now which starter was my trapist

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freebd

Reaction score
I harvested yeast from two bottle of store bought beer the other night. one was a Chimay Blue and the other was a Rogue John John (Dead guy ale Aged in Dead guy Whiskey Barrels). so I went ahead and made a starter out of each one and set them aside in my spare room.one smalll detail though, I didn't label which was which...GGRRRR!!! One started Fermenting in about 8 hours and the other never took off tell I put a heater in the room over 36 hours later and boosted the temp to about 70 F. So it was my first assumption that the one that took off right away would be the pacman and the slower one was the Trapist. Speeed forward a few days to today when i decided to add more fresh wort to each one...I poored a little of each in a glass to taste them... and wow... I was wrong in thinking which was which. The one I had thought was the pacman was really the Trapist and it tasted amazing...I never knew just plain light golden DME wort could tast so wonderful... I can't wait to make my first Belgium soon!!!

My guess is that the one that didn't take off right away is the chimey. I've cultured that one before and it takes forever!

That is if your John John actually had yeast. if it didn't then I don't know.

Latest posts

Back