British Brown Ale Oats 'n Stuff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCatman

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1275 - Thames Valley
Yeast Starter
1L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days @ 64F
Tasting Notes
Light/medium body with nice and smooth toasty/creamy flavors
This was an attempt at a nice and light - but warm and toasty - Northern English Brown. It was the first brew at our new house so the setup and the water were uncertain, but everything turned out quite well! Ended up with 72% overall efficiency, so it's sitting at 4.9% ABV instead of the targeted 5.0%. I also have a closer local brew shop whose hop selecting is a bit limited, so I used US Goldings instead of the preferred EKGs. Here's the recipe:

7.0 lbs Maris Otter
1.0 lbs Brown Malt
8.0 oz Flaked Oats
4.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350L)
4.0 oz Dextrine Malt
2 handfuls of rice hulls

60 min mash at 150F, fly sparge

0.25 oz Fuggles (3.9% AA whole leaf) @ 60 min
0.25 oz US Goldings (5.7% AA whole leaf) @ 60 min
0.25 oz Fuggles @ 30 min
0.25 oz US Goldings @ 30 min
0.25 oz Fuggles @ 15 min
0.25 oz US Goldings @ 15 min
1 Whirlfloc tablet @ 15 min
0.25 oz Fuggles @ 5 min
0.25 oz US Goldings @ 5 min

1 package Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley Ale in 1 Liter starter

Fermented 3 weeks in low 60s F with final 3 days cold crash. Kegged and carbed at 2.2 vol. Served at 44F.

The first few early pours had a bit of an astringent off-flavor, but that has since conditioned out. Overall, I'm very happy with this recipe. The only improvements I would make are to use EKGs instead of the US goldings, and do a longer mash and boil to clean up the off-flavors.

That looks good. Did you really mash at 160 or is that a typo? If you want to try something different next time without the English twist , give wyeast 1450 a shot.

That looks good. Did you really mash at 160 or is that a typo? If you want to try something different next time without the English twist , give wyeast 1450 a shot.

It was a typo, good catch. I was targeting 152F, but the mash tun was stored in a shed outside which I've never done before, so my preheating process was off and it ended up at 150F.

Back