be huge, so the topic would deserve its own forum.

If I'm right, no one will ever look at that forum and we can lose the critiquing task altogether.

Yes?

Cheers!

I sincerely don't want to cause a lot of consternation, but...

Is it just me or do we need a new "Please critique my recipe so I can argue with your analysis and do what I wanted to do anyway since I only started this because I must post something and really don't have a question or comment to offer..." forum?

Discussing ingredients and recipes has turned into a plea for attention. Or so it seems... Yes?

Cheers!

There is a wide spectrum of approaches to be sure. While there are some who seem to be looking more for justification for what they are doing, or worse have already done it so it can't be corrected anyway, rather than actual legitimate advice, the majority do seem to be asking honest questions. Perhaps you just ran into a few questionable ones by coincidence.

Perhaps a new forum: "People keep talking about things that I would prefer they not or responding in ways I don't like, but instead of making my own website I would rather make passive-aggressive pretentious posts."

I bet we could get a lot of responses to that one.

Perhaps a new forum: "People keep talking about things that I would prefer they not or responding in ways I don't like, but instead of making my own website I would rather make passive-aggressive pretentious posts."

I bet we could get a lot of responses to that one.

This.

Pardon me if I ever post a recipe for critique. Clearly it's going to send you the edge.

FWIW, no one forces you to click. Just a thought.

This.

Pardon me if I ever post a recipe for critique. Clearly it's going to send you the edge.

FWIW, no one forces you to click. Just a thought.

Generally, I don't. But I will help where I can.

Cheers!

There is a wide spectrum of approaches to be sure. While there are some who seem to be looking more for justification for what they are doing, or worse have already done it so it can't be corrected anyway, rather than actual legitimate advice, the majority do seem to be asking honest questions. Perhaps you just ran into a few questionable ones by coincidence.

It just seems a sub forum in the beginner's area or something would be more appropriate. I see very few of these pleas that appear genuine.

If it's your last brew session and your cousin's second child's math grade depends on it, ok. Let's all chime in and make sure you brew a beer to conquer pre-calculus. Otherwise, why not brew it and critique it yourself?

Do you have a question or just trying to make me feel like a super mentor?

I know, brew it, send it to me and I'll tell you how great it was.

Discussions on the impacts of ingredients and experiences with combinations seems like .... discussions. "Please tell me anything you can come up with about this thing I've dreamed up" is more on the order of "I need someone to talk to me."

Cheers!

Otherwise, why not brew it and critique it yourself?

Because putting our heads together can usually give a great result?

I frequently put new recipes up for critique, although I'm good with recipes. Sometimes I have a thought about how ingredients will play together, especially if I'm using a new hop variety or a new malt, or making a style that I'm not as familiar with.

I'm pretty good with most styles, but I haven't made a dopplebock in a long time, and I probably could use some help with the decoction schedule, or the ingredients if I want more of a melanoidin character.

That's the whole point of the forum- posting ideas for recipes, asking for critique, and getting it. Otherwise, I don't know what the point would be.

Maybe I"m not as as much of an expert, as I genuine am looking for criticism when I ask questions. I'm also eager to help if I have the knowledge and ability.

I can't follow either of the OPs posts. But, in general, you will be a happier person if you avoid things that give you pain or anguish. That might apply here, not sure.

Excellent advice, but I must say I can't get too excited about this sort of thing.

I just thought the "please comment on my painting" posts fit more in the "welcome to art" area than they do in the "if I had used more ocher in the lower sunset, my horses would have blended better with the background..."

Doesn't matter. Just an idea.

Cheers!

It just seems a sub forum in the beginner's area or something would be more appropriate. I see very few of these pleas that appear genuine.

Really? I just perused the first page and a half and I see maybe one post that is one of those "hey I did this I think it's cool". Everything else seems like a genuine request for input - and the great majority with specific questions. So there's a few silly posts here and there, if someone really is just looking for attention you think they're going to confine it to the "garbage forum" you propose?
:mug:

Because putting our heads together can usually give a great result?

I frequently put new recipes up for critique, although I'm good with recipes. Sometimes I have a thought about how ingredients will play together, especially if I'm using a new hop variety or a new malt, or making a style that I'm not as familiar with.

I'm pretty good with most styles, but I haven't made a dopplebock in a long time, and I probably could use some help with the decoction schedule, or the ingredients if I want more of a melanoidin character.

That's the whole point of the forum- posting ideas for recipes, asking for critique, and getting it. Otherwise, I don't know what the point would be.

Maybe I"m not as as much of an expert, as I genuine am looking for criticism when I ask questions. I'm also eager to help if I have the knowledge and ability.

Having read much of your work, I'd be willing to bet real money you ask for specific info.

I'll look, but if you've thrown out a "tell me anything and everything you can about this list of beer parts I'm thinking of using" post, at least in a lot of years, I'll send you a few of my next ales!! (I'll have to learn to bottle again...)

I'm not here trying to stir something up. Sincerely. I do think asking "please analyze my quantum gravity theory" is different from "if I allow the Planck length to vary, will the number of dimensions be finite."

One is a considered, coherent question. One is an attempt to get extra points because you slept through a couple of lectures...

Cheers!

Really? I just perused the first page and a half and I see maybe one post that is one of those "hey I did this I think it's cool". Everything else seems like a genuine request for input - and the great majority with specific questions. So there's a few silly posts here and there, if someone really is just looking for attention you think they're going to confine it to the "garbage forum" you propose?
:mug:

Maybe I hit the wrong links. The first three I saw tonight had no questions about anything specific. Just "whadda ya think?" and 2 pages of BeerSmith output.

I don't suppose anybody would do anything in particular. Just wondering if a spot in the beginning brewer's area wouldn't be a better fit.

It's obviously not a "garbage forum" from the number of posts. In fact, it's a really popular way of getting a few replies. I think it deserves a special place!

Cheers!

The only part of those posts I'm getting is "Cheers!", possibly as a cry for attention that belongs in another forum, under a different URL.

Time for another home brew.

Maybe I hit the wrong links. The first three I saw tonight had no questions about anything specific. Just "whadda ya think?" and 2 pages of BeerSmith output.

I think people put the whole beersmith file there because 9 times out of 10 if you ask a specific question (say about hops) the first 3 responses are - what is the rest of the recipe, what yeast, what are you mashing at? Alternatively, a beginner or someone new to the style they are trying to brew might not feel like they know the correct question to ask. If you're that bent out of shape about someone saying "here is what I am trying to brew, what do you think?" you probably just need to stick to a different section of the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back