Nottingham Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that's an interesting statement. I would think using a dry yeast
would guarantee at least some lag. When I was using it, 18-36 hour
lags were common. No problems with starters made from liquid yeast.
Jim
My experience is that dry works faster, although I don't use starters. I've seen activity within 90 minutes with dry. US-05 usually shows signs of life with a few hours in my batches. So to not see any activity 14 hours later, yikes!

I re-pitched with another pack of Nottingham today, also stamped, but newer, and have some surface activity about 6 hours later. I hope this experience didn't get me a nice vinegary beer.

Inexcusable that these buffoons are still selling stamped packets after all of this.

I picked up a few packets of Notty about a month ago. I'm having second thoughts about using it after reading here. This problem should have been resolved a long time ago. If my packets are heavily stamped they may go directly to the trash bin.

Wow, I wish I read this thread yesterday, or even 2 hours ago.

Pitched a 8-10 packet last night, nothing. Then re-pitched a 6-11 packet an hour ago. Dry yeast should show activity in an hour. Both packets were stamped.

If these retarded apes cost me the time and work and hops I put into this IPA, I'll be furious. The whole reason I use dry yeast is I don't want lag! :mad:

whoa that's alot of yeast. mine didn't take off until day 5-6 and now it's gurgling away with use of 3 packets. def expect a few days b4 any real activity, but eventually it will go. i wonder if there'll be any off flavors from a high gravity wort sitting around for almost 5 days. my guess is yes:mad:

go figure, the one time i use dry yeast that's been collecting dust i have problems. i think i'll stick w/ WL & Wyeast in all future batches!

I know it has been stated over in over again that you don't need a starter with dry yeast, but I always make one if I am using yeast straight from a package. This confirms the viability of the yeast, increases pitch rates and reduces lag time. I like to pitch at least 1 liter of actively fermenting starter per 5 gallons.

That being said, I made a batch of nut brown about 8 weeks ago with one satchel of nottingham prepared with a 1 liter starter. I had fermentation going in less than an hour and at 63 degrees I got from 1.051 to 1.011 with a wort mashed at 153. I then pitched a 1.074 wort that was mashed at 157 onto the cake..in 4 days it was down to 1.018.

This yeast is quickly becoming my favorite...when fermented between 58 and 65 degrees you get huge attenuation, great flocculation and virtually no esters.

Once you have a succesfull fermentation it is great to wash and store the yeast for next time. I have brewed 16 batches of beer sinces september and used only 4 packs/vials of yeast. the rest of have been from washed yeast or pitched on the cake.

nottingham is in a virtual lock with my US-05/S-04 mix yeast as my favorite. Nottingham is taking the lead because it tolerates cold better....the safale yeast..especially S-04, tends to drop out at 62 or less.

Nottingham sure seems like a nice strong yeast, when it works that is. I ordered a handful of packets from BMW, the first time I used one it worked fine and had strong fermentation within 12 hours. This time it's been 32 hours and nothing. The packets all were STAMPED with 6/11 expiration. So I just added a packet of s-05, to a slightly funny smelling day and a half old wort. I will just have to keep my fingers crossed on this one.

Not citrusy. Closest thing I can compare it to is a mild lactic tartness, but without the zingy-ness. It's a dry, minerally tartness.

I got the same thing in a dry stout made with Nottingham. It's not bad at all- it's not strong at all, and it actually works in the stout's flavor, but I didn't do anything that should have made it tart at all.

Out of curiosity, what temps were you all fermenting at? I was about 70-72 F.

Nottingham's range is supposed to be 57-70 degrees. I have noticed 'off flavors' from fermenting at or above the recommended range, especially if the room is at 70, so your wort would be 75 degrees or so at peak fermentation. I don't know if this is the cause of your flavor issues, but it's a good candidate. When I've used Notty, it works very well and is relatively clean at the lower end of its spectrum.

I got the same thing in a dry stout made with Nottingham. It's not bad at all- it's not strong at all, and it actually works in the stout's flavor, but I didn't do anything that should have made it tart at all.

