Odd Keg Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jif

Reaction score
I'm unsure what I did here and I can't seem to figure it out.

My gas disconnect fits on the in just fine but my liquid one will only dispense if I push it down. It sits on it the correct way, so the post is the correct size, but unless I physically push the disconnect down (I assume it's not engaging the poppet) no liquid is dispensed. I've tried a few different disconnects and they all have the same issue, and the disconnect is sitting up further than it ought to be until I push it down. Do I need to replace valves or posts? I can't wrap my head around this one.

Are they seated and locked all the way down? All I can think is you have an oddball post that isn't allowing the liquid plunger to depress the poppet.

See that's the thing, it's not locking down into position. I've got to shove it down to get it to dispense. I'm kind of agreeing on the post issue.

I have one keg like that. It is a bear to get the thing to lock down. I assumed it was the disconnect but switched and the same thing happened. The only time I can really lock it easily is I take all the pressure of the keg. Not much help I know.

I second SAMC's post. If it's a keg you just got they might have not been paying attention when the rebuilt it with the new poppets. I know usually the only time I have problems getting the disconnect to seat, is if the SS balls inside the disconnect are gummed up, or I'm looking at the wrong post. I would try changing out your O rings as well too. Sometimes if those are a little too think with a sticky disconnect and a fussy poppet you could hit it with a sledge hammer and it wont seat right. Clean everything out, pop a new O ring on, and check your poppets to see if you have two gas. Other than that, blame aliens.

It's a keg I've had for awhile, but it's possible I boogered up the matching when I was cleaning all of my kegs.

The double gas post thing was the first thing that came to my mind. But it doesn't have any hash marks on it so I'm not convinced. I'll hook up a gray disconnect to it and see how it fits.

Is it even possible to screw a gas post onto the liquid post threads? I've never tried it, but thought the threads were different sizes.

:confused:

Is it even possible to screw a gas post onto the liquid post threads? I've never tried it, but thought the threads were different sizes.

:confused:

depends on the keg, some info I picked up here somewhere.

Firestone V Challenger, Firestone VI Challenger, Firestone Super Challenger
Gas 9/16"-18 Liquid 5/8" -18

Cornelius Spartan & Super Champion
Gas 19/32" - 18 Liquid 19/32" - 18

Cornelius R (pin lock)
Gas 19/32" - 18 (2-pin) Liquid 19/32" - 18 (3-pin)

John Wood 85, Firestone Challenger
Gas 11/16" - 18 Liquid 3/4" - 18

Firestone A, Firestone R, John Wood RA, John Wood RC (pin lock)
Gas 9/16" - 18 (2-pin) Liquid 9/16" - 18 (3-pin)

You can identify the keg posts easily:
keg-posts-1.jpg

The beverage posts do not have the cuts.

Back