Off flavors during bottle conditioning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheatgerm

Reaction score
I brewed BM's OktoberFAST a month ago. When tasting it on bottling day, it tasted fantastic. Very clean fermentation with S-04. That was two weeks ago. Now, after carbonating at 75F for two weeks, it has a very bubblegummy/estery taste. Is this typical, or am I just crazy?

Your just crazy....your beer may still be green, and needs more conditioning time, or you have an infection...but I'm betting for the former. Check back in a couple weeks.

Cool.

By the way. What's the difference between maturing in a secondary and maturing after bottling? Does the introduction of straight sucrose change the yeast's flavor profile?

Carbonation changes the flavor profile....and the yeast being active cleans up byproducts once again. Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Just a followup on this thread. Another week at 72F has done wonders for this beer. The bubbblegum flavor is completely gone. The one that I left in the fridge from last week still tastes bad. Thanks again.

Back