Nottingham Lot 1080486V Exp 08/2016

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannPM

Reaction score
I used this in a stout Saturday night. I opened the package and something was off. It was a sour smell but I pitched anyways.

I had never used Nottingham before so I didn't think much of it.

Looking back this was a bad call, something was wrong with this yeast. It was not a normal yeast smell. It was an acidic sour smell. No carboy activity whatsoever, no krausen, no swirling, just still wort for 4 days now.

Was this a one off or did anyone else have problems with this lately? I posted the lot number for reference.

If nothing has happened after 4 days, it was probably just a bad packet. I would pitch another packet of Nottingham or something comparable if you are scared of Notty now. It's a nice yeast, though. I wouldn't be too scared.

https://imgur.com/ItT9mZf

Just now at about 87 hours I'm getting this in the image with positive airlock pressure as well. Looks like there were at least some viable cells in there...

I'll repitch tomorrow if no krausen though, we'll see.

Very interesting. I made 10 gallons of a beer similar to the Centennial Blonde last weekend. I divided into 2 fermentors and pitched a rehydrated pack of Nottingham into each one. One took off within hours but the other had nothing. I waited approx 48 hours and still nothing. I pitched another pack of Nottingham at that time. When I opened the fermentor there was nothing (it looked just like the day it went it). Now it's going good.
That pack of Nottingham yeast was the exact same expiry date and lot number as yours. It should of had some viable cells in it since it sill was good date wise. So that one I rehydrated in 86F water and it was just yeast slop and water but I thought it was maybe because it was at the lower end of the recommended temp for rehydration. The other pack (much newer) I rehydrated at 92F and it looked like it should of.
It's interesting to hear that others with the same lot have had similar issues. I didn't notice any off smell with mine though.

I pitched a pack of Notti this past weekend in a 1.055 Pale Ale. I did not notice the lot number or exp date. I simply hydrated and pitched. It started within several hours like the old reliable I've come to expect.

Back