Oatmeal Stout FG after 14 days too high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jramses

Reaction score
After 14 days my first FG reading was 1.024. I was targeting a FG of at least 1.018. I made a yeast starter and used White Labs Dry english ale yeast. Any ideas on why fg is still high? This is my first oatmeal stout I brewed using brew in a bag.

recipe
8 lb United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale
1.75 lb Flaked Oats
1 lb American - Munich - Light 10L
1 lb American - Roasted Barley
0.5 lb German - Carafa III
7 oz American - Caramel / Crystal 40L
3 oz American - Caramel / Crystal 120L

predicted OG 1.065
FG as of now(2 weeks in primary) 1.024
predicted FG 1.018

note i still see and hear a bubble pop out so it's still fermenting
i kept it at around 68 degrees but brought it up to 70 to hopefully rouse the yeast up a bit

batch size was 5 gallons
Mashed for an hour at 155/56 and sparged with an extra gallon at 170 to bring boiling size at 6 gallons
This was a firestone walker velvet merlin clone-ish

Might still be fermenting. You might swirl it a bit too if you think the yeast need roused. Check the gravity again in 3 days. Right now the only thing I can think of is to check that your thermometer is calibrated.

Might still be fermenting. You might swirl it a bit too if you think the yeast need roused. Check the gravity again in 3 days. Right now the only thing I can think of is to check that your thermometer is calibrated.

Ill give it slight swirl. thanks for the feedback

cheers!

I just had the same thing happen with Yoopers Oatmeal Stout. I used Wyeast 1450. OG was 1.056. FG was 1.024. Mashed at 156 for 60. Fermented at 66 and raised to 72 after 3 Days. I double checked my thermometer and it is within 1 deg in ice water or boiling. I didn’t think to rouse the yeast with a swirl. Its possible that I didn’t pitch enough yeast. 5 week old pack in a 1L starter on a stir plate.

I just had the same thing happen with Yoopers Oatmeal Stout. I used Wyeast 1450. OG was 1.056. FG was 1.024. Mashed at 156 for 60. Fermented at 66 and raised to 72 after 3 Days. I double checked my thermometer and it is within 1 deg in ice water or boiling. I didn’t think to rouse the yeast with a swirl. Its possible that I didn’t pitch enough yeast. 5 week old pack in a 1L starter on a stir plate.

Same thing happened to me, FG was 1.024 after 3 weeks. Found one problem for me was my thermometer was off. So combine the high mash temp, with the actual mash temp 2-4 deg higher, with lots of unfermentables to begin with, and it starts to make sense. Going to try it again and use lower mash temps and see what happens.

Same thing happened to me, FG was 1.024 after 3 weeks. Found one problem for me was my thermometer was off. So combine the high mash temp, with the actual mash temp 2-4 deg higher, with lots of unfermentables to begin with, and it starts to make sense. Going to try it again and use lower mash temps and see what happens.

Im going brew this recipe again but at around 152F mash temp and see what happens. Im also curious to hear if anyone thinks I have too many unfermentable sugars in my recipe which couldve boosted my og. I also think I might have underpitched yeast

High mash temps can and will cause you to hit your OG and miss your FG. Slightly under pitching won't cause you to miss your FG, the yeast that are there will reproduce and eat the available sugar, it's not like you have a fixed amount of yeast and each yeastie can only eat a fixed amount of sugar.

Back