Off grid bottle conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ancientink

Reaction score
So, maybe a strange question but I've been brewing beer,cider,skeeter pee ect for a few years. I always use the basic carbouy method then add sugar,bottle leave for a couple weeks to carbonate then refrigerate to avoid bottle bombs.
I know there is kegging and all that but, I like simple.
My question is my husband and I are moving the family up on a mountain off grid. We will be living in our RV for a few months while we set up the existing cabin for solar,maybe propane so all I will have is my tiny RV frige and I was hoping to make several 5 gallon carbouys of various things to keep us going for a while 😂 but without refrigeration is that possible? Anything I can do? I toyed with the idea of somehow storing them in the creek. I dunno just putting it out there to see if there is anything I can do to keep the bottles from exploding .

Last edited by a moderator:
When you add the proper amount of priming sugar to fully fermented product, then you shouldn't have bottle bombs. Use one of the priming sugar calculators.

Maybe switch to wine or liquor. Skip the carbonation and need to refrigerate.

But yeah, there shouldn't be bottle bombs even if you don't refrigerate when using the right amount of priming solution/sugar. But the quality of the beer may suffer.

I'd brew strong dark beers and drink less. Find a cave or bury them in the ground that's a fairly constant temperature. Take some wine kits, they just need water and the kits no boil and very resilient. Or join AA. I don't mean the Automobile Association as it's known in the UK.

Great , thanks. I do make wine, just don't like it much I will give it a go as I normally do it and see how it goes

Back