Off flavor frustration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really feel your pain. My scenario is very similar to yours:

Been brewing for a year and a half.
6 batches in.
Took an eight month break after batch three when work got too crazy and kid 3 was born.
Only one good batch so far.

But my problems are different than yours. My beer goes to **** in the fermenter, even with a proper pitch and a homemade fermentation chamber with a temp controller.

I won't give up if you don't!

I promise you cloudybrewer there will be no giving up here! Good beer shall be made by all!!! Only one good batch here and I'm still looking for a bigger used chest freezer so I can fit more carboys!

Would adding two packs of the dried yeast serve the same purpose as making a starter? Since under pitching is one of my concerns

Sorry to be late answering - been really tied up. Yes, two packets of yeast would address an under pitching problem, but it's generally thought that one 11 gram packet is good for up to 5 gallons at up to 1.060 OG. The rehydration process can be a problem though. What is your rehydration process (I don't think I've seen it in this thread).

Sorry to be late answering - been really tied up. Yes, two packets of yeast would address an under pitching problem, but it's generally thought that one 11 gram packet is good for up to 5 gallons at up to 1.060 OG. The rehydration process can be a problem though. What is your rehydration process (I don't think I've seen it in this thread).

No worries. I totally get the tied up thing. I generally boil a cup of water cool it to 85-90F add yeast and let it sit for 15min mix it and give it 15 more minutes or so before thinking about pitching.

I'm hearing Band-Aid and also cidery taste.

1. Cidery is often caused by using too much sugar in your brew. What's your priming sugar procedure? Are you using any corn sugar in your recipe at all? I'm not sure what would cause the other off-flavor (Band-Aid) if this was the problem, but it could be related to a different fermentation problem or a second problem.

2. Band-Aid is usually linked to chlorine, but if you're using RO water you should be good there. I really really don't think you would find anything of that nature just because of star-san. Band-aid flavor is usually associated with using diluted bleach as a sanitizer and not rinsing well enough. I don't think a few left over suds from municipal water would cause it. I use untreated water every brewday for sanitizing almost everything that needs to be sanitized, and we have a good amount of chlorine here.

3. You mentioned the extract twang and you're not sure what that might be like. Before I went to all-grain, I used to get that all the time and it went away when I started buying DME from MoreBeer instead of buying canned LME at my local shop. My theory is that the DME keeps better and turns a lot faster at MoreBeer compared to the local sohp, and therefore is a lot fresher. I don't know if those are correct, but it'd be worth trying out buying extract online if you aren't already. You know it'll be fresh from a major online retailer just because of how much they sell.

I'm hearing Band-Aid and also cidery taste.

1. Cidery is often caused by using too much sugar in your brew. What's your priming sugar procedure? Are you using any corn sugar in your recipe at all? I'm not sure what would cause the other off-flavor (Band-Aid) if this was the problem, but it could be related to a different fermentation problem or a second problem.

2. Band-Aid is usually linked to chlorine, but if you're using RO water you should be good there. I really really don't think you would find anything of that nature just because of star-san. Band-aid flavor is usually associated with using diluted bleach as a sanitizer and not rinsing well enough. I don't think a few left over suds from municipal water would cause it. I use untreated water every brewday for sanitizing almost everything that needs to be sanitized, and we have a good amount of chlorine here.

3. You mentioned the extract twang and you're not sure what that might be like. Before I went to all-grain, I used to get that all the time and it went away when I started buying DME from MoreBeer instead of buying canned LME at my local shop. My theory is that the DME keeps better and turns a lot faster at MoreBeer compared to the local sohp, and therefore is a lot fresher. I don't know if those are correct, but it'd be worth trying out buying extract online if you aren't already. You know it'll be fresh from a major online retailer just because of how much they sell.

I so want to just do all grain but I need a bigger kettle yet. Not quite in the budget. You may be on to something with the LME. Seems the best batch I brewed was all DME. Interesting. I prime with corn sugar according to whatever kit I brew.

No worries. I totally get the tied up thing. I generally boil a cup of water cool it to 85-90F add yeast and let it sit for 15min mix it and give it 15 more minutes or so before thinking about pitching.

