O.G. Barleywine and ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Architect-Dave

Architect & Fledgling Home Brewer (5-Mana Brewing)
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
HELP!! I just brewed a Barleywine extract kit yesterday and the O.G. was at 1.14. I pitched two packs of US-05 and am a day into fermentation. It is fermenting at a decent clip and looks pretty standard to any other fermentation that I have done in the past. I added yeast nutrient into the wort 15 minutes before flame out. US-05 is good to 11%. But, assuming a F.G. Of 1.02, I am at almost 16%.

Is this an issue?

HELP!! I just brewed a Barleywine extract kit yesterday and the O.G. was at 1.14. I pitched two packs of US-05 and am a day into fermentation. It is fermenting at a decent clip and looks pretty standard to any other fermentation that I have done in the past. I added yeast nutrient into the wort 15 minutes before flame out. US-05 is good to 11%. But, assuming a F.G. Of 1.02, I am at almost 16%.

Is this an issue?
Not likely an issue because you are very unlikely to reach a final gravity that low. Yeast cannot digest some sugars and these undigested sugars will affect your final gravity. Expect 1.030 to 1.035 or possibly a bit higher.

Not likely an issue because you are very unlikely to reach a final gravity that low. Yeast cannot digest some sugars and these undigested sugars will affect your final gravity. Expect 1.030 to 1.035 or possibly a bit higher.
Okay, but even at 1.04 F.G., we are looking at 14%. Still above the upper limit of the 05. Will it just end up being sweeter at the end? Would adding an addition packet in now do anything?

I did a barleywine that US-05 took from 1.139 to 1.041, for 12.9% ABV. It did it (and the beer was good!), but it did take forever to knock down those last 10 or so gravity points. I had to warm it up, leave it for an additional few weeks, etc. On the other hand, I had a braggot go from 1.123 to 1.031 (12.1%) with no trouble.

Adding another packet of US-05 isn't going to help anything.

I've had better luck with Nottingham in big beers. It just rips through 1.1XX beers in days.

I did a barleywine that US-05 took from 1.139 to 1.041, for 12.9% ABV. It did it (and the beer was good!), but it did take forever to knock down those last 10 or so gravity points. I had to warm it up, leave it for an additional few weeks, etc. On the other hand, I had a braggot go from 1.123 to 1.031 (12.1%) with no trouble.

Adding another packet of US-05 isn't going to help anything.

I've had better luck with Nottingham in big beers. It just rips through 1.1XX beers in days.
Well, we will see what happens. Hopefully the nutrient helps it out. It is chugging away nicely, though. How many packets did you use for that beer?

Sounds like things are going fine. Honestly, sometimes it's best to just let a beer become what it wants to be. Monkeying around during fermentation usually makes things worse. If you don't like how it turns out, just brew it again.
Yep. I hear you. I am already rethinking the yeast for next time…but I have a few months before trying this one…

Why go for so high a ABV? You just trying to have something that kicks your friends butts so they get plastered before they consume all your brew?

Unlike a good scotch, beer is for drinking, not sipping. But I guess you did call this a barley wine.

Recently I brewed a Helles using the Augustiner strain. Fermentation was problematic: it overattenuated, had strange aromas, and I was sure it was infected. Initial taste tests were awful. Almost dumped it. After a month in lagering it's the best damn beer I've ever brewed.

Let a beer do it's thing and make adjustments to the next recipe.

Last edited:
Why go for so high a ABV? You just trying to have something that kicks your friends butts so they get plastered before they consume all your brew?

Unlike a good scotch, beer is for drinking, not sipping. But I guess you did call this a barley wine.
I was more concerned with the yeast being able to handle the OG…it is rated for up to 11% and the beer will be over that.

It was just an actual serious question on my part. I think the others gave you some decent advice on what you need to do.
Of course. Not knocking your question. But my buddies need a kick in their ass now and then. We were playing cards one night and they broke some barley wines that were out of control…so good and so heavy…looking to recreate that beer. We were all raving about that beer.

Just get a good 19 to 21 year old scotch! That'll mellow everyone out and make you all smiley, mellow and friendly.

With beer I see mixed results. Makes some people mellow and others rowdy.

Just get a good 19 to 21 year old scotch! That'll mellow everyone out and make you all smiley, mellow and friendly.

With beer I see mixed results. Makes some people mellow and others rowdy.
These guys are beer drinkers…and nerds…after our black belt classes we sit together, drink beer, laugh and play Magic. They all love Scotch as well..it is all good. I just worry that weeks of waiting end up going down the drain on a mess up like too little yeast. Otherwise, it is all good.

Back