Odd looking fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WestMichBrewer

Reaction score
I brewed Reaper's Mild over the weekend and pitched a good starter of Wyeast British Ale 1098.
The fermentation took off in a few hours.
This morning I check in on it and the wort is swirling around a lot and the bubbler bubbling hard, but there's almost no kreusen/foam on the top.
I've never seen this before.
Seems at the very least I won't have much head retention...

All yeasts are different, all fermentations are different.... Fermentation is ugly, stinky and scary looking...and has NO relationship to how a beer will ultimately tun out, head retention, flavor, whatever.... it doesn't work that way.

The only time a beer LOOKS like there's something actually wrong is if there is a pellicule growing on top of it...even mold doesn't mean there's something wrong below the surface...but a pellicule usually says there's something other than yeast eating the sugars (which is neither good nor bad, especially if you're making a sour.)

But what a Krausen looks like or doesn't look like? NOPE.... Two beers with the same yeast can even form different Krausen so...

That's why worrying about how something looks, because how it's different from the other times is a fruitless waste of energy...and that's why many of us, instead of hovering over it, and worrying about things, we pitch our yeast and walk away for a month, trusting that after over millions of years, the yeasts know what they're doing.

British yeasts are notorious for scaring new brewers because they look scariest of all....

Everything is fine....

I'm not worried yet...no, just commenting on what I'm seeing in case someone has seen it before.
I've brewed many batches over the last 15 years or so and just have not seen one like this, that's all.
The yeast I'm using was harvested from a batch I brewed maybe 5 months ago and that batch didn't act like this.
I checked this morning and fermentation has slowed quite a bit but is still active...and still no foam.

Latest posts

Back