Nugget Nectar Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just a smiley update on my NN clone, listen up Reddskinnfan, my friend and fellow HBT'er (and his gfriend) had a gifted bottle last nite and left me a voice message on my home phone to the tune of "this beer is like heaven". Even hot a PM this morning from him saying the beer was pretty good. What can I say. I think it came out pretty good, thanks to a great recipe. This is what home brewing is all about, making beer because its fun, I like to drink what I make and sharing with friends and having them provide honest feedback. When the feedback is this positive, well, it makes me want to brew again this weekend :ban:

Cheers

Who is the fellow HBT'er?

Mad congrats sheldon! That's awesome. Your's is definitely one I had my eye on. I can only dream to attain such recognition when I finally begin my adventure.

Pocono - appreciate the update. I just may have to make that my first brew :)

reddskinn - I know you were tinkering around with the recipe quite a bit, and more insight you could bestow upon us?

Once again, thanks for all the updates. Who knows, maybe one day I'll be able to post one of my own.

Well, we won a gold medal for our first attempt. Preping for another tweaked a bit version. Need some feedback on how you folks think using 2 packs of Notty would work to feed the wort.

Well, we won a gold medal for our first attempt. Preping for another tweaked a bit version. Need some feedback on how you folks think using 2 packs of Notty would work to feed the wort.

Sheldon,

Can you post your recipe again, for all of those who are new to this thread?

Mad congrats sheldon! That's awesome. Your's is definitely one I had my eye on. I can only dream to attain such recognition when I finally begin my adventure.

Pocono - appreciate the update. I just may have to make that my first brew :)

reddskinn - I know you were tinkering around with the recipe quite a bit, and more insight you could bestow upon us?

Once again, thanks for all the updates. Who knows, maybe one day I'll be able to post one of my own.

I have like 5 versions of this recipe now. :)

I can't decide which I like best, really. They all have a little something that is unique about them. I would just say to start with my recipe and brew it at least once, then tweak to your heart's content.

Reddskinnfan, post 184 is gold medal winner. I have a slite tweak (for what I have) and think im going to use 2 packs of Notty for the next week's version. Its gona ferment for a while. Jr brewmaster and I are headed to Belgium in 13 days for a drunkcation.

I'm excited. Sheldon, I'm coming over! There's no nugget nectar to be found until February and I need something. Wish I had gone to the DCHB event to get a taste. Congrats. I may have to try an extract version of this to see how close I can get.

I'm excited. Sheldon, I'm coming over! There's no nugget nectar to be found until February and I need something. Wish I had gone to the DCHB event to get a taste. Congrats. I may have to try an extract version of this to see how close I can get.

Sheldon/Jaynik,

We should all get together for a brew sometime. I bet we could get some real wild stuff going on. Maybe even a barrel beer.

Brewing my NN clone next weekend so it can sit in primary while I am in Belgium drinking and touring breweries. Anybody that is interested in coming by to share a home brew PM me for addy.

Cheers

Here is what I did for 5.25 gal batch

9.53 lb pilsner
2.25 lb Munich Malt
2.25 lb Vienna Malt
.32 lb Crystal 60L
1 oz Nugget FWH
.5 oz Warrior FWH
1 oz Columbus 15 min
.75 oz Simcoe 10 min
.25 oz Northern Brewer 10 min
.5 lb Wildflower Honey 10 min
1 oz Cascade 5 min
1 oz Nugget 0 min
.5 ozWarrior (Fermenter)
1 oz Nugget (Fermenter)
1 oz Nugget (Dry hop)
.5 oz Warrior (Dry hop)
2 packaged S-05 dry yeast

Mashed at 150 degrees for 90 minutes
Boiled for 90 minutes
Fermented at around 64-67 degrees for 2 weeks, then dry hopped for 5 days
OG 1.079
FG 1.012
Efficiency was 75%

Beer is pretty tastey!
ABV 8.8% (a bit high)

Sheldon,

This is basically my recipe with the addition of the honey. Did the honey help? Was it slightly sweeter? Mine was already pretty dry, and I am thinking that I am gonna use California V yeast this time around.

