Oatmeal stout becomes three different beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calebgk

Wishy-washy
Reaction score
About a year ago, my buddies and I brewed up an oatmeal stout. I swear this has become three different beers through time.

Trying it fresh, meh, it was good, but not anywhere near as satisfying as our dry Irish.

I polished off my keg about 7 months after brewing it. At the end, I was so happy with it. It was way different than fresh. I'd rave to my buddy about how well it had developed, and he didn't really listen. He was turned off of it, and never touched it.

So now, over a year later, he decided to clean the tap and pull a pint. OMG!! It is a completely different beer, again. It has developed flavors we couldn't even imagine happening to this beer. All of a sudden, there is oak, vanilla, bourbon, coffee. We are tasting all manner of elements that were not put there, and were not there 6 months ago.

It honestly tastes like some of our favorite Imperial stouts, although we know it is only about 5.5%.

So, I've had many folks here tell me the benefits of aging, but it is just awesome to be able to taste the results. Our mission is clear, now. We are going to brew this mediocre beer again, throw it in the cold room and forget it for a year.

Awesome man. I plan on aging a lot of my planned beers (and 2 that I have already bottled and another in bulk storage). The big problem I have come up with is where to store them for so long. I am going to have to buy 4 more cases of 22 oz bottles to bottle up the next two batches. I already have 3 cases aging and another 3 gallons in a carboy (brett saison, giving it until August before I bottle).

I can always find the storage room, but the pipeline is the problem. I need to get more made up and in the queue, so I not desperate to fill a keg.

About a year ago, my buddies and I brewed up an oatmeal stout. I swear this has become three different beers through time.

Trying it fresh, meh, it was good, but not anywhere near as satisfying as our dry Irish.

I polished off my keg about 7 months after brewing it. At the end, I was so happy with it. It was way different than fresh. I'd rave to my buddy about how well it had developed, and he didn't really listen. He was turned off of it, and never touched it.

So now, over a year later, he decided to clean the tap and pull a pint. OMG!! It is a completely different beer, again. It has developed flavors we couldn't even imagine happening to this beer. All of a sudden, there is oak, vanilla, bourbon, coffee. We are tasting all manner of elements that were not put there, and were not there 6 months ago.

It honestly tastes like some of our favorite Imperial stouts, although we know it is only about 5.5%.

So, I've had many folks here tell me the benefits of aging, but it is just awesome to be able to taste the results. Our mission is clear, now. We are going to brew this mediocre beer again, throw it in the cold room and forget it for a year.

It's too bad he had to sample his stout so young. Another year and it would have been awesome. :rockin: My stout lasted a bit over 2 years and while it was good at six months, better at a year, it really did change for the better at over 2 years. It's a sad day, but I drank the last bottle of that batch.

Back