Obnoxious Football Trash Talk Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious... if Jennings so clearly had possession of the ball, why wasn't he able to man up and take it from Golden Tate anyway? :D

'Cuz Tate went to Notre Dame.

think of the vegas implications. not just of last night's game, but overall.

insane.

Yeah, Pack -3 was looking good until the refs sucked it up. Was Donaghy refing, by chance? :drunk:

Packers were outplayed which makes a response like "lol, what?" seem purely bitter.

Normal refs: Seahawks 7, Packers 6

:rolleyes:

i'm not saying they would have won or lost with real refs, but to say definitely they would have won is just smug dbaggery

Green Bay has no one to blame but themselves. It should have never come to the refs. Everyone knows what you're suppose to do with a Hail Mary Pass. KNOCK IT DOWN! What was Jennings doing trying to catch it?

:rolleyes:

i'm not saying they would have won or lost with real refs, but to say definitely they would have won is just smug dbaggery

True, If the refs don't blow the calls and the Packers don't make it in the endzone, the entire rest of the game is played differently.

original.gif

That is f'n epic!!!

In Monday's game between the Green Bay Packers and Seattle Seahawks, Seattle faced a 4th-and-10 from the Green Bay 24 with eight seconds remaining in the game.

Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson threw a pass into the end zone. Several players, including Seattle wide receiver Golden Tate and Green Bay safety M.D. Jennings, jumped into the air in an attempt to catch the ball.

While the ball is in the air, Tate can be seen shoving Green Bay cornerback Sam Shields to the ground. This should have been a penalty for offensive pass interference, which would have ended the game. It was not called and is not reviewable in instant replay.

When the players hit the ground in the end zone, the officials determined that both Tate and Jennings had possession of the ball. Under the rule for simultaneous catch, the ball belongs to Tate, the offensive player. The result of the play was a touchdown.

Replay Official Howard Slavin stopped the game for an instant replay review. The aspects of the play that were reviewable included if the ball hit the ground and who had possession of the ball. In the end zone, a ruling of a simultaneous catch is reviewable. That is not the case in the field of play, only in the end zone.

Referee Wayne Elliott determined that no indisputable visual evidence existed to overturn the call on the field, and as a result, the on-field ruling of touchdown stood. The NFL Officiating Department reviewed the video today and supports the decision not to overturn the on-field ruling following the instant replay review.

The result of the game is final.

Applicable rules to the play are as follows:

A player (or players) jumping in the air has not legally gained possession of the ball until he satisfies the elements of a catch listed here.

Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3 of the NFL Rule Book defines a catch:

A forward pass is complete (by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) if a player, who is inbounds:
(a) secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and
(b) touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and
(c) maintains control of the ball long enough, after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, to enable him to perform any act common to the game (i.e., maintaining control long enough to pitch it, pass it, advance with it, or avoid or ward off an opponent, etc.).

When a player (or players) is going to the ground in the attempt to catch a pass, Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3, Item 1 states:

Player Going to the Ground. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.

Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3, Item 5 states:

Simultaneous Catch. If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both players retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control. If the ball is muffed after simultaneous touching by two such players, all the players of the passing team become eligible to catch the loose ball.

So the league goes with "simultaneous catch" and that there's not enough evidence to overturn the call. Suck, cuz the call was b@ll$ for sure. How they figured that a simultaneous catch is beyond comprehension, but it's what they called it on the field, apparently...... :confused: At least the league admits that there shoulda been a PI call on Tate.
I hope they can get the regular officials back on the field soon, cuz it really is starting to take away from the game.

The roles were the other way around or do you not remember the Seahawk/Steeler Superbowl? The refs were horrible in that game and they affected the outcome of the game. But I'm man enough to admit that my team played like absolute CRAP and didn't deserve to win. If they'd played their game, then they'd have put it away and the officials wouldn't have mattered.

Wow!!!! You are just going to be blinded by the fact you are a Seattle homer. You simply won a game you never should have won. Just turn NFL Network on, or listen to NFL Radio on Sirius...anything that isn't biased towards the Seahawks. Tell me what you hear. Unbelievable. You aren't even worth aguring with. You are going to hear what you want to hear. That was a nice offensive pass interference BTW. God damn ref was right there and didn't call it. Just ridiculous and makes me sick as a fan of the NFL.

Wow!!!! You are just going to be blinded by the fact you are a Seattle homer. You simply won a game you never should have won. Just turn NFL Network on, or listen to NFL Radio on Sirius...anything that isn't biased towards the Seahawks. Tell me what you hear. Unbelievable. You aren't even worth aguring with. You are going to hear what you want to hear. That was a nice offensive pass interference BTW. God damn ref was right there and didn't call it. Just ridiculous and makes me sick as a fan of the NFL.

I hear a lot of people focused on one call in order to bring the wrath down on the scab refs and the owners (and not arguing that they don't deserve it) and a few people willing to look at the WHOLE game and the long list of bad calls rather than just looking at one and trying to claim a packer victory based on that. Keep your blinders on if you want, man, and pretend I'm just a homer. I'm willing to look at the entire game and not just one play.