Montanandy, the trip was really awesome. We hot 9 or 10 breweries on the tour and Josh (my son) and I found another 3 or 4 in Holland and Belgium. We were on a barge with about 20 others, including Jason and Todd (Beer Advocate dudes). Not a cheap vacation, but one for the bucket list. We even got to the Westy temple and had an opportunity to attend a prayer session with the monks. How bad can a trip to beer nirvana be :)

reddskinnfan:

yea the recipe is a tweak of yours and tasted pretty good going into bottles. It was a bit sweet, but hope it mellows out as it conditions. Some day we should organize a NOVA HBT home brewers get together to tastes each others brews.

Montanandy, the trip was really awesome. We hot 9 or 10 breweries on the tour and Josh (my son) and I found another 3 or 4 in Holland and Belgium. We were on a barge with about 20 others, including Jason and Todd (Beer Advocate dudes). Not a cheap vacation, but one for the bucket list. We even got to the Westy temple and had an opportunity to attend a prayer session with the monks. How bad can a trip to beer nirvana be :)

Sounds like you had a great trip. This is indeed something that I want to do at some point. Don't known if my wife will be up for visiting as many breweries as you did but if I agree to visit Belgian chocolatiers with her I may have a chance...

the ride from the barge to the breweries was always in a touring style comfy bus and partying is permitted :) Chocolate is the word when it comes to Belgium along with great food and beer.

Dang it. I wish I monitored this site more. I would have liked to come by while you brewed the NN clone. I'm still excited about this! Only a couple months until Troegs brews up the real deal. I think I'll make a trip back up there when it first comes out. I wonder if they'll fill a corny...

Also what do you guys think would be a better substitute for the Warrior - more Columbus or more Nugget? I have lbs of both and dont want to run out to get Warrior. Im leaning toward Nugget.

Sweet thanks for the quick response. Yea no sense of taking Nugget out of Nugget Nectar. I assume most of those IBUs came from the FWH? Is it still sweet? Thats one of the attributes I really like about NN.

Hey guys, thanks for this thread! I read every post prior to brewing NN and took all the info from this thread. It may not be an exact clone, but this brew was damned good! Here's the recipe I used:

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Recipe Name: Nugget Nectar v2
Brewed On: 9-24-2011

Batch Size (Gal): 6.00
Est. IBU: 91.0
Actual OG: 1.064 Plato: 15.77
Actual FG: 1.014 Plato: 3.69

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
63.5 10.00 lbs. Vienna Malt Germany 1.037 3
28.6 4.50 lbs. Pilsener Germany 1.038 2
3.2 0.50 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60
4.8 0.75 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Nugget Whole 12.00 39.7 First WH
0.50 oz. Warrior Pellet 16.00 26.5 First WH
0.75 oz. Zeus Whole 16.40 11.0 15 min.
1.00 oz. Simcoe Whole 12.30 8.2 10 min.
1.00 oz. Centennial Whole 10.10 5.6 5 min.
1.00 oz. Nugget Whole 13.00 0.0 0 min.
1.00 oz. Nugget Whole 13.00 0.0 Dry Hop
1.00 oz. Warrior Pellet 14.50 0.0 Dry Hop

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 Unit(s)Whirlfloc Fining 5 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1056 Amercan Ale/Chico

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 15.75
Water Qts: 31.50 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 7.88 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 2.00 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 149 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 168 Time: 15
Sparge Temp : 168 Time: 45

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

I have this guy sitting in primary from Saturday. Let me know what you think. MY room still reeks of hoppiness.

Malt & Fermentables

% LB OZ MALT OR FERMENTABLE PPG °L
51% 6 0 Briess Pilsen/Light LME correction 37 2 ~
21% 2 8 Munich Malt 37 9 ~
21% 2 8 Vienna Malt 36 3 ~
4% 0 8 Briess DME Golden Light 43 5 ~
3% 0 5 American Crystal 60L 34 60 ~
Batch size: 5.0 gallons

Original Gravity

1.080 measured
(1.076 estimated)

Final Gravity

1.021 / 5.3° Plato
(1.018 to 1.022)

Color
9° SRM / 17.73° EBC measured
(9° SRM estimated)
(Gold to Copper)