Out of curiosity, what temps were you all fermenting at? I was about 70-72 F.

70-72 is too warm for nottingham, unless you are purposely tryin to get estery flavors. IMO 65-67 is the nottinham sweet spot.

Oh, I wasn't bitching at all- the tangy flavor actually works for the dry stout; it's like adding a little bit of the soured beer to a guinness clone.

I was just pointing out that I fermented hot (due to the temp-controlled freezer being tied up with a lager), and that it might be the cause of the tangy taste.

Damnit anyway! I just bought like 8 packets of Notty to stock up for spring brewing, and I pitch my first one about 30 hours ago on a Stone Ruination clone and NOTHING... not enough a bubble. This is really frustrating! If I get nothing I am pitching something else (US-05 maybe) tomorrow after work (48 hours). This blows.

Same problem here - just bought 5 packs to try it out. Pitched one and no activity after 3 days. I raised the temp and pitched a second, nothing a day later. Finally I gave up and pitched S-05 and it took off less than 12 hours later. We'll see if I managed to escape without off flavors. I'd complain to the manufacturer or the online vendor I bought it from, but I can't imagine either will do more than send a few free packs, hopefully good. The problem started ages ago (see the length of this thread) and so it just doesn't seem worth it to risk Notty again. It's really annoying; the time, energy, and ingredients for a batch cost so much more than the yeast that I'd have hoped no reputable homebrew supply would sell yeast with quality control problems without at least some warning. If I hadn't found this thread I'd have assumed it was damaged in shipping/handling or just really old, so selling it could easily have cost them all my future business.

Same problem here - just bought 5 packs to try it out. Pitched one and no activity after 3 days. I raised the temp and pitched a second, nothing a day later. Finally I gave up and pitched S-05 and it took off less than 12 hours later. We'll see if I managed to escape without off flavors. I'd complain to the manufacturer or the online vendor I bought it from, but I can't imagine either will do more than send a few free packs, hopefully good. The problem started ages ago (see the length of this thread) and so it just doesn't seem worth it to risk Notty again. It's really annoying; the time, energy, and ingredients for a batch cost so much more than the yeast that I'd have hoped no reputable homebrew supply would sell yeast with quality control problems without at least some warning. If I hadn't found this thread I'd have assumed it was damaged in shipping/handling or just really old, so selling it could easily have cost them all my future business.

True that! This thread saved for me also. I now use 1/2 pack notty and 1/2 pack US-05. I did this on my last 2 brews and it worked fine, but I gather it is just the us-05 working alone.

I so badly wanted to have notty work, since I have heard SO many good things before this issue came up. Oh well, US-05 is pretty good to me so far (just have to watch the atenuation... its MONSTER and I had 1 beer turn out drier than planned since I was not prepared for the power of that yeast). Actually, on a side note s-33 has work really well for me as well. My amarillo APA came out awesome using it.

"US-05 is pretty good to me so far (just have to watch the atenuation... its MONSTER and I had 1 beer turn out drier than planned since I was not prepared for the power of that yeast). "
I have a batch right now I pitched with S-05 that is stuck at 1.02 I've warmed, swirled, nothing has worked. I'm on my 16th batch and about half stick at 02 and I've never had one go below 01 (even liquid yeasts and from starters) I guess I'm just snake bit.

I pitched my first pack of Notty since the recall yesterday afternoon. I didn't note the Lot#, but I think it was from Denmark, expiration date 06-2011. I forgot to check on it this morning (oops), but tonight it's chugging right along. Looks like it'll be fine.

Been using Nottingham a few times since the recall, all beers started on time and went as per normal. Good, cheap yeast at low temps.

I just brewed a batch of the OSH clone and tried Notty with this lot and exp. (1087117102 with an expiration of 06-2011, Denmark)

I had no activity after 72 hours. I pitched a packet of Muntons Gold and it took off.

I emailed Danstar and they said that they were not aware of any issues with that batch. I also informed them that I shinned a flashlight through the packet and you could see light coming threw the pin holes. The asked me to mail the packet and they would return some packets for the cost of the postage. It was only $0.75 to mail them to Canada so I will win if they send me 2 packets and of course if they both work!

