Odd Homegrown Cascade Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMessenger

Reaction score
Got some homegrown Cascade from a friend. They have a sort of an odd aroma that I want to call plastic-like.

When I pull them apart there appears to be quite a bit of lupulin and when rub one between my hands and break it up it has a nice cascade aroma.

Based on this, I figured it would make a good beer and used quite a bit for late hopping and dry hop. Turned out to give the odd aroma to the beer. Underripe or not sufficiently dried seem to be the common issues with home grown hops so I imagine that was the issue. Have any of you experienced a plastic-like aroma in cascades?

4BDB2667-9758-47E6-97ED-2CC4D236E2C0.jpeg

I have a cascade plant and haven't noticed a plastic smell to it. Only more of a vegetable type smell when it's not ready to harvest.

With how green that one looks in the picture it could have been harvested too early or inappropriately dried (or both). I could see slight mildew or mold aroma being perceived as plastic-y.

I don't know what to say about whether to use them. The plastic-y aroma could be easily driven off leaving the nice lupulin flavor/aroma. But it could also carry through the beer. Maybe try making a hop tea with some and see how it tastes.

looks like it was picked early and not dried all the way.
after I dry mine they are very pale in color and brittle and smell wonderful.
my Casacde hops I have had good luck with them flavor and aroma, Caterpillars are my problems.

Thank you for that insight on the color and what that likely means in regards to issues wth harvesting/processing of the hops. I can confirm they are greener than commercial leaf hops and seem to have a bit more moisture.

The beer I made with them was kegged a week ago with 2 more oz of the hops. They’re still not smelling like cascade hops but I’m starting to get used to them and think I’ll be able to enjoy the beer as a sort of odd wet-hop-like experiment

Hops should feel a bit paper-like and make a crinkle sound when rolled between your fingers. Whole hops are then generally dried in a food dehydrator (think beef jerky) or something similar. Is it possible the hops were not dried? Alternatively, do you know if they were treated with some kind of pesticide?View attachment 1hw-hops.jpg

Yeah, easy to get think their ready for picking. But I wait til the paper feel of them and a little brown on the tip of leaves.

Back