You honestly think that the media is above jumping on something and riding one side of it to whip people into a furor? Seriously?

One HELL of a lot closer. People want outrage so they will find/generate it when they want.

lol, give me a break

if you wanna go on about how the entire game was suspect, I'll agree with that.

but that was not a close call. for one, the massive offensive pass interference call??

for two, Jennings clearly has it first. tate has what, half a hand on it? the entire football world agrees with that analysis.

I hear a lot of people focused on one call in order to bring the wrath down on the scab refs and the owners (and not arguing that they don't deserve it) and a few people willing to look at the WHOLE game and the long list of bad calls rather than just looking at one and trying to claim a packer victory based on that. Keep your blinders on if you want, man, and pretend I'm just a homer. I'm willing to look at the entire game and not just one play.

You honestly think that the media is above jumping on something and riding one side of it to whip people into a furor? Seriously?

You keep spouting the same stuff... Yes, the whole game was FULL of bad calls. But the heart of the matter is that the FINAL play was blown and it ended up costing a team a win.

My hope is that it doesnt end up costing a chance at the playoffs and it ends up being a moot point on both accounts (Seattle making it in and GB not making or vice versa)

lol, give me a break

if you wanna go on about how the entire game was suspect, I'll agree with that.

but that was not a close call. for one, the massive offensive pass interference call??

for two, Jennings clearly has it first. tate has what, half a hand on it? the entire football world agrees with that analysis.

Looks to me like tate has both hands on it and draws it (and Jennings) to his chest as they go down.

"Maybe this was the missing ingredient Vince McMahon needed to make a go of the XFL. The random officiating, even the remarkable way these officials somehow botch instant replay, means you never have any idea what to expect."

lol

You keep spouting the same stuff... Yes, the whole game was FULL of bad calls. But the heart of the matter is that the FINAL play was blown and it ended up costing a team a win.

My hope is that it doesnt end up costing a chance at the playoffs and it ends up being a moot point on both accounts (Seattle making it in and GB not making or vice versa)

Why do you say that's the heart of the matter? Why does that one play mean everything and all the other plays, that were just as vital to the game not count for anything? Because it's more dramatic that way. You can't discount every other bad call and say this was the only one that made a difference.

Looks to me like tate has both hands on it and draws it (and Jennings) to his chest as they go down.

So new rule for next year: If you catch a defensive player that has already caught the ball, it is now a reception for the offense.

Makes sense.

Why do you say that's the heart of the matter? Why does that one play mean everything and all the other plays, that were just as vital to the game not count for anything? Because it's more dramatic that way. You can't discount every other bad call and say this was the only one that made a difference.

Because the "one play" is what determined who got the W and who received the L for their records...

This gif shows the Golden Tate catch/MD Jennings interception pretty well - think it's closer than outrage would imply

One HELL of a lot closer. People want outrage so they will find/generate it when they want.

Who cares, the result of the "catch" is moot because of this:

for one, the massive offensive pass interference call??

That was the most blatant non-call in the history of football.

"Maybe this was the missing ingredient Vince McMahon needed to make a go of the XFL. The random officiating, even the remarkable way these officials somehow botch instant replay, means you never have any idea what to expect."

lol

Replace instant replay with a big wheel they spin to decide the outcome of disputed plays. :D

"It was a bit of a shock to see guys that couldn't officiate in our league were officiating in the NFL,"

-Mitch Mortaza, Commissioner of the Lingerie Football League

LOL

Green Bay has no one to blame but themselves. It should have never come to the refs. Everyone knows what you're suppose to do with a Hail Mary Pass. KNOCK IT DOWN! What was Jennings doing trying to catch it?

I think that is what Sam Sheilds was going to do. Tough to do from the ground though.

motobrewer said:
yeah, every football analyst on the planet thinks otherwise.

a combined total of 99999999 years of football experience thinks jennings has the ball.

but you're right - we should take "Punity's" advice, a drunk, tree-f**king seattle fan, that "tates left hand had first possesion"????

Tell me how you really feel

im glad you starting to see im right though i knew youd come around. Hows it feel to be below the vikings in standings.

Replace instant replay with a big wheel they spin to decide the outcome of disputed plays. :D

i like it, could put it at midfield and have some clowns on little bikes driving around while the Head coach of the team in the wrong spins the wheel.

alright, one more, then i'm done:

Rhone-Dunn, the back judge who had the best view of the play and initially signaled interception, is the most experienced member of the crew. Formerly a Big 12 official, he worked the Sugar Bowl back in 2007 and arena games since then. Easley, the side judge who overruled Rhone-Dunn, is a banker from California, who has officiated high school and junior college games, both football and basketball. Elliott, the head referee who should have gotten his crew together and asked them what they saw before signaling for a touchdown, is a real estate agent in Texas who has worked high school, college, and indoor football.

This was the same crew for last week's Rams-Redskins game—one that got out of hand, and caused Mike Shanahan to tell reporters, "Never have I been involved in a game like this."

also:

http://deadspin.com/5946202/one-online-sports-book-is-refunding-everyone-who-bet-on-the-packers

Back