I doubt you'll consider it a "win" if the batch is spoiled and you have to dump all the hops and grain, which happened to me. In my case, irreplaceable home grown hops.

It is inexcusable that these retards are still having this issue. I am so done with Danstar.

I just brewed a batch of the OSH clone and tried Notty with this lot and exp. (1087117102 with an expiration of 06-2011, Denmark)

I had no activity after 72 hours. I pitched a packet of Muntons Gold and it took off.

I emailed Danstar and they said that they were not aware of any issues with that batch. I also informed them that I shinned a flashlight through the packet and you could see light coming threw the pin holes. The asked me to mail the packet and they would return some packets for the cost of the postage. It was only $0.75 to mail them to Canada so I will win if they send me 2 packets and of course if they both work!

I just don't like the invariable dicetyl that comes with US-05. WL Cal Ale is so clean, never off-smells or flavors. I'm done with dry yeast.

True that! This thread saved for me also. I now use 1/2 pack notty and 1/2 pack US-05. I did this on my last 2 brews and it worked fine, but I gather it is just the us-05 working alone.

I so badly wanted to have notty work, since I have heard SO many good things before this issue came up. Oh well, US-05 is pretty good to me so far (just have to watch the atenuation... its MONSTER and I had 1 beer turn out drier than planned since I was not prepared for the power of that yeast). Actually, on a side note s-33 has work really well for me as well. My amarillo APA came out awesome using it.

I doubt you'll consider it a "win" if the batch is spoiled and you have to dump all the hops and grain, which happened to me. In my case, irreplaceable home grown hops.

It is inexcusable that these retards are still having this issue. I am so done with Danstar.

Amen, Brewinator. I too am done, and will never buy another package of their garbage ever again. A damn shame though.

Guess its good ol' coopers :)

Chalk up another one. I am a loyal US-05 user unless I'm looking for a particular flavor profile and it just so hapened that a couple of weeks ago I decided to make a mild and figured that Nottingham would fit the bill. I knew nothing of the ongoing issues with this yeast at the time. Pitched at 70*F and sealed it up at about midnight on Friday 02/12. I had zero activity until Monday night at about 6:00pm I finally started seeing some tiny bubbles forming on the top edges of the wort. I let it go and hoped for the best. At this point I had already made some notes in my log that the ferm was taking a long time to start and WTF? Well, today I racked to secondary to cold crash for a week before bottling and hmmm... PHENOLIC aroma and flavor. I got the full on smoky plasticky smell and to a lesser extent flavor. Danstar can kiss my ass. I'm not even going to bother complaining to them cuz I sure as hell won't put any more of their yeast in my beer EVER. For the record it was lot #1087117102 exp 06-2011. All my processes and sanitation are solid and the yeast is the only variable that changed in that batch. It was only a 7 pound grain bill but it still pisses me off. I lost a brew day and a batch of session beer due to the incompetence of Lallemand Inc. Thank you A-HOLES!

I am truly shocked and amazed- I included my cel # in the signature of the email I sent this afternoon and within 2 hours of the email I received a phone call from the local Danstar rep stating their apologies and and concern with the issues I as well as others have experienced witrh the Nottingham yeast referenced. Apparently they changed the company they used for the packaging of this yeast and the stamping equipment was perforating the sachets and allowing oxygen / contaminents into the yeast packages. This sounds like a realistic explanation of the issue I and others have experienced, and I have to say I am floored by the speed of the response. I work in a customer service oriented industry and this is a wonderful example of how to engage a displeased customer in an effort to retain their patronage. The rep also stated that they will be forwarding me replacement yeast plus extras for my inconvenience in this matter. I figured since I advised on the negative, I should also advise the positive.

I made a EDWort's Pale Ale and was so nervous about using Nottingham(this was the packets that they sent me back when I returned the recalled packes) I made 2 starters just to make sure they take off and they both did and I pitched into my 2-6 gallon carboys and they are fermenting like mad.

