Oddside Ales Firefly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Oddside Ales has been a favorite of mine since I first found them at the local bottle shop. That they are relatively local is a bonus.

Oddside has a reputation of being innovative with their recipes. They tend to skew the palate just enough to be interesting while keeping a nice balance between the ingredients.

firefly6.png

Firefly is the latest pepper beer I've tried from them. I've found the Mayan Mocha Stout to be well balanced and well-made beer with the heat rising as the bottle is consumed. The heat can be regulated by drinking at a faster or slower pace, but is never too warm to interfere with the enjoyment of the beer, and the flavor is subtle and allows the rest of the recipe to show through.

Firefly is the same way. Firefly is a pale ale brewed with habanero peppers and papaya. The mix is interesting as the papaya and malt combine to create a lightly sweet beer, which is balanced not so much by hops, but by the heat of the habanero peppers.

It's a medium body, not overpowering beer with character and it can be enjoyed while eating most any grilled foods like burgers, smoked meats, sausages, etc. And it's interesting enough to stand on it's own if you really want to sit down and sip your way through the bottle. (Or take big mouthfuls and get that carbonation sending the full experience to your taste receptors!)

It's a very flexible beer, complex and well-balanced without being too warm to enjoy.

Back