There are a couple of items that could be problems. One is too much time between starting rehydration and pitching. According to an email from Danstar, "Our technical manager suggests that you don't go longer than 30 minutes after the start of rehydration before pitching the yeast into wort as the yeast needs nutrients. If there is a delay you could actually add more wort to the rehydration water to give the yeast something to eat while you are waiting to pitch it, so long as it isn't too hot." For me, it's always longer than 30 minutes, so I add about 3/4 oz of chilled wort after the 5 minute rest. (I use Danstar's procedure - add yeast - wait 15 minutes - stir - wait 5 minutes ...)

Also, the yeast slurry should be cooled in steps of no more than 18F to close to the wort temp at pitching. I cool it to 10F or less above wort temp.

I don't really know if yeast is the problem, but if so, maybe this will help.

Just throwing a thought out there that I haven't seen mentioned, so I'd though I would ask. What are you cleaning your bottles with? You say they are spotless, then sanitized, but is it possible you are leaving some residual cleaner in there before you sanitize?

Also, check the source of the "Drinking Water" you are using. Having been in the water business a few years ago, not all water is what it claims to be. Some have been known to skimp a bit on their process.

Just throwing a thought out there that I haven't seen mentioned, so I'd though I would ask. What are you cleaning your bottles with? You say they are spotless, then sanitized, but is it possible you are leaving some residual cleaner in there before you sanitize?

Also, check the source of the "Drinking Water" you are using. Having been in the water business a few years ago, not all water is what it claims to be. Some have been known to skimp a bit on their process.

I use oxiclean free sparingly. I also rinse thoroughly with very hot water. I've often wondered about bottled water. I run a .500MGD water plant for a small municipality and have read similar stories about commercial water. I'm going to switch to demineralized water and give it a shot.

There are a couple of items that could be problems. One is too much time between starting rehydration and pitching. According to an email from Danstar, "Our technical manager suggests that you don't go longer than 30 minutes after the start of rehydration before pitching the yeast into wort as the yeast needs nutrients. If there is a delay you could actually add more wort to the rehydration water to give the yeast something to eat while you are waiting to pitch it, so long as it isn't too hot." For me, it's always longer than 30 minutes, so I add about 3/4 oz of chilled wort after the 5 minute rest. (I use Danstar's procedure - add yeast - wait 15 minutes - stir - wait 5 minutes ...)

Also, the yeast slurry should be cooled in steps of no more than 18F to close to the wort temp at pitching. I cool it to 10F or less above wort temp.

I don't really know if yeast is the problem, but if so, maybe this will help.

I'm going to go with the method you mentioned. I don't know...my gut says I'm under pitching and/or unhealthy stressed yeast. The more I read though the more confused I get. Not giving up by a long shot though. I greatly appreciate the input. Probably would have thrown in the towel has this resource not been available.

I read most of this thread and I didn't see anywhere that you ferment, so I my question is where are you fermenting at? I ask this because a few years ago I was living in a hundred year old house and was fermenting in the basement and eventually developed a mold issue, but I didn't know it for several batches. I had gone through my process and my sanitation. I questioned my home brew club and no one had any answers so on a whim I decided to ferment in my living room and just like that no more off flavor! I started to ferment in other places in the house and no more dumped beer. I have since moved so no more mold issue.

Loving the input! This last batch was about 60F, OG 1.050 when I pitched yeast....which was at about 80F. Possibly shocked yeast? Or would that just get things going a little slower? Fermented at 64F until krausen fell then up to 68 for a week. Too much up and down?

I do this same technique and I have not tasted any bandaid.

I rehydrate the yeast with water that is around the temp of my finger. Should be 92-95? Then I pitch when the wort is 80f, put in my ferm chamber (pop merchandising cooler) and aim for 65. Let it sit for a week then bump it up a few degrees and then after I measure and hit my fg fall to cold crash temps. My only off flavor is grassiness but I suppose that comes with 11oz of hops in a 5gallon.

I read most of this thread and I didn't see anywhere that you ferment, so I my question is where are you fermenting at? I ask this because a few years ago I was living in a hundred year old house and was fermenting in the basement and eventually developed a mold issue, but I didn't know it for several batches. I had gone through my process and my sanitation. I questioned my home brew club and no one had any answers so on a whim I decided to ferment in my living room and just like that no more off flavor! I started to ferment in other places in the house and no more dumped beer. I have since moved so no more mold issue.

First few batches were done in a swamp cooler in the spare bathtub. I've since built a temp controlled fermentation chamber. Glad you were able to figure your issue out. Cheers!

Back