O2 Cylinder Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hlhorne

Reaction score
I just purchased an oxygen cylinder (2.1 oz Bernzomatic) for oxygenating my wort prior to pitching.

Where do you store your oxygen cylinder at home? The flammability warnings are rather creepy, and I can't think of a place in the house that satisfies all the warnings you read about. I would put it in my garage, but during the summer I imagine the temperatures get pretty high in there.

Thanks, Schnitzengiggle. That was my first thought (just put it in the closet) before I started reading all these warnings.

I have a 50# o2 cylinder. Just keep it in the basement, where I do my brewing. Meh, what's the worst that could happen?!

I have my 20 cubic foot O2 tank right next to the entrance to my apartment. IMO, it's safe as long as you don't leave it where it will get too hot (and have the safety valve release). My apartment hit 100F in the kitchen last summer (over that a few days) and the CO2 tanks I have had zero issue. :D

my wife must have been blown to bits in a former life, because she thinks everything is explosive, so i store mine with everything else in my house that makes her afraid that i'm going to blow her up: somewhere where she doesn't see it. just be careful not to let roy schieder fire his rifle in the vicinity of your secret bomb room...

that's not a bad idea either: just somewhere away from being seen.

I find the warnings rather conflicting...they say to store the cylinder somewhere well ventilated, but not where there is much foot traffic or human presence, and definitely not in living areas. But you also can't store these in an enclosed area or where the temp could reach > 120 F.

Where do you think that all the welding rigs mounted on the back of trucks in Texas keep their bottles in the middle of the summer?

I keep mine in the spare bedroom I use for storing my brewing equipment. Remember that those warnings are written by lawyers. They are intended to absolve the manufacturer of any and all liability for anything some stupid customer does. They are not written as a common sense use and storage guide.

I also just purchased the same cylinder and was wondering the same thing. I'll just keep it in a closet in the house, since the garage or the shed will be well over 100 degrees starting within the next month or so.

I kept my 5 pound O2 tank in the garage with my propane tanks, and 4 CO2 tanks. Then when my neighbor set his garage on fire with oily rags in a bucket I decided that moving the propane and oxygen to the barn would be a a better idea. So now I only have the one propane tank that's hooked to my brewstand and my CO2 in the garage. All the spare propane tanks and the oxygen can explode harmlessly in my barn.

Misplaced_Canuck said:
Oxygen doesn't "burn" by itself. It increases the flammability of other stuff. Keep it away from open flames (gas burner, oil furnaces, fireplace, etc) as those items flames might get unruly.

MC

Very good. Oxygen is an oxidizer. I can't remember terminology, there are also flammables and combustibles. Oxygen may also fit into one of those categories since it is consumed during the burn, thus not a catalyst? Bottom line, keep it from getting extremely hot and don't vent it in the house. That cigarette that got dropped on the couch will now be able to burn the house down quicker if you do.

Back