O.g f.g

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecheberline

Reaction score
Can somebody help me. I brew beer all the time but i dont understand this o.g 1.052 f.g 1.009. I know it sounds dumb and is dumb im brewing and dont even know. Please help

You're measuring density of the liquid--sugar content--with a hydrometer. Water has a base density of 1.000. The Original Gravity of your beer is 1.052. After fermentation, Final Gravity will be 1.009. The difference represents the alcohol the yeast converted from the sugars.

OG = Original Gravity
FG = Final Gravity

OG 1052 and FG 1009 = about 5.6% ABV and 82% attenuation according to online calculators.

OG is original gravity and it is higher than the gravity of water (1.000) because it has sugars in it that make it more dense. As the yeast eat the sugars and produce alcohol, the gravity goes down because the sugars are used up and the alcohol is less dense than water. When all the sugars are gone and the alcohol is at its highest level, all yeast activity pretty much stops and your brew is at Final Gravity, expressed as FG. If the yeast are still actively converting the sugars to alcohol, you can measure the beer's specific gravity to see how the ferment is progressing but that gravity reading isn't the final gravity. That is why we recommend more than one measurement with a couple days between to verify that the specific gravity isn't still changing.

Back