Nut Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmrfz9

Reaction score
hey,
I'm a bit new to homebrewing (about 5 under my belt) and I would like to try an English Brown Ale now. I found this recipe that looks nice.

1lb crystal malt 80L
1lb English brown malt
3.3lbs Liquid light extract
1lb Dark Brown Sugar
1lb maple syrup
.5 lb corn sugar
1 oz fuggle (boiled 60 min.)
1 oz Goldings (boiled 15 min.)
WYeast 1338 European Ale

I have some questions.

Firstly, does this look decent? I like Newcastle but I'm not looking for a clone.
Secondly, when would I add the brown sugar and maple syrup? flame out? 10 min before? Those are my thoughts, what are yours?

Looks mostly good. The brown malt may not add much, as I think it needs to be mashed, but it won't really hurt, either. A pound of maple syrup seems like a lot. I think you could cut the maple syrup to half a pound and skip the brown sugar and corn sugar completely. Use 6.6 lbs of LME instead. Add the maple syrup at flameout.

+1 for what Yuri said. I would actually leave the syrup out all together and the brown malt and sugar as well. Steep .5 chocolate, 1 lb victory, .5 carapils and 1 lb crystal 80 or higher. Use 6 lbs dme and some goldings or fuggles and I would call it yummy. Buttttt....YMMV according to your taste buds. Generally that amount of straight sugar will raise the ABV without raising the taste that much.

What if I were to bottle with the maple syrup? might that come out delicious, and how much would I have to use in a 5 gallon batch?

Jmrfz9 said:
What if I were to bottle with the maple syrup? might that come out delicious, and how much would I have to use in a 5 gallon batch?
Don't bother. You probably wouldn't use enough to make a difference, and you run the risk of miscalculating.

cant go wrong with

1/4 lb chocolate
1/4 lb special B
1/4 lb special roast
1/4 lb biscuit

keep it simple.

I've found that when making a nut brown, i won't even make it w/o special roast. i'd skip the maple syrup all together. I made a beer with maple syrup in the boil and it turned out terrible-haven't used it since. i also made a beer with brown sugar and it turned out good. it may be a mismatch in flavors with this style though, so i wouldn't use it in a nut brown. here is my nut brown recipe:
7# pale ale
6 oz 130L crystal
4 oz chocolate
2# victory
4 oz special roast
Wyeast 1056
1 oz n. brewer (bittering, 60 min)
1 oz cascade (flavor, aroma)

turned out great!

Back