Mash Efficiency
75%

Hops

USE TIME OZ VARIETY FORM AA
boil 60 mins 1.0 Nugget pellet 13.0
boil 60 mins 1.0 Warrior pellet 15.0
boil 10 mins 1.0 Columbus (Tomahawk) pellet 14.0
boil 10 mins 1.0 Simcoe leaf 13.0
boil 1 min 1.0 Nugget pellet 13.0
boil 1 min 1.0 Palisades pellet 9.5
dry hop 14 days 1.0 Nugget pellet 13.0
dry hop 14 days 1.0 Warrior pellet 15.0

Boil: 5.0 avg gallons for 60 minutes

Bitterness
97.2 IBU / 56 HBU
ƒ: Tinseth
BU:GU

Yeast
Safale US-05 Dry Yeast
ale yeast in dry form with low to medium flocculation and 73% attenuation
Safale US-05 Dry Yeast info
ale yeast in dry form with low to medium flocculation and 73% attenuation

Alcohol
7.3% ABV / 6% ABW

Calories
252 per 12 oz.
misc

USE TIME AMOUNT INGREDIENT
boil 15 min 1 tsp Irish Moss

I think I pretty much did the reddskinnfan recipe on page 9. Going to be a strong one.

Malt & Fermentables

#10 Pilsner Malt
#2.5 Vienna
#2.5 Munich
#0.5 60L

Original Gravity

1.084 measured
(1.082 estimated)

Final Gravity

1.021 / 5.3° Plato
(1.018 to 1.022)

Color
8.8° SRM
(Gold to Copper)

Mash Efficiency
78.6%

Hops

FWH 1oz Nugget
FWH .05oz Warrior
20 min 1oz Columbus
10 min 1oz Simcoe
5 min 1 oz Palisade
Flame Out 1oz Nugget
Primary 1oz Nugget
Primary 0.5oz Warrior
Dry Hop 1oz Nugget
Dry Hop 0.5oz Warrior

Yeast
Two packs of rehydrated Safale US-05 Dry Yeast

Alcohol
8.7% ABV / 6.9% ABW

Calories
281 per 12 oz.
misc

theveganbrewer said:
I think I pretty much did the reddskinnfan recipe on page 9. Going to be a strong one.

Malt & Fermentables

#10 Pilsner Malt
#2.5 Vienna
#2.5 Munich
#0.5 60L

Original Gravity

1.084 measured
(1.082 estimated)

Final Gravity

1.021 / 5.3° Plato
(1.018 to 1.022)

Color
8.8° SRM
(Gold to Copper)

Mash Efficiency
78.6%

Hops

FWH 1oz Nugget
FWH .05oz Warrior
20 min 1oz Columbus
10 min 1oz Simcoe
5 min 1 oz Palisade
Flame Out 1oz Nugget
Primary 1oz Nugget
Primary 0.5oz Warrior
Dry Hop 1oz Nugget
Dry Hop 0.5oz Warrior

Yeast
Two packs of rehydrated Safale US-05 Dry Yeast

Alcohol
8.7% ABV / 6.9% ABW

Calories
281 per 12 oz.
misc

Let me know what you think. I am currently trying the recipe outlined by the Trogner Bros. When they were one the Sunday Session a while back.

We'll see how it turns out (and if there was any truth to what they were saying).

Let me know what you think. I am currently trying the recipe outlined by the Trogner Bros. When they were one the Sunday Session a while back.

We'll see how it turns out (and if there was any truth to what they were saying).

Looking forward to it. By the time I saw that info from the brewers I had ordered the supplies for this recipe. I have enough of all the hops to do a 2nd version as well and will probably do so next month.

version #3 in fermenter. Going to be a bit high in est ABV (9%), but tasted pretty good prior to pitching. Time will tell.

Sheldon said:
version #3 in fermenter. Going to be a bit high in est ABV (9%), but tasted pretty good prior to pitching. Time will tell.

Shave you made tweaks to the recipe?

Mind sharing the current recipe?

Where did Shave come from?

I will try to remember to post recipe tonite or manana, if I remember, send me a PM, that will get my attention. Not sure how much of a tweak.

Latest posts

Back