I've been using Nottingham for the last 3 months with perfectly fine results - just wanted to put some in to the positive column.

I have been using Notty exclusively for quite a few brews. No problems at all. I always make a 1pt starter just for my piece of mind, it verifies good yeast and gives them the ability to grow some. I get aggressive fermentation in a couple hours at 65ish degrees.

Another Notty +1

I have had good results with Notingham's.

Two cups of warm water and it looks like they rehydrate and start foaming. That's what I've done for the last three batches that I drank and also for the one I bottled tonight.

Made a batch of Edwort's Haus Ale the other day. Pitched Notty, and had/have the most vigorous activity I have seen yet. Looks good so far! :)

A follow up to my conversation Sunday with the Danstar rep - today I received via priority mail three each sachets of Notty, Windsor and Munich yeast and a nice Danstar hat. I am impressed by the response and the fact that they believe in thier product that much. If nothing else I feel I have been fully compensated for the lost batch of mild (aside from the initial irritation of course). I guess they will get another shot - they put forth the effort so I will too.

I found this thread after seeing no action on my red ale for 48 hours. I too have Danstar Nottingham Lot 1080360088V 8/2010 exp. I also saw that static cling of yeast to the bag when I opened it. I thought I may nave had a bad batch. There was a slight pressure as seen in the bubbler. But then it was gone. 72 hours nothing. This morning 84 hours nothing. I went to work and came back to nothing at 90 hours. I took the lid off and hardly saw the fine bubbles. There was a bunch of yeast floating. I checked with the hydrometer and the reading was 1.010 down from OG 1.040. I guess I can relax now.:ban:

I hated this yeast in my Irish Red, first time I used it and it had an unpleasant ester, and I mother f'd it since then. But the nasty ester went away after a couple of months, left a nice pleasant, very subtle fruitiness, and it just won a gold medal last weekend. Sooo, sorry Nottingham.

im still trying to get the "off taste" out of a batch that had a 72 hour lag...i'm just bulk conditioning and the yeast is cleaning it up...slowly. It's still on my sh*& list though...

I may forgive eventually but just love safeale products and never had a lag >12 hours on 20+ batches with us-05/04...

I'm sure i'll use notty again...just not in the foreseeable future.

I have had good results with Notingham's.

Two cups of warm water and it looks like they rehydrate and start foaming. That's what I've done for the last three batches that I drank and also for the one I bottled tonight.

This is my usual method, and has worked everytime..

Made a batch of Edwort's Haus Ale the other day. Pitched Notty, and had/have the most vigorous activity I have seen yet. Looks good so far! :)

Same here, brewed Haus Ale, and BM's Centenniel on Wednesday. I had practiced making a starter with a pack on Notty the week before. I started with 1 cup ELDME in 1 qt water. Then stepped that to 2 cups in a half gallon. I ended up with a nice 2-3in thick layer in the botton of the growler..
I then split this between the 2 batches brewed.

It's not looking normal tho.. I have a thick layer of "conglomerate glop" on top of both, no krausen whatsoever, and very little bubbling.
I didn't get the date on the initial pack, but I tossed in another pack each lastnight that I received from BMW. They are lot 1080961099V exp; 12-2011.

Gonna check reading tonight and go from there..

Just to up-date my earlier post, I received 3 packets of Notty for the 1 that I mailed back to them after I had no fermentation and holes in the packet. It was also a month to the day after I mailed it to them that I got the new yeast. I noticed that the packet's lot # and dates are now ink stamped instead of impression printed, so it looks like they have changed their packaging methods.

Chalk up another one. Brewed a cascade pale ale Sunday and decided to pitch a pack of notty that I've had sitting around for a while. While I didn't take note of the batch numbers, I bought it last fall so the timelines match up, and here we are Tuesday morning and nothing. I'm fermenting in a 6.5 carboy so I can definitely tell there is nothing going on.

Guess I'll head to the LHBS over lunch and grab some S-05 to pitch tonight.

Back