Nottingham Yeast is not active

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guinjasp

Reaction score
Hi all, brewed a stout on Monday and put in a package of Nottingham yeast into my Fermzilla. Today I see no activity at all. I took a temperature reading and its at 20 degrees C.
I wrapped my Grainfather blanket around the vessel in hopes to get it moving but, when I look on the manufacturers site it says between 17 to 21 C is the optimum. Any ideas? I was going to put the heat belt around it also but, don't want to leave it unattended as I had a spill out once.
Thanks

Did you take a gravity reading?

More than a couple times, I did not "see" activity and took a reading and surprise! teh beer was working just fine.

Always take a gravity reading before you make any decisions.

It's not at all unusual to see very little activity or krausen. It's probably fine. gravity readings is the only way to really know if it's moving. If you didn't take an OG then you really have nothing to compare to.

Nottingham, like many ale yeasts, can act pretty quickly. The main part of the fermentation might already be done. A hydrometer check will tell you for sure.

Back