'Nuther Firestone Question - washers/o-rings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisS68

Reaction score
I have a Firestone (or is it a Spartenburg) Challenger VI. It has the nylon gas tube and flat rubber washers as opposed to o-rings.

I was looking to replace the washers. I know that Williams has the correct washers, but I've got a batch I wanted to get kegged, so I headed to the local hardware store. Unfortunately, they didn't have anything quite right in the flat washer department. For o-rings they had some that looked about right, and even though they were 3/32" (the spec on the Williams washers) I was worried about thickness. They look like the standard Corny o-ring, and I had read on here that the standard o-ring was too thin, but doubling them up could work. They had another o-ring that was 1/8" thick. I figured too thick would be better than too thin. Its ID was a little smaller, but with the help of some water they slipped on the tubes no problem.

When I got the keg put back together, the liquid-out disconnect went on just fine, but the gas side simply would not lock into place. After messing around a while, I decided to use the thinner o-ring. After reassembly the disconnect locked on with no problem. It seems the thicker o-ring was forcing the legs of the poppet too high into the post. Does this sound right? It seems to go against what I've read on here. I would think the post would hold the shoulder of the tube at the correct height. I'm going to hold off on kegging and do a pressure check to make sure it holds pressure.

Thanks!

Chris

If you've got the plastic washers, you don't need an o-ring on the gas side. The plastic washers make a seal on the metal face around the plastic gas tubes (sort of like the plastic washer that you use on your regulator/tank connection). The tube itself isn't really meant to touch anything but the metal hole around it. I doubt it would hurt anything to have a small o-ring in there, but it isn't necessary.

I'm not completely sure that I'm answering your question here. Post again if I haven't.

-Jeff

Edit: The o-rings are required on the liquid side, and the ones I ended up with from Williams are a lot smaller than the one it came with. They still seem to be working fine though.

Not sure if they're plastic. They seem like rubber to me. BTW, this keg doesn't have that nylon insert on the gas side. Interesting that the o-ring isn't necessary. It came with washers on both sides, but that might be why the gas tube was so difficult to remove.
So I've got the thicker o-ring on the liquid side, and the thin ring on the gas side. I put 15 pounds in it, and as of this morning it looks like the keg is holding pressure ok, so I figure I should be safe to keg the brew.

Thanks for the input!

Chris

I order my o-ring sets from McMaster-Carr. I actually prefer the silicone material better.

Here are the part numbers:

9396K74
9396K24
9396K926

The smaller dip and post o-rings come in packs of 100 and the Large lid gaskets come in packs of 5-6 (i forget).

Not sure if they're plastic. They seem like rubber to me. BTW, this keg doesn't have that nylon insert on the gas side. Interesting that the o-ring isn't necessary. It came with washers on both sides, but that might be why the gas tube was so difficult to remove.
So I've got the thicker o-ring on the liquid side, and the thin ring on the gas side. I put 15 pounds in it, and as of this morning it looks like the keg is holding pressure ok, so I figure I should be safe to keg the brew.

Thanks for the input!

Chris

We may be talking about two different types of kegs then. The one that I've got has a nylon insert on the gas side (that's what I meant by plastic washer). I guess if it works, then you're good to